Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
There are indeed corresponding marks on the piston. Not dents so much as silver marks. And it fits in with the engine being locked into TCD on pistons 1 and 4. Possibly when I was putting the camshaft locking tool in I did it. I'm so stupid! But you live and learn. Hopefully it won't be too expensive of a mistake. At least I now know what happened, despite my denials to the contrary. I couldn't have done this without all the help from everyone on here, so a big thank you to you all! It's not over yet, but hopefully the end is in sight.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
New valves and stem seals and I'm sure it will be like new. Might be worth checking valve guides while it's off.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Zelphium, if it makes you feel any better, I've been reading this thread and it's way past what I'd be confident tackling and your updates make a good 'warts and all' read for anyone else to follow. Far too many threads can be frustrating dead ends when people either give up or don't want to flag up making an error that could happen to anyone. Chapeau for sticking with the task and the reports (y)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thank you! I've had cylinder heads off before, done many piston rings too, but never on a car with an overhead camshaft. I always thought it was terribly difficult, and it has caused this massive hiccup of the valves getting damaged, but in fact it's not a problem, you just have to use the timing tools and lock things in one place.

What I have found to be a problem though is things getting jammed after 16 years, the difficulty of doing things for the first time (it's so much quicker the second time!), lack of space to fit tools in (though jacking the engine up and down has helped hugely), having the engine mountings attached to the timing chain cover, and having the darn air conditioning pump in the way. As long as you have the Haynes manual and a basic large and small socket set, torx sockets/ bits plus some basic tools like screwdriver, long nosed pliers, mole grips etc and of course axle stands it's really quite straight forward. I have needed a drill and a Dremel as well to get the last of the exhaust manifold nuts off!

I might do a new post when all is done putting what I've found and tools needed in one place. I haven't fixed this car myself out of a desire to do so but rather to save a tonne of money I can't afford, but I have had the time to do so as well. It's actually been a lot of fun in hindsight, even if it has been stressful at the time. It's felt like an achievement, and something that persevering with is slowly conquering!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Also, I have to say, the Corsa is the nicest car I've ever had! It's a lot newer and smaller than other cars I've had, but I just love it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I tried to drill out the studs today. I need to wait for new valves and associated paraphernalia to arrive before I start on that, hopefully tomorrow. Drilling the holes was OK, but the cheap stud removal kit I got on ebay snapped in the hole. I think because it's hardened it blunted my drill bits trying to drill that out as well. I'm changing tack and will try a chuck type remover and failing that fluted type removers, which should arrive on Monday. Also I'm going to try a T27 torx bit socket.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
There’s only one kit which works ok. I had this problem before and I tried a cheap removal bit.
However, this kit costs as much as a second hand engine, so not ok for this job now.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I had this on my Z18XE project:

Drilled in the middle of it:

Hammered the corresponding stud in it:

And rotate it out. Stud has 6 sharp edges which fix into the broken bolt. Very elegant and effective solution.

Now sit on a chair. This is the Facom extraction kit:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Sorry about the lack of updates. I've been staring a new job.

That kit looks good. I think the cheap stud removers really aren't good. The stud remover that looks like a drill bit worked well on full studs that you could grip at the bottom, but one stud it could only gripped near the top broke, and the short ones it didn't get enough grip and slipped off. Both sets that went inside drilled holes failed. I ended up with 5 broken studs, 2 with broken tools in them.

I ended up taking the cylinder head to a local garage I trust as they are far more experienced with such things and have better tools. They didn't try to drill them, but just welded nuts onto them, so it would have been better if I hadn't drilled some of them out. Even with the welding the studs kept breaking and it took them two hours to get them all out. Total cost, £120, but it was nice to get this roadblock out of the way.

The car's now all back together and running well, I finished it last night and it was fairly uneventful. Fingers crossed it will last for a good while.

I've certainly learned my way around most of the Corsa engine, and now feel confident taking the cylinder head off an overhead camshaft engine. I doubt it will be the last time!

Thanks for all your help. It's been a trial, but I got there in the end. I'm just lucky I've had the time to do it and most of the tools.

I had to get a hire car for the last week. I got one of the new fiestas. It was interesting, and certainly fast, but so many design flaws. I really love my Corsa already, I've only had it 3 months, and I was worried it might seem old and naff after such a new car. There's some nice things about the fiesta but the Corsa really is so much nicer on so many ways. It feels so much easier to drive. It doesn't have the multitude of design flaws that the fiesta does. It's just so much nicer of a car, and a nicer design, that I've learned to appreciate the Corsa so much more.

It's great to be back on the road! Cheers guys!

61 - 70 of 70 Posts