Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does drilling the airbox effect the fuel efficiency? i get around 360 miles to a full tank so will i get less if i was to drill the airbox? does it sound nicer? will i need to buy a replacement panel filter?

cheers for your help

jamie

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
You can leave the same filter in, you will still get a better noise when you accelerate and it 'gulps' for air.

As for fuel efficiency, it will move down a little bit, but not a lot.

Noonster reckons he couldn't tell any diff on the mpg's after having his done.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what if i was to put a k&n panel filter in will this make any difference? i aint lookin to gain power i just want a nice noise so u rekon this is my best option?

how much is a little bit?

is it easy enough to do?

know ur stuff kash don't u m8, top bloke!

cheers m8!

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
You gotta be on the ball, and I don't miss a post.

Looking at the other posts on here, the noise just with a filter is minimal, whereas drilling will improve this quite a bit

The mpg's loss aint a lot from memory, but I can't give exact figures as I never knew em in the first place

If what you are after is a nice noise and as little a loss as possible on the fuel then buy the panel filter (k&n or whoever) and drill the bottom of the airbox. Don't worry about the mpg's it aint worth counting.
And 'is it easy?' you are drilling plastic! The airbox cover comes off in seconds and the filter lifts out of the way. drill and be happy. replace the bits you took off and it's done. 5-10mins tops

K

·
Registered
11 Posts
HELLO I WOULDNT WASTE YOUR TIME BUY DRILLING HOLES IN YOUR AIRBOX AS ALL IT DOES IS MAKE A NOISE AND YOU WILL LOSE POWER AT THE END OF THE DAY. (TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE)

THATS WHY THE MEN WITH THE WHITE COATS AT THE FACTORY MAKE THEM WITH OUT HOLES.

·
Registered
48 Posts
scott said:
THATS WHY THE MEN WITH THE WHITE COATS AT THE FACTORY MAKE THEM WITH OUT HOLES.
the men in the white coats just dont want us to have fun.

also, if every car has the airbox drilled as standard then they would all sound beefy and then it would be cooler if your car sounded quiet.
if you know wot i mean :shock:

ah, ignore me :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 'airbox mod'

Lets not forget to mention a well-publicised (yet moronic) airbox 'mod' I've come across quite often: It involves drilling holes to the lower part of the airbox. Lots of them. Claimed benefits include more noise and more power (in that order).

I fail to see how letting an engine breathe warmer air can lead to an increase in power. The airbox intakes are not that restrictive, either.

Another claimed benefit is that the 'mod' is free. Again, I fail to see how it's free when you have to go and buy a replacement airbox later on (when the novelty wears off).

·
Registered
11 Posts
checked out that site looks good but still why drill holes in the box when all you are doing is sucking up hot air from the engine compartment.

plus their is a wheel arch guard under the box so where does the cool air come from??
if you like the extra noise then so be it but as for extra power i agree to disagree.

if you are sucking in extra air hows your fuel mixture?? run to much air and your valves will burn

·
Registered
972 Posts
Another claimed benefit is that the 'mod' is free. Again, I fail to see how it's free when you have to go and buy a replacement airbox later on (when the novelty wears off).
Ahahha well said Scott, I agree if you want Noise + Power go for a cone filter with correctly fitted cold air pipe directly over the top of the filter. Hot air is less dense therefore less Oxygen content giving less burning and less power!

·
Registered
771 Posts
All you do is srill below the filter n at da front of da box, then you run a cold feed from da lower grill

power loss is none compared 2 an induction n fuel comsumption hardly changes :p

D

·
0 Posts
I have my airbox drilled as kash stated!!

My car seemed to pick up faster and gave off a little bit of noise..... well worth doing one of the best FREE mods you can do...

OH and the K&N Filter claims to give an extra 3bhp - however i find this a little hard to believe.... maybe an extra 1bhp

·
Registered
729 Posts
Noonster said:
I have my airbox drilled as kash stated!!

My car seemed to pick up faster and gave off a little bit of noise..... well worth doing one of the best FREE mods you can do...

OH and the K&N Filter claims to give an extra 3bhp - however i find this a little hard to believe.... maybe an extra 1bhp
Well it certainly doesn't feel like an extra 3 horses under there!

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
More like 3 seahorses :lol:

Saying that, I've been running for 5 days now with this and a tank of Shell Optimax and it feels great in comparison to standard filter and the sh*t peetrol I'd been using

1 - 17 of 17 Posts