Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I noticed yesterday that my fuel filter (1.2 SXI) was corroded and appeared to be leaking slightly, so today I thought I would replace it.
What a truly sh***y job!!!!
It was obvious that my filter hadn't been changed in......... well possibly ever!
I was unable to make/bodge a pair of pliers for removing the ends of the fuel pipes so had to resort to slowly digging out the plastic clips with a chisel/screwdriver. It took me over 3 hrs to remove the one pipe from the tank to the filter.
Spurred on by this I then tried to remove the other pipe at the front only to snap the Y-connector hose that returns to the tank!!!!
GUTTED!
A local scrappy has a few Corsas in but there was no way I was gonna lie in all their mud just to remove a pipe so I havd to bight the bullet and get a new one from Vauxhall for £32!!!!
Anyway
If any of you are unlucky enough to do the same here's my little guide on how to fix/repair this.

I couldn't find a clear picture anywhere of where this Y-pipe goes to as it disappears at the rear of the tank.

When you lift the seat and remove the inspection cover, the pipe goes to the left-hand connector of the pump. It is the fuel return pipe.

I disconnected mine at the pump and, as the other end was already broken, just pulled it hard til it came out inside the car.
Now the fun bit.
I have read a lot of threads saying that you need to to remove the exhaust and tank - NO YOU DO'NT!!!!!!!!!!!! And I'm glad that I didnt.

You do have to remove the one strap that holds the tank in, on the drivers side of the car. Two 13mm bolts and the tank will drop about 6 inches. You do not have to remove/unbolt anything else. No other pipes, no wiring, no exhaust.

Once your tank has dropped, go back inside and its time time to use the mechanics second best friend. A long length of red electrical wire.

If you look and feel inside the pump inspection hole, to the left, you will see where the other pipe is routed in. You should now be able to see daylight here. Take your time and feed the red wire down this track and out through the bottom of the car.<br><br>Now, go under the car and retrieve the end of the wire.

Tape the end of the fuel hose to the wire with decent insulation tape and start to feed it up behind the tank and into the car, following the rout of the other hose. It is fiddly but take your time and its quite easy.
Worth noting is that, although the hose is fairly flexable, it is set in a certain shape so try and take this into account as you feed it in rotating if necessary.
Now go back inside the car and retrieve the length of wire with the fuel hose attached.
Untape the hose and fit to pump.
Before you go out and refit the tank, again look inside the pump inspection hole and follow the route of the pipe. There is a little clip moulded onto the tank that this pipe must clip into. Very easy to see and find.
Now go under car again, refit tank strap and fuel filter, start engine and check for leaks. Job done.
Its really not worth paying a garage to do this and I can not express enough , you do NOT, have to remove the exhaust and fuel tank.
I was dreading having to do this, but it only took 30 mins (well add another 15mins because I cross threaded the bolt for the tank strap and had to run a die down it)

Hope this helps somebody out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aah, the power of hindsight. my first Vauxhall after 20 years of VWs. Never needed the pliers before and not worth buying for what should have been a 5 minute job.
I will get a set now. Either way, the pipe was always going to snap ( far too brittle)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I was a bit apprehensive at doing this as no positive replies. Well here's one for anyone feeling the same with this, I have just done the same fix only on the fuel feed pipe that I had been running with cable ties holding pipe to filter until I got the bottle to tackle it & at 63 you tend not to rush into these iffy jobs with petrol / car ramps or axle stands( I used car ramps) that haven't any back up, So anyway thanks the instructions worked for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to add that i broke one side of the clip on the end of the fuel line that goes into the fuel filter from the rear and felt the feeling of dread. Well actually part of the old filter broke off inside the pipe at first it had been on there that long, had to get the long nosed pliers to extract it. Pipe stays on new filter with just one side connected but i know one day i will have to replace it and seeing this thread makes me feel better about it.

I super-glued the broken clip bits in place of where they should be in case anybody checks it but close up it does look a bit stupid and you can tell :suspicion:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone happen to have a part number i can use to find the return pipe with the angled quick connect part mine was as rusty it snaped off into the clip and i broke the clip removing it? Vauxhall wont help without part number 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys just chiming in here - I'm in Australia and serching for either of the UK/European part numbers turn up zilch

Part number 9129788 is what I need, one of the clips just will not budge off of the fuel filter.

I'd settele with wrestling another connector onto the fuel lines, however I don't think that's a possibility

It's part 4 from this page
Opel Corsa C parts page

Does anyone know the Holden Australia part number equivalent?

They're available on Ebay UK, but shipping time and cost is a killer

thanks

Glenn

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I tried looking around but only came up with this suggestion

which you probably know of better than I do. Other searching I tried was a bust; I didn't get a Holden #, just the GM one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried looking around but only came up with this suggestion

which you probably know of better than I do. Other searching I tried was a bust; I didn't get a Holden #, just the GM one.
Better than I did - I sent message to two dealerships with the GM part number, and I haven't yet received a reply, doubtful that I will

I have found this
Fuel connector with barbed T piece

I mangled the connector at the filter after managing to remove that junction connector from the fuel line.

Literally the filter won't come out of the connector, it spins but will not budge - the end must be rusted and won't pass the o-ring

I've disconnected the fuel tank line, it won't feed down with the connector on the end.
I'll be ordering another connector to go at the fuel tank and replacing that portion of fuel line, have to run the bare fuel line up the gap then attach the connector - I'm not keen on dropping the fuel tank

8mm Barb quick disconnect connector

Such an easy job has turned into a PITA.

Hope the links to parts help someone

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
From the looks, autoguru is like an Australian version of the UK clickmechanic. Useful for someone wanting a mechanic or garage to quote for the work (incl parts) but they might not bother if you're just trying to get the part and will DIY. I hope your efforts pay off and you get a solution working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts