Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now then, just a quick one, I've had a read through the forum but there's not a huge amount about wheels on combos unless someone can link me the one I've missed?

I've bought the van for a few hundred quid, it's clean and runs smoothly, but would like to sort out a few bits on it, firstly being the wheels. I've seen a few but wanted to ask what a good fitment would be. 15" bbs I'm looking at along with some older vauxhall alloys.. If anyone had anything to add with spacers, fitment, the etc then I'm all ears! It'll mainly be used for some motorway miles up urn a little weight in so nothing major but don't want it to look completely standard, however as this is a third vehicle for the house my Mrs is going mad at me, costs must be kept low. My ideas below feel free to smash them to pieces and let me keep it real, the prices will be mainly second hand, questions to follow!

Wheels and tyres £3-500
Shocks or springs £2-400
Front drivers seat or both front £100
Double din and fitment kit £100
Speakers/sub £200
Exhaust stainless maybe just backbox £1-500

So here she is.

So in order..

Wheels

A few I've thought of but can't find pics of anyone else running something like this or similar.

Anything anyone has for sale or any pictures world be great. Fitment, 4x100 obviously but do you go staggered with them like?

6j front and back, what size tyre on 15s? Or should I be looking at 16s?

No t sure about colour yet but probably black.

Shocks/springs

I've heard about skeins from astras or other vehicles mixed on front and rear dropping between 30and50mm what would fit best with the 15s so as not to scrape too much.

Seats

I've heard meriva seats go in perfectly, any other suggestions? I'm just really wanting the drivers but both would do if the price is right, any for sale?

Double din and speakers

Got these sorted. Cheap Chinese double din and fitment kit. Got a load speakers i can pick a couple that fit or retro fit then in somehow nothing flash just decent enough to sing along on the drives and handsfree.

Exhaust

Can I get any that fit other vehicles or are they specific to the combo? I may just get a backbox bit wouldn't mind a full stainless. Any for sale or pics suggestions etc.

Thanks for reading, and commenting if you do!
Pick her up Saturday, can't wait

Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got to love a Combo,

I've lowered mine on H&R springs with standard shocks and fitted 17" Pentas from a Tigra with no rubbing or fouling anywhere. They were specifically for the Combo too but you can use Astra H rear springs as it shares the same back end, there's videos on YouTube.

I've fitted a set of half leathers from a Corsa D to mine, although you can make anything fit if you have the time.

The exhaust is a pain because the Combo backbox is quite long. I ve fitted a couple of different ones to mine but settled on the 3 1/2" because I thought it looked better, each to their own and all that though. If you do choose an aftermarket backbox you will have to extend the backbox to the center section or it'll sit inside the back bumper.

This is how mine sits just now.

Get a sub in the back for some proper bass too lol

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got to love a Combo,

I've lowered mine on H&R springs with standard shocks and fitted 17" Pentas from a Tigra with no rubbing or fouling anywhere. They were specifically for the Combo too but you can use Astra H rear springs as it shares the same back end, there's videos on YouTube.

I've fitted a set of half leathers from a Corsa D to mine, although you can make anything fit if you have the time.

The exhaust is a pain because the Combo backbox is quite long. I ve fitted a couple of different ones to mine but settled on the 3 1/2" because I thought it looked better, each to their own and all that though. If you do choose an aftermarket backbox you will have to extend the backbox to the center section or it'll sit inside the back bumper.

This is how mine sits just now.

Get a sub in the back for some proper bass too lol

Thanks for the three reply pal, appreciate it.

I do like the look of yours with the wheel size, the seventeens do fit well, I've got three sets of alloys in the garage for my other motor so did think getting fifteens would be cheaper all round and not look too bad, it is a Cheap van after all, might look at some other bigger ones now though.

Nice heads up on the exhaust, seems like valuable information there :)

That sub enclosure is way better than in thinking haha pimp my ride east your heart out ;) I'll wait until I've got it infront off me and stripped the front out before deciding what speakers go where!

One question for you, if you were given one today completely standard what three things would you do to it first?

·
Registered
111 Posts
In my opinion you can't beat a nice stance and wheels, so that would be 1 & 2, 3........ Probably the seats, I was lucky enough when I bought the van from a family member the seats were already fitted with a leather SRi steering wheel.

Have a look on Google, Cav slabs, cross spokes, Tigra front ends, Combo trailers lol, it's all been done, it's just how you want to put your spin on yours.

Personally I like to be different, I don't like having the same as other people so I just bought these

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion you can't beat a nice stance and wheels, so that would be 1 & 2, 3........ Probably the seats, I was lucky enough when I bought the van from a family member the seats were already fitted with a leather SRi steering wheel.

Have a look on Google, Cav slabs, cross spokes, Tigra front ends, Combo trailers lol, it's all been done, it's just how you want to put your spin on yours.

Personally I like to be different, I don't like having the same as other people so I just bought these

Are they old nova three spokes?? Back in the day i was a pepperpot and xr2 lad when my pals had novas i did have a turbo i.e for a while too around that time. I bet they'll look good on yours, what colour you going to go with them?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think they're Antera 109's, they're 17's too as I didn't want to go smaller than that, took me forever to find a set.

I've decided to go with white for the wheels to match the van, hopefully it looks like I think it will, I'll be a happy camper lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they're Antera 109's, they're 17's too as I didn't want to go smaller than that, took me forever to find a set.

I've decided to go with white for the wheels to match the van, hopefully it looks like I think it will, I'll be a happy camper lol

Nice. Really like the sound of that, we'll keep an eye out for when you've got them on. Thanks for the input mate appreciate it

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
wu11ie's done a nice write up of his Combo which, I think, is in the progress thread section. My write up (not so nice - I talk too much but there are some pictures too) is definitely in that section
and Peps has one for his 1.0 C and his Combo.

Progress section is worth a large thermos and full pack of Hobnob's of your time. The ones I've linked take you to the end, which could be handy (especially in my thread) for cutting out some early guff of the "look, I polished my van!" variety. There are some others in the section - just look for Combo in the title.

I have tried several alloys on mine. 15s (especially if tyres are a separate issue) are dirt cheap but many of them get kerbed (Corsa C drivers in the 2000s must have been the world's worst parallel parkers). 15s for a D have an ET which pokes them out a bit more than the Cs and suits the Combo. 16s are now affordable compared to just a few years ago. I have facelift D SXi/Sri alloys in black. My favourite; but the 55 tyres can rub a little at speed over country roads and they also take a bit off the acceleration. I have C SRi 16s with 45s and they have great characteristics. 185/55/15 and 195/45/16 will allow the same lowering options (which I haven't tried).

Tigra and C seats are the easiest. The Combo's sit higher because of raising blocks at the front that are removed in order to use the C/Tigra runners but the Combo's rear raisers are welded onto it - the result being that those seats will give you 1-2" of extra headroom in what is already a tall cab. Bit weird at first but I got used to it. Leather from an Exclusiv was my bag but the late (2009) Tigra has the nicest leather seats (and height adjustment on both seats).

I think the Combo looks better with a facelift C bumper in body colour but white can be hard to get hold of (I got two now but each took patience). However, and more is in my progress thread, my absolute favourite upgrade for the 1.7Di is to fit the intercooler and hosiery to make it equivalent to the 1.7DTi. No ECU alteration is required and you should be OK with insurance by telling them it's now a DTi. Your 0-60 goes down from >16s to <14s and the real-world 30-70 acceleration is transformed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wu11ie's done a nice write up of his Combo which, I think, is in the progress thread section. My write up (not so nice - I talk too much but there are some pictures too) is definitely in that section
and Peps has one for his 1.0 C and his Combo.

Progress section is worth a large thermos and full pack of Hobnob's of your time. The ones I've linked take you to the end, which could be handy (especially in my thread) for cutting out some early guff of the "look, I polished my van!" variety. There are some others in the section - just look for Combo in the title.

I have tried several alloys on mine. 15s (especially if tyres are a separate issue) are dirt cheap but many of them get kerbed (Corsa C drivers in the 2000s must have been the world's worst parallel parkers). 15s for a D have an ET which pokes them out a bit more than the Cs and suits the Combo. 16s are now affordable compared to just a few years ago. I have facelift D SXi/Sri alloys in black. My favourite; but the 55 tyres can rub a little at speed over country roads and they also take a bit off the acceleration. I have C SRi 16s with 45s and they have great characteristics. 185/55/15 and 195/45/16 will allow the same lowering options (which I haven't tried).

Tigra and C seats are the easiest. The Combo's sit higher because of raising blocks at the front that are removed in order to use the C/Tigra runners but the Combo's rear raisers are welded onto it - the result being that those seats will give you 1-2" of extra headroom in what is already a tall cab. Bit weird at first but I got used to it. Leather from an Exclusiv was my bag but the late (2009) Tigra has the nicest leather seats (and height adjustment on both seats).

I think the Combo looks better with a facelift C bumper in body colour but white can be hard to get hold of (I got two now but each took patience). However, and more is in my progress thread, my absolute favourite upgrade for the 1.7Di is to fit the intercooler and hosiery to make it equivalent to the 1.7DTi. No ECU alteration is required and you should be OK with insurance by telling them it's now a DTi. Your 0-60 goes down from >16s to QUOTE]Can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply pal, i anyway went through Wullies progress thread but will happily wade through the others you linked though so thanks again. I'll have a read see what I can pick up there on those first belt along a million other questions! One though, if you had a bog standard given to you what three things would you do first?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
You've incorporated your reply into the quote, but I saw it on the expansion. My top three are
1) Alloy wheels (15s or, better, 16s)
2) Body colour bumper
3) Intercooler

an almost 3=) goes to the leather seats because I can do 7hrs/day driving down to Malaga. Standard Combo seats are quite good for 3 to 4hrs, but they look dull.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You've incorporated your reply into the quote, but I saw it on the expansion. My top three are
1) Alloy wheels (15s or, better, 16s)
2) Body colour bumper
3) Intercooler

an almost 3=) goes to the leather seats because I can do 7hrs/day driving down to Malaga. Standard Combo seats are quite good for 3 to 4hrs, but they look dull.
Glad you could decipher my jumbled reply!

I'm on with some 16s now so all good on that front, do you know how much they could be lowered by just by swapping springs to fit nicely with the appropriate tyre size?

I have set up searches for bumpers on a couple of sites.

Intercooler is something I would like to do, i need to get my hands on her first, collecting Saturday morning so will give her the proper once over, gut it and go from there. Can't wait!

Thanks again for helping out pal really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Rust Locker is a good uploader that I've subscribed to. He has plenty of Combo content and (something I like) he includes his mistakes which (in theory) means you don't have to, but I usually make them anyway.

Corsa C front springs work, but the back axle is like Astra G so you need a mix. Peps here mentioned that the Combo FB group persuaded a supplier to provide a coilover set (it can be found on ebay) that's around £280. If I could justify the splurge I would, but the cheapskate route is to look separately for used lowering springs on ebay that can, sometimes, come up cheaply enough as full sets that you can afford to end up with useless corsa rears and Astra fronts.

As you may see towards the end of my thread (well done if you got that far), the D wheels come with slightly thicker tyres so I put my black D alloys on with their 195/55/16s. They do give quite a good lowered look, without the expense (my tyred wheels were cheap) and hassle (even I can change wheels). As I mentioned, they did make the occasional brief rubbing sound. Not over speed bumps or potholes, but going hard over undulating country roads. The 195/45/16s on my C wheels return it to the normal gap to allow for (stiffer, to avoid the same problem) lowering springs. Me personally, I still like to see the full circle so 30mm would be my choice but you'd want more than that for the slamming look.

Now's a good time to give a rough idea of your location. I have a pretty regular, sad, addiction for searching Corsa, Combo, Tigra and even Meriva so I can flag up items of interest (probably in your PMs to avoid guffing the thread - a cease and desist also stops me). If you're in my radius, that would be even easier for my hunting and I have some double-ups that you could grab. Intercoolers come up, but the trick is to get them before some breaker brute cuts through all the connecting hoses which are pricey to replace new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rust Locker is a good uploader that I've subscribed to. He has plenty of Combo content and (something I like) he includes his mistakes which (in theory) means you don't have to, but I usually make them anyway.

Corsa C front springs work, but the back axle is like Astra G so you need a mix. Peps here mentioned that the Combo FB group persuaded a supplier to provide a coilover set (it can be found on ebay) that's around £280. If I could justify the splurge I would, but the cheapskate route is to look separately for used lowering springs on ebay that can, sometimes, come up cheaply enough as full sets that you can afford to end up with useless corsa rears and Astra fronts.

As you may see towards the end of my thread (well done if you got that far), the D wheels come with slightly thicker tyres so I put my black D alloys on with their 195/55/16s. They do give quite a good lowered look, without the expense (my tyred wheels were cheap) and hassle (even I can change wheels). As I mentioned, they did make the occasional brief rubbing sound. Not over speed bumps or potholes, but going hard over undulating country roads. The 195/45/16s on my C wheels return it to the normal gap to allow for (stiffer, to avoid the same problem) lowering springs. Me personally, I still like to see the full circle so 30mm would be my choice but you'd want more than that for the slamming look.

Now's a good time to give a rough idea of your location. I have a pretty regular, sad, addiction for searching Corsa, Combo, Tigra and even Meriva so I can flag up items of interest (probably in your PMs to avoid guffing the thread - a cease and desist also stops me). If you're in my radius, that would be even easier for my hunting and I have some double-ups that you could grab. Intercoolers come up, but the trick is to get them before some breaker brute cuts through all the connecting hoses which are pricey to replace new.
What a stand up guy you are, i truly appreciate the help with this!

Finally picked her up on Saturday, have driven her as a daily driver since then when I don't have the kids with me, to get a feel for things and so far the things that need sorting right out of the box are things like loose indicator stalk, damp carpet bottom, new wing mirror glass, non fogged headlights, new steering wheel, gear gaitors and new clips for the wheel arch strips.

I've sourced nearly all the bits mentioned above other than deciding on headlights as I may get the tigra front end. I'm in Leeds and there's someone selling the full kit. Bumper, headlights, bonnet and wings for £100 which seems like a no brainer to me but just not sure on the look of the wings, i do however fancy a new bumper with fogs so the decision is still unmade.

16s and 30mm drop sounds ideal for me, although I'm still toying with 14/15s I don't know why, other than the tight yorkshire blood in me not wanting to spend a load on wheels. I did think about selling a set of 5x120 18s I've got in the garage gathering dust and use that to justify a better set.

I've ordered a second hand copy of the haynes manual to get me proper sizes and placements etc , am going to strip out the front back to seats and metal and work upwards from there in the front, the back is fine for now. Carpeted, grills on the back window and a cage between the back and front. I would like three cage you can fold down over the passenger seat for extra length but that's way down the line as is some storage etc in the boot.

So all that said, plenty of things to do with absolutely no time to do any of it but can't wait to get stuck in to it! I've got loads on search on fleabay and theres an autojumble coming up the next week not too far away from me which I'm going to go scour through and see what else I can find.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Leeds is a not terribly long run across the M62 for me, so let me know if you spot something my side of the Pennines that's "collect only" and I can grab it for you and make a post-May 17th excuse for a drive out. I know the type of cage you mean and will keep an eye. Before I forget, search "vanessacombo" a forum member who hasn't written for a while now but she did a very tasty stealth camper conversion on her Combo 1.7 Di and wrote/pictured up a lot of the work. She's Leeds. There's also a lot of single-entendre banter that she and I went OTT on, so cover your kid's eyes but 'mostly harmless'.

A full Tigra front end for £100 is extremely reasonable (a lot of people think £300 is their starter) but look very carefully. I get the attraction but, as you suggest, the lines of the wings and the creases on the bonnet don't quite match up. Once Peps and (engineering mega-god) Mr Drew pointed it out, I had 3rd and 4th thoughts. Plus, I've only ever seen white Tigras in Spain so there's that respray PITA to consider, too.

I think I can help you out with some of my getting-out-of-control build up of Combo tart-ups that I've built up over the last 18 months. I have 15" C SXi alloys (the ones with all-weathers I run to Malaga on, but I have tyreless ones also) and I picked up some purple 16" C SRi with an ok pair of 2014 but a shot pair of 2016 rubbers for a song. I don't think I can use them and don't want to make a profit if anything can be put to good use by a forum member (ditto with a white facelift C bumper if you scrub the Tigra idea) so maybe there's some point in reading my thread waffle (not usually recommended) as there may be at-cost offloads you could use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts