Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called my insurance company to ask how much it would be to change my normal filter to the current filter. The boy on the phones reply was “yes sir that will be £113 for the year.”

I said “£113 to change the shape of a filter …Um okay I might call back thank you”

moral of the story I’m not paying an extra £113 for a cone filter. My question is are there any panel filters which make a nice grumble sound or are they exactly the same as the stock ones?

·
Registered
123 Posts
K&N panel filters are decent, you'll notice exactly ZERO difference when driving though.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It might be worth putting a saved search on ebay. I bought a very lightly used Pipercross panel filter for my Modus and I was the only bid, about £10 posted. My Modus is in Spain and I'm here so I have no opinion on what if anything I'll notice when fitted (eventually).

You might see YT videos where people have removed the filter then used a Dremel to take off the upper half of the plastic piping inside the filter box before replacing. Again, I doubt if there's any performance change but the sound might be different. It does seem to be an unnecessarily restrictive piece and the circle of filter paper closest to it is about the only bit that gets dirty after 12 months, IME.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
K&N or Pipercross panel filters. They work better than an open cone filter but you don't get the induction noise.
I have a K&N and a Piper cat back exhaust on my daily 1.2 sxi, put it on a dyno for a laugh and it was 5bhp up over rated standard power.
Insurance know about the filter and exhaust and there is no change to premium, still £220/year with 5 years no claims.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
z22se makes a good point I hadn't considered in my reply. If you're not desperate to stick with your current insurers (I have a particular reason to) then compare meerkats and consider a cone to fit when you renew with a different insurer having checked them out.

I spoke to mine (esure) about remapping my DTi to ~95hp; helpfully/hopefully explaining that this would be about the same as the 1.7 CDTi. Much sucking of teeth, wailing and beating of breasts then "I don't think we can cover that" followed by they'll just about allow a cone filter with a premium bump. Others, as z22se has experienced, don't consider it a big deal at all.

It all comes down to the actuaries they use. Stats guys; some come to the conclusion that you're donutting in Toys R Us car parks and others think they make no difference at all to risk.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or just fit it and don't tell them, it's not as if they'll ever know.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts