Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I noticed fuel pump wasn't priming, linked 12v across relay swich and pump started to prime so I suspect and have ordered another relay.
Is piston 1 at tdc though. I'd throw no more parts at this until you found what the issue is with compression. I had a astra a few months back with same issue and low compression like your and it had been cranked that long it had washed the bored down. Had to pour a load of oil down each cylinder and turn it by hand with the plugs out. Then suck as much oil as I could before refitting the plugs. Make sure plugs are bone dry. Heat the tips over a flame to dry them. One refitted it went first go. It was unreal. Never seen borewash drop compression to less than 5 bar. The cars still running fine today and compression was later checked and all had returned to over 13 bar.
Sounds a good possibility , I will give theoil try and

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I noticed fuel pump wasn't priming, linked 12v across relay swich and pump started to prime so I suspect and have ordered another relay.
Sounds a good possibility , I will give theoil try and
Report back. I did the compression test by starting the engine and reading the guage. Is this wrong?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
No, that's fine. Should allow pressure to build until.it no longer goes up. Your readings are miles low. Should be nearly twice what you got.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I put new fuel pump relay in, and put oil down into the cylinders and got between 10 and 12 bar across all 4 cylinders. Engine then started straight away. Plenty of smoke but engine revved freely and then after a few minutes I let it tick over but it died. Would not restart.
Checked compression again and readings had dropped to original values 4 to 7 bar. So re-oiled and changed plugs, engine started again and run freely throughout rev range for about 5 minutes, hoping it would then be OK, dropped the revs but rather than tick over it died again. So back to the same problem, not enough compression. No engine fault codes. What does this now suggest?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Are you saying probably new piston rings, or rebore? I guess what I don't understand is that the engine was going really well before the belt failure so don't see how the compression should suddenly be so low across all 4 cylinders since the top end rebuild.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts