Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Newbie here, hope someone can advise if they had a similar issue in the past before I spent £££ on a garage that will say they couldn't find any problems.

I've got a 53 plate Corsa C, recently whilst driving the dash lights on the right side (battery light, ABS, EPS) of the instrument panel will flash on/off and the radio will cut out then come back like it has been switched on/off (code thingy). It is like when you start the car and turn the key and wait for the lights on the dash to go out.

It seems to happen mainly when turning or going over bumps in the road so far. I think that there maybe a loose connection somewhere or something?

So far I've done/checked the following:
Removed the radio (in case it was the cause).
Removed Dashcam (in case it was the cause).
Tested battery with multi meter.
Checked fuses for dash lights.
Plugged in a fault reader - No codes found.

I am going to remove the BCM cover to see if there is water inside, though some of the screws are rusty and heads have gone bad.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Have a look around the ignition switch. They have been known to fail and switch off while driving due to excessive wear. Remove the covers off the steering column and with engine running gently wiggle the connections and the switch, if it cuts out there is your fault. replace the switch. Also check the wiring to the back of the dash/dials there was a recall to modify the plug many years ago that may not have been done to yours yet?

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
Yeah check ignition. Had similar problem on my 2003. Ignition was full of pocket fluff. Got into ignition lock. Could pull out key and ignition would stay on for radio. Took plastic Cowling off and got buckets and flushed ignition out with some high pressure oil in a can and a long pin and can of air. Sorted it after that. Just make sure steering lock is not engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok - I will take a look at that. I also noticed when turning the main headlights dial on the dash will dim and sometimes the radio we go off say code and then on again. I know this will be pulling more amps for the lights but I never noticed the dim dash light before. I wonder if this is related at all? Anyone know a good car electrician in the East London area I can take to have a look at?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can add the speedo is also dropping to 0 when hitting larger speed humps. I have read on here that it could be the connector to the dash display behind working it's way loose.

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
Ok - I will take a look at that. I also noticed when turning the main headlights dial on the dash will dim and sometimes the radio we go off say code and then on again. I know this will be pulling more amps for the lights but I never noticed the dim dash light before. I wonder if this is related at all? Anyone know a good car electrician in the East London area I can take to have a look at?
That’s also sounds like a bad earth. Check earths on body shell. Also was told there is an earth that is above the beak peddle that can become loses. Self taping bolt. Usually replace with nut and bolt sorts it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok , I will take a look at the earth cable. Does anyone know where they all are? I found 1 in the boot next to the light and1 next to the screen wash . I will check on the pedal, but where are the others all hidding?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, today I think I found all the earth points and cleaned, WD 40 all of them. I noted that the battery has an earth cable on it that runs to the bulk bit in front. The bolt was loose and I could move the cable with my hand under the bolt. I have now tightened this down.

Could this be the cause of my problem?? and does anyone know what this earth cable does on the battery?

Thanks for any advice..

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
31 Posts
Yeah that would be it then. Would give you bad charging of battery and also cause electrical problems. Some time even damage the alternator regulator. Have seen a vw golf that it even damaged the ecu but not on Vauxhall’s. But now that tighten back up should be no electrical problems. If all working fine now.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
That's the main earth from the battery to the cars chassis. The other earth from the battery runs to the engine block/bell housing. That could be all the problem is. See what happens over the next few days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts