Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just found out that the car I bought for the Mrs comes with its very own swimming pool (nice of the previous owner to inform me of this considering he kept it in a garage and obviously dried it out before I bought it!)

I'm gonna attempt to fix this myself as most of it looks easy enough, not a fan of messing about removing the pedals but needs must. I've found a few video guides on YouTube but none of them mention how much sealant to use or if you're supposed to wait till it dries before reassembling it.

So yeah, the question is how much sealant should I use? Do I just put a nice neat bead around where the old seal was once it's removed? Do I go mental and use 2-3 tubes of sealant? Do I wait till it's bone dry before reassembling or can it be reassembled straight away?

·
Registered
391 Posts
You can do it without removing the pedals and steering column. Just move the master cylinder to one side then remove the servo(you'll need to unclip it at the pedal.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've managed to remove about 95% of the old sealant, looks like someone already had a go and just put new bathroom sealant over the top of the old stuff and only on one side ?‍♂?‍♂

I'm really struggling to get the thing spotless as it seems to be leaving quite a lot of white adhesive behind (mostly on the corners) ... I've been trying a knife, screwdriver and brake cleaner but can't seem to get anymore off. Do you think that amount left on will be OK or do I definitely need to find a way of getting some more off? (I'm gonna brush it all clean yet so all the loose blobs and bits of dirt should come out)

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
just rake a knife or a screw driver where the seal is, get as much as you can out, should be fine then, after a clean, only took less than half a tube of sealer to reseal it, when i did mine, 7 years ago, not leaked since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the result so far, I decided to use quite a bit of sealant at the bottom as I don't know if it was just due to the angles or something but the gap seemed a LOT bigger than at the top! Also given that the water pools up if the drain gets blocked I imagine the weakest point would be at the bottom... Plus I'm not planning to attend car shows so I couldn't care less about how crap it looks as long as it stops leaking ? (you should have seen how crap my Clio looked after I'd gotten annoyed that the previous two attempts to fix the notorious sunroof leak didn't work!!)

Keeping in code with typical Britain, I spent ages drying it all off after cleaning it up (the best I could after 15 years of labour)... Started applying the sealant and the heavens opened ? luckily I opted for 'Plumbers Gold' which claim to work even under water so I just kept going ?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I need to do my driver's (left) side. I thought I had a magically unaffected car, but that's summer in Malaga for you. The one day of heavy rain produced the "press the carpet and watch the moisture rise" effect. Now, it's standing on the drive in UK winter and I had to take the floormat out before it drowned. I shall bring it down to Malaga and muck about (the aerial seal also leaks) in brighter weather.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It looks quite wet and muddy in that picture. I'd advise washing and drying with a hair dryer or some such before applying the gloop, and smoothing it into the crack with a bit of plastic bag or some such after to make sure it's in good contact. You can get a tube of Gorilla sealant which works well for £2 and a gun for £1 at Poundland. It's an easy job to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sons 2018 Corsa now has a lovely pond in the drivers footwell, as it’s still under Vauxhall warranty I’ve called Pentagon to ask them to look at it, they’ve been super helpful :rolleyes: and have booked it in for 3 weeks time; the soonest they could offer apparently! My question is, is the car ok to drive, it seems to be just the carpeted area, but is extremely wet, the water covers your hand when you press down on the carpet. If anyone can offer any advice I’d be very grateful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for replying! Yes, it’s not good at all, I did expect Pentagon Vauxhall to be a little more helpful too.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I didn't know the Corsa E had the prob also. That said, my 2006 Focus gets a damp rear n/s footwell if left standing parked nose up so it seems to not just be limited (but notorious) to the Corsa C.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This could be a heating system leak rather than a rain leak into the car. If it's just happening when it's raining then that indicates the latter, though if it's anything like the Corsa C then either are easy to fix. Keep an eye on the coolant levels if they are going down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it’s rain, it’s definitely water and it’s been raining all day here. I mopped up the excess with a few towels before and it’s filled up again, I’m presuming if the heating system had dumped all it’s liquid in one then it wouldn’t refill? Not that I know much about all this :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
It could be a slow leak, and might look like water, but not likely really. The coolant is in the white container on the passenger side in the engine bay with the yellow cap, at least in the Corsa C. If that's all leaked out you definitely wouldn't want to be driving it, but it sounds unlikely. Still, checking wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Put your finger in and taste it. If its sweet it's from heater. If it's not sweet its rain. If you ain't sure then dip your finger in coolant and taste it. It's not something you can mix up unless you got no taste buds lol. Dont drink it either or it will kill you.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Or any greenish-bluish tinge to the water caught up on the kitchen towels? On a 2018 car, your coolant will likely still have its colour. You're probably thinking "ick" at the thought of pressing your finger into the floor carpet and licking it.

Ethane-1,2-diol is the antifreeze, as recommended by Italian mafia wine adulterers - twice the punch. Would hate to see you getting an addiction for it, licking the carpets before you can face going into work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
? thanks for the information! It’s got no colour, no odour, but I’ve not tried tasting it yet... I’ll give that a go tomorrow. After begging with Pentagon, they’ve agreed that the local dealership will look at it on Friday, if there’s still no joy after that it’s a wait until the body shop branch can do a full investigation on 23/03.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts