Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all, went to start the Corsa up this morning as usual. The engine was cold so it needed a bit of cranking. After a few cranks of the key later, the engine would not turn over and is making a whining sound - I believe this to be the starter motor. Does anyone know the easiest way I would go abouts replacing this? Btw it's a 1.2 petrol if that helps

Any help appreciated

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Two things can fail, or the starter motor itself or the electromagnet, the most common thing is that the starter motor fails, causing that when you turn it on, nothing sounds or only a CLACK, if when you gave the key you heard how a buzz like hsce a washing machine? a drill? then the starter motor works but not the electromagnet, which one of the two, is either dead, or has the shaft stuck and does not move, either because of crap

Before changing it, disassemble it, which is next to the flywheel, above the left drive shaft, disassemble it and give it a review with a gasoline rag, and a fine sandpaper on the inside, mount it and that's it, remember to disconnect the battery to do the operation, I imagine that on youtube you will have videos of how to clean them and others, it is a job if you can remove it or if they take it out of complication 4 of 10

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
If you are in the UK it is nearly always cheaper to replace the complete starter motor not just the solenoid if you can even buy them now for the Corsa C?
The starter is at the back of the engine so you will need to raise the car up to work from under the car. Disconnect the battery negative terminal then remove the wires to the starter and then the motor its self.
Some places offer service exchange so you get a deposit back when you return the worn starter motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts