Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
once again coming here for advice. Must have hundreds of threads on here now. Love this forum though and do really appreciate the advice I get. This car will be the death of me, but I can't seem to bring myself to get rid of it. Very annoying. Regardless, need the advice for the following.

So my corsa c 1.2 life has been making an awful knocking noise when reversing/jerking car or releasing clutch hard or fast. I had a look underneath but wasn't sure. I then got my mate to record the engine whilst I reversed it back (video attached) and its clear to see the engine moves quite significantly which I would of guessed means engine mount going.

I don't mind doing the job myself, I know now this sh** bag of a car like the back of my hand, however I am unsure of which engine mount I need to replace, as I am led to believe there is 2/3 on the car, and in which case what part number it would be.

Is anyone able to shine some light on this? I have put the video on of the engine moving when jerking back, you can also hear the knocking noise too. The engine vibrates fairly excessively too so I am almost 100% sure that it is one of the mounts, just not sure which one. The mount I can see near the gearbox is pictured, just not sure which part numbers it is and if it is definitely this one that has gone, and how hard it is to replace.

it has got a lot worse recently, hence I am keen to get it sorted.

Video link:

Pictures;

tia

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You are correct there are 3 mounts on the smaller engined Corsa C's, righthand under air box, rear as in your photo's and the lefthand gearbox mount.
I have just replaced the left gearbox mount on my 1.2 as it was torn and causing judder when pulling away. They don't always look damaged until they are removed. I picked up a mount a while ago from an auto jumble so not sure if the part number on the bag is correct.
20210405_092858.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there a way you can differentiate between which mount will be faulty then? with there being 3 of them, I'm unsure which is causing this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Take a lever and move them, the one that has more slack will be the culprit, if not another is that someone stalls the car or you see how it moves when you hit it, they accelerated, it looks like the box because it is who stabilizes the jerks when accelerating and retaining

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I had a look today. Got my pry bar and tried to move the left mount by the air box, and the right gearbox mount: left seemed fine, right didn’t move much either but couldn’t help but notice there is a big cap, (could put my finger through) around the sort of rubber ball joint there (I’ve attached pics of what I mean)
Other than that I couldn’t find anything else.
I couldn’t at the time jack car in the air to see if it could be the bottom gearbox mount.

is there any other ways of testing this as I’m still unsure

thanks
FAAFA07E-AC60-436E-AF19-91DEE073E975.jpeg
7796D584-104C-4E98-AAFC-4128C4542960.jpeg

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Your left hand mount above gearbox is shot. I can see that from the photo. When yo take it out you will see how bad it is compared to a new one. It may even fall apart once out.
First one to come up on a search, £21

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your left hand mount above gearbox is shot. I can see that from the photo. When yo take it out you will see how bad it is compared to a new one. It may even fall apart once out.
First one to come up on a search, £21

I can't thank you enough, I didn't know. Do you know if they are hard to replace? Is it the one with the gap in? so not the one nearest the air filter, the one on the opposite side obviously. in this case does the engine need to be jacked up, is there any tutorials on it or anyone on here that can guide me through it? as i will try get it done this weekend its got so bad

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't thank you enough, I didn't know. Do you know if they are hard to replace? Is it the one with the gap in? so not the one nearest the air filter, the one on the opposite side obviously. in this case does the engine need to be jacked up, is there any tutorials on it or anyone on here that can guide me through it? as i will try get it done this weekend its got so bad
sorry to spam, I am guessing its the 4 bolts that are bolted to the body of the car. and then two bolts on top and it comes out like that?? is that right and in that case will the engine need jacking up?

thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
There are Poly inserts to help this problem (though obviously these don't replace broken mounts). Please double check these are the right ones for your mounts

Links:
- Here
and
- Here

·
Registered
439 Posts
In Spain there are usually rented garage boxes, the normal thing would be to hold the engine with a crane for engines and change it, I do not know what they are worth, but if it is not so simple I would take it to the workshop so as not to eat the problem

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
sorry to spam, I am guessing its the 4 bolts that are bolted to the body of the car. and then two bolts on top and it comes out like that?? is that right and in that case will the engine need jacking up?

thanks again!!!!
yes, put a piece of wood on the jack to take weight of gearbox, remove the 2 bolts on top of mount to gearbox first, then the other 4 mount to body, you may have to drop the box down on the jack a bit to get mount out, i cant remember,, been that long since i done it, the standard mount will be fine, no need for polly mounts, hope that helps ya.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes, put a piece of wood on the jack to take weight of gearbox, remove the 2 bolts on top of mount to gearbox first, then the other 4 mount to body, you may have to drop the box down on the jack a bit to get mount out, i cant remember,, been that long since i done it, the standard mount will be fine, no need for polly mounts, hope that helps ya.
couldn't thank you enough. bloody love this forum. thank you, so i just jack the gearbox up?
Hope to get it done this weekend then, seems simple enough. bit worried about the 4 bolts holding it onto the body though as they look fairly corroded... but will see how it goes.
When you say drop the box down do you just mean when It's jacked up? or lowering it another way?
Probably better off putting the car on axle stands too aren't I for better access? was just going to do it on road outside house but probs want car in air a bit to get jack underneath the box

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
chuffed with this forum. just ordered Starline one for CP4L as they have next day delivery. its got worse so need it asap.
Are starline any good? i usually use MOOG when I can however they only stock starline mounts for this engine.
Pretty chuffed its this mount tbh, didn't fancy laying on my back to do rear box mount. least I can do most of this one from engine bay. Don't know how I thought this one was ok tbh. thank god again for this forum ...

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
couldn't thank you enough. bloody love this forum. thank you, so i just jack the gearbox up?
Hope to get it done this weekend then, seems simple enough. bit worried about the 4 bolts holding it onto the body though as they look fairly corroded... but will see how it goes.
When you say drop the box down do you just mean when It's jacked up? or lowering it another way?
Probably better off putting the car on axle stands too aren't I for better access? was just going to do it on road outside house but probs want car in air a bit to get jack underneath the box
no ya dont need axle stands to do this, if ya jack fits under the front bumper to the gearbox, if it dont fit, just lift that side of the car and put a length of 4x2 under the tyre so ya can get the jack under the gearbox, with a bit of wood in-between the jack and box, if ya jack has a pad on it, then the wood wont be needed, get a small wire brush and brush the bolt heads, spray some wd40 on them, each day up till ya ready to do the job, you may need a breaker bar and a long extension to remove the 2 top bolts, when ya put the jack under the box, just take the weight of the box, dont jack the box up to much, in fact it hardly should move.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
one other thing........... have ya tried rocking the engine back and forth with ya hand, does it move, rock

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
one other thing........... have ya tried rocking the engine back and forth with ya hand, does it move, rock
okay thanks - I will see if my jack will go under the bumper in that case. its just a normal trolley jack so can't see why not but I will have a good look this weekend. In meantime as you suggested il douse in wd40 and give a good clean ready for job on sat fingers crossed. got a breaker bar so bolts should be fine.
and yes I have tried rocking it with my hand. It doesn't seem to move no, but as per the top video it does move quite significantly when its jerked back.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
As Andy said, jack under the gear box with a bit of wood or rubber on it to take the weight, undo 2 big bolts into gearbox, lower jack slightly, undo 4 bolts into chassis leg and remove the mount. you will have to unclip the clutch pipe from under ABS unit to get enough space to lift mount out. Refit in reverse order.
No need for the poly bush, they are just a "gimmick" and not needed on a basic road car. I only have rubber mounts in my 2.2L litre Corsa's and never had a mount go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As Andy said, jack under the gear box with a bit of wood or rubber on it to take the weight, undo 2 big bolts into gearbox, lower jack slightly, undo 4 bolts into chassis leg and remove the mount. you will have to unclip the clutch pipe from under ABS unit to get enough space to lift mount out. Refit in reverse order.
No need for the poly bush, they are just a "gimmick" and not needed on a basic road car. I only have rubber mounts in my 2.2L litre Corsa's and never had a mount go.
thanks both for your advice. Seems easy enough then. Just cut some wood up to go on my jack. Gonna nip out after work to wire brush the bolt heads then hopefully if mount gets delivered today il be doing it tomorrow morning fingers crossed.

thanks all for your help, cleared it up for me :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Some photos of the process and the change would be helpful, to help others who suffer the breakdown and you get a good brico

1 - 20 of 25 Posts