Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to flush the heater matrix on my Corsa C following one of the guides. It's not clear to me exactly what hose connector parts I need in order to securely connect it up to the pipes.

Can anyone recommend?

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did this a couple of weeks ago and got everything apart from the hose which I already had from amazon, i have linked the bits below.

19mm ID 5 Metre Length Clear Braided PVC Hose With Synthetic Reinforment - Au.: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
12 Pack Adjustable Stainless Steel Worm Drive Pipes Hose Clamps Clips (16-25 mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
19 mm 3/4” BSP Solid Brass Hose Tail Connector Barbed to BSP Male Thread. Pond/Pool/Hose Pipe Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

it's about £37 all together, unfortunately it looks like the cost on all of them may have gone up or may be cheaper with prime which I cancelled after buying these and you may be able to find cheaper elsewhere.

hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joseph! I will take a look and order what you suggested.

One thing that confuses me is the two different ways I've seen people flush the heater matrix.

1) In this this guide they are flushing through the black pipes:

2)
In this YouTube video they are flushing where the pipes connect to the bulkhead:

Should I do both? What is the difference?

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Ed,

I did the way shown in the YouTube video through the bulkhead, both methods most likely work the same way.

I found the easiest way is to remove them from the bulkhead as you don't require any tools to remove the pipes from the bulkhead as they simply unclip, you can also easily switch between the inlet and outlet of the matrix to flush it from both sides which I recommend as I managed to get a lot more s**t out of by doing that.

just to note the items I suggested are for the same method in the Youtube video so I don't know what else you would need to attach directly to the pipe if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ed,

I did the way shown in the YouTube video through the bulkhead, both methods most likely work the same way.

I found the easiest way is to remove them from the bulkhead as you don't require any tools to remove the pipes from the bulkhead as they simply unclip, you can also easily switch between the inlet and outlet of the matrix to flush it from both sides which I recommend as I managed to get a lot more s**t out of by doing that.

just to note the items I suggested are for the same method in the Youtube video so I don't know what else you would need to attach directly to the pipe if you decide to go that route.
Thanks, I'm going to do through the bulkhead. Just ordered everything :) got the pipe slightly cheaper on Ebay. Will arrive 4th January so will update in the new year. I put this off since the summer but now it's getting cold and my heating isn't working 🥶

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only reason i did it was because my girlfriend was moaning about how cold it was in her car lol
Hi Joseph. I've now flushed the radiator, both ways. How do I completely drain the system? There is still water in the radiator. I have pre-mixed coolant so I need the system to be totally drained.

Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is a tap on the bottom corner drivers side of the radiator, or just open the bottom hose.
Thanks. I did that, with great difficulty. I've pumped water through the heater matrix (both ways), drained the system and refilled the coolant. I'm getting more heat now, but not as much as I remember when it was a new car.

Once it warmed up I drove around, it got reasonably warm, but then when I stopped the air started to cool down. Could it be the thermostat?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I did that, with great difficulty. I've pumped water through the heater matrix (both ways), drained the system and refilled the coolant. I'm getting more heat now, but not as much as I remember when it was a new car.

Once it warmed up I drove around, it got reasonably warm, but then when I stopped the air started to cool down. Could it be the thermostat?
I may also have air in the system. I only used about 3 litres of coolant.

·
Super Moderator
8,460 Posts
a stat is easy and cheap enough to do, if its never been changed, or ya dont know it has, not going to break the bank, assuming you let the car get up to temp, m son had same problem on his corsa c few years back, garage changed water pump, think i remember that cured the problem, it never used to over heat 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You could have an air lock as they do hold around 5 litres of coolant.
When the thermostat fails they usually either run very hot (stat stuck closed) or run cold while driving but heat up when left running parked (stat stuck open) It is also possible the impeller has come off the water pump and needs a new pump, poor circulation of coolant.
Also if the matrix is very blocked it can take a lot of flushing to completely clear it.
I removed one once after trying to flush on the car, flushed it both ways till water ran clear then left it 2 days in a bucket of TFR then repeated flushing and got loads more muck out. Worked great after that.
The matrix is not much to buy new though.

·
Registered
480 Posts
To get airlocks out I remove the expansion vessel cap and run the engine till the fans kick in then refit the cap and let it cool. Once cold go a drive until the needle is moving to 1/4 guage. Now pull over and GENTLY release the cap, you are listening for air escaping. You don't want to get coolant burns. As soon as the air escapes tighten the cap up and continue driving.

That should give a better heat. If not the matrix might be FUBAR.

Cal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts