Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my brakes started to fail on the motorway. No warning light.
I started to lightly brake and the pedal went to the floor. From then on the pedal was stuck high up and took a lot of effort to brake. V worrying. I took it to garage who said it was failed ABS, unusual for a car with 30000 miles on. They suggested take to Vauxhall garage, claiming for manufacturers defect. Vauxhall saying it is a failed servo £800 to fix.
What is the likelihood of Vauxhall paying or partial payment for this? I can’t see it not being manufacturers defect after it failed suddenly and badly without warning.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If the car is under 5 years old it should be under warranty any older and you will be lucky to get any help from the dealer/manufacture some do help and have extended warranty.
ABS units do fail but usually give some warning signs.
Without seeing the car and testing it I would only be guessing at the fault. Hard pedal is normally a failed servo unit though.
If you pump the brake pedal with engine off, about 5 full pumps then hold pedal down and start the car does the pedal slowly drop lower? If yes servo is ok.
After that its hard to give more advise with out testing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the car is under 5 years old it should be under warranty any older and you will be lucky to get any help from the dealer/manufacture some do help and have extended warranty.
ABS units do fail but usually give some warning signs.
Without seeing the car and testing it I would only be guessing at the fault. Hard pedal is normally a failed servo unit though.
If you pump the brake pedal with engine off, about 5 full pumps then hold pedal down and start the car does the pedal slowly drop lower? If yes servo is ok.
After that its hard to give more advise with out testing it.
Thanks for your reply. It is 2013. I am unable to do those checks as it is with the garage .It just seems strange for it to fail so suddenly without warning lights, no rumbling signs. It seems like a completely unsafe model of car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The brake servo is a 100% pure mechanical device so you won't get warning lights, things fail, that's just how it is. Also it doesn't matter if you're driving a £500 car or a £2000000 car, if the brake servo fails the brake pedal goes rock hard and you need to push like hell to stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brake servo is a 100% pure mechanical device so you won't get warning lights, things fail, that's just how it is. Also it doesn't matter if you're driving a £500 car or a £2000000 car, if the brake servo fails the brake pedal goes rock hard and you need to push like hell to stop.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for your reply. It is 2013. I am unable to do those checks as it is with the garage .It just seems strange for it to fail so suddenly without warning lights, no rumbling signs. It seems like a completely unsafe model of car.
Your age Corsa does suffer from ABS unit failure, a common fault but not one Vauxhall will admit to.
Good news is there is a company called ECU Testing that offer a service exchange on your ABS unit for around £150. You ship your ABS unit to them, they overhaul it and send it back. By doing this it will not need reprogramming to the car like if you had a replacement one.
The other common fault which gets missed easy is an Oring to seal brake master cylinder to the servo, these fail and when removing master cylinder fall out and get missed. seen a few do this even by main dealer!! One car had over £1200 spent on it trying to fix the poor brakes and the garage gave up. For the sake of a £1 Oring.
Not saying this is what is wrong with yours but they are known faults with the Corsa D/E
Good luck hope you get it sorted with out to much fuss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts