Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at this point we all know how to drive in cold and hot but, I would like to know what you do when starting, if you start without more, if you wait a minute for the engine to heat something, or so

I have a garage and having the mid I put the chronometer always, I open the hood and touch the water and oil tubes until they are heated, the DTI usually takes about 8 minutes when it is cold to start heating the oil filter support and take some heat from the antifreeze bottle, is when I close capo and leave calmly, and you? that's when I close capo and leave quietly, and you??

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
With the petrol Focus, I just listen for the sound of the petrol pump priming and go (although I wish it had the heated front windscreen in winter - it also has the worst internal condensation of any car I've owned). I don't drive the Combo DTi much in winter but, when I have, I know that the entire journey into the city centre and back will be done before the heating is effective and my buttocks will be frozen to the leather seats that I never wired up the heating elements for. As you say, it takes 10 minutes with the engine running for the coolant to heat the cabin and I can't wait that long.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
With the daily driver I just start the engine and go, the Corsa gets a few minutes whilst I close the garage door and fasten the harness but I dont like leaving it idling cold, there's a little too much piston clearance and it rattles like a fifty year old diesel which won't be good for wear...

·
Registered
86 Posts
The time it takes to start the engine. load the car, remove the ice and clean the windshield and windows, get inside, connect the bluetooth, set the music and see how the clock changes 1 minute.

As a side note I have a long, more or less straight, street that's a 40 kmh limit for 2 km. From there on is highway speed. Long idling isn't good either and it takes ages to get to +80ºC standing still in the parking lot.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
that's what everyone says but, using logic, it's no better to heat without a load than by making force on the crankshaft and more temperature in less time to dilate?

Although the surprise took me in a parking lot when an older woman turned on a dti and put it to cut for 20 seconds, put on the belt and left, that the segments is pure health xD

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
In the van I just start, seat belt on and go. First mile is below 2000 rpm as it's a 20mph speed limit but then on to a dual carriageway and 60mph.
It's never cold enough in the UK to worry about letting the oil warm up and sitting on idle does more harm than running at low rpm while driving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Has anyone actually checked how long it takes to the engine to get up to proper temperature?

The reading in the cluster is for water temperature and actually it goes from "cold" to "+80" in no time if you are already at speed(i.eg. highway). Which makes me think that the engine itself usually is not "dead cold" for that long.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some cars usually have radiator heating to warm up before, but it depends on how you drive, the oil, speed, pedal turns etc to say that it warms up before one another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts