Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new alloy frm vauxhall yesterday and took it to Hi-Q to get a tyre put on it, when they were fittin it to the car they saw that the discs were in dire need of replacement. With this new dilemma in mind i was wonderin' if any of u guys had upgraded ur disc brakes and if so how much it cost??
Any help would be much appreciated :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
to tell the truth mate i wouldn't be suprised if there is nothing wrong with them.companys like this always say things like you need new brakes and tyres just to get your custom.as for upgrades i think chris uk has the ebc drilled and grooved discs

·
Registered
48 Posts
how old is your car mate? are you sure he said discs and not pads? discs last quite a long time before they become in dire need or replacement

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
maybe the pads, not the disc, as the boyz have sed, its souds like this place is after more money outta ya

if you hear the words "seems to be some rust under your car, but we can fix it for you" or "hmm, this seems loose" hide your wallet and run away, money grabbers!!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've got a company car as well and the place I used to take it used to put discs and pads on every service! (10K)

Some places really take the piss, even more so when they know it's a lease car. It seems to be a licence for them to print money!

Pop the wheel back off and have a feel of the disc edge. If there is a lip on the edges of ther disc then they probably do need replacing but if not then it's generally OK.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
I had to have mine changed at about 18k, the discs are really soft on these

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had some greenstuffs put on after about 21k, discs were fine. Can tell the difference now though. The greenstuffs really eat into em. Im upgrading to SRi dics and calipers now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car got delivered in january 2002 and since then ive done nearly 21,000 miles and ive gone through 2 sets of brake pads. I cant really tell if the brakes are workin well cos i only got the car bck frm the repair shop last week and everythin feels different. I was goin 2 get a big brake conversion nxt yr anyway so i suppose il get another garage 2 look at me discs(this time my m8s cousins garage)

·
Registered
190 Posts
My car got delivered in january 2002 and since then ive done nearly 21,000 miles and ive gone through 2 sets of brake pads. I cant really tell if the brakes are workin well cos i only got the car bck frm the repair shop last week and everythin feels different. I was goin 2 get a big brake conversion nxt yr anyway so i suppose il get another garage 2 look at me discs(this time my m8s cousins garage)
Do you drive like a maniac?

I would say that i brake hard, I live in the country. Done 28K miles still on the original pads and discs

When it had its second service i said to the guy, he said they were fine. A warning light will come on when they start to get bad.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldnt say a "maniac". as most my friends have much faster cars e.g. 2.0L nova and 2.0L Audi A3, it takes me time to catch up and so i have 2 brake harsher.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
corsa-sxi said:
kash so u have had ur discs and pads changed? how much it cost? vaux charging £120
The parts were about £90 I think. I got it all done with the MOT, so labour/parts and MOT were £167 altogether, so £120 sounds about right

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You should get 50k out of discs - if you use stock pads. The discs on the Corsa do seem to wear quite quickly though - my C only has 1700 miles on the clock and there's maybe 1mm worn out of the discs already. The amount of brake dust is shocking, considering I don't drive or brake hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts