1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Corsa 1.3cdti 2004 40,234 miles on the clock
Engine management light comes on shows car shape with a yellow spanner inside
No codes on OB2 reader
Car is running fine doing 50 mpg exactly I just did 450 miles and filled to the top 9 gallons since it was last filled I do this every time bearing in mind it's probably 3-4 months since I last tanked up I do about 1500 miles annually so that return over short mileage runs is very acceptable .
Any ideas I have been trying to charge the battery every few months .
Had a brand new alternator , battery , glow plugs 2 years ago .
Could it be a service light ? And if so how can I switch it off

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
the service is marked as INSP on the mileage screen, at least in the Spanish corsa, it restarts by pressing the cusdro button and putting the contact, it is restarted with loose crepe dashes and it is already

·
Registered
265 Posts
Throw your OBD reader in the bin where it belongs. After you've done that go beg, buy or borrow yourself an OpCom, Vauxcom or Tech2 and plug that in to retrieve the codes. If the engine light has been on there will be a code.
There is no service light!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will try the pedal test at the weekend .
Will have to research Opcom ,Vauxcom,Tech2 is there anywhere I can read up on them ?
Maybe my local mechanic has something will give him a call

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again tried to do the pedal test and it doesn't work for me ?
My friend tried it as well to no result either
2004 Corsa cdti
Pressed brake and accelerator fully down , put key in switched to ignition 2 , fan comes on and the ignition sequence starts as normal no flashing spanners light at all is it in the same place as when the eml light comes on ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok How much does Opcomdianotics cost also I do not own a laptop only a PC tower so unsure about the software I read about .
I live in Bury Lancashire ( near Manchester North west UK ) any suggestions where I might get it code read I will try calling my local mechanic on Monday not sure if Roy has Opcom .
Sorry to be a Newbie if there is a link to information I don't mind reading up on the correct forum
Hope you can help
Thanks Andrew

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update managed to get my local mechanic to have a look he said he would see if his Snap on reader would find any codes etc no idea what model it was .
It brought up Egr valve and Maf
It even managed to look at live data whilst the car was running and the Egr valve was ok once it was revved up so going to throw a cleaner through it and I am doing a long run on holiday in 4 weeks so fingers crossed it will burn off some of the sticky gunk in the Egr valve at it will be ok for a while .
Any advice on best rev range to clean up Egr valve doing that 150 mile each way trip soon so I am hoping a long run at motorway speeds will be sufficient with a cleaner in at the same time .
Purchased a cleaner called 'Clean Drive' by ecomotive £14 bloody quid Ouch!!!
Roy the Mechanic said to ignore the Maf as it was running fine under live data and they either work or fail unless someone else reckons it's best to change it .
Just so I have some information in case the Egr valve gets worse or fails will the car still run ok with a fully stuck Egr valve or will it go into limp mode .
How dificult is an Egr valve to replace on a 2004 Cdti and approx how much is the part Roy my mechanic is now 68 years old and close to retiring and didn't seem to be too enthusiastic about replacing it said it was on the back of the engine and a bigger to get to .
I think whilst reading a forum post I saw a new Maf at £90 from the main dealers not sure if this was a petrol or diesel or if there is any difference in price , but that is not disastrous expence if I have to change it .
All in all if this is all the issues I have I am pretty happy .
Thank you for all your contributions further information gratefully received .

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
MAFs are different. For instance, my 1.7 DTi has a different MAF to the 1.7 CDTi MAF. That price sounds ballpark for a Bosch: you do NOT want the £25-30 ones on ebay or some motor factors. The C is a car that is notoriously finicky about OEM sensors and the cheaps are not only a waste of money but also of time and can cause a lot of frustration.

That said, it's a lot of dough when it could well be not the cause of your problem. First off, look under the airflow direction arrow for the GM part number of your current MAF. It's different even on the Corsa D 1.3 CDTi MAF - maybe any will work and the number was changed for no reason but maybe they won't. There could be a used Bosch on ebay around £20. If the swap makes no difference it's not highly likely to be another dud, you've saved a wad and you have a cheap spare for when you next suspect the MAF.

That said, though, a good diagnostic is a better bet than replacing stuff and seeing if it's a fix. Snap-On might be better than an ebay thing and Torque Lite (I use a cheapy myself just for vague clues) but it's still a generic and Opcom does a lot more, and more accurately.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not got a laptop so Opcom would be an expensive outlay .
Also it sounds quite technical so even sure I could use it properly .
Maybe someone in the local area might have it and I can just pay to have it checked .
Will get this long run and cleaner done in a few weeks then see if I get any further EML warnings and go from there .

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It's a decent plan. As per my PM, I found Opcom a bit daunting as a non-mech mind and I remember Marks152 (who seemingly can fix anything) writing once that it can make a car a paperweight in the wrong hands. A bit of Italian Tuning (spirited driving at high revs) with a bottle of detergent additive has cleared a code on my diesel Combo and removed the excessive emissions of the 1st ITV (MOT) for my petrol Modus to nearly zero. It won't do any harm if you still end up needing a more thorough clean or replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts