Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need to reset the gear linkage on an 06 Corsa C and would like to confirm I am going about this correctly.
Firstly, I bought a T50 Torx to undo the clamp attatching the gear change rod to the gear change mechanism only
to find the torx has been replaced by a nut and bolt. Thats assuming I'm looking in the right place. Could
someone please confirm that the bolt in the photo is the correct one to undo.
Also I have an issue locking the gear stick in position. I have seen two methods to do this. One is to
remove the gear knob and the raise and rotate the plastic clip ninety degreees with the gear stick in neutral.
The plastic clip on mine is damaged so I dont know wether to do that or use the second, which is to align the
two holes and insert a screwdriver. However on mine that would put the gear stick in second gear and over to
the left. Is that the reset position? If not I'll assume I need to raise and rotate the clip.
Hope that made sense.
Best wishes,

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Andy, much appreciated.
Best wishes,
More help needed please. I went through the process and now I'm stuck in neutral with no gears are selectable as the locking pin is still in the locked position as in the photo.
I've read that you just wiggle the gear selector mechanism to get the locking pin in place. Really? The only way I could get any movement in the mechanism was to reach to the far end of the black plastic linkage and lift it. Presumably I locked the gearbox in the wrong position. Also do you lock the gear lever in place before or after releasing the clamp bolt connecting the gear lever to the gear change mechanism.
Thanks and best wishes,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
it shouldnt matter, as long as you put the gear stick over to the left and lined the holes up and put a drill bit in to stop the stick moving.

can i ask what was happening before, why you wanted to reset it?
what parts have you removed, any replaced?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Andy,
The car would not go into second gear which I guess was the plastic linkage problem. However this was on the day before its MOT was due so the garage came for it, fitted a new gear change mech from a breakers and it worked briefly before failing again. When my son approached the garage he was told that they would only be prepared to fit a new unit which would be too expensive. Having read about the plastic linkage problem I said I would reset the unit so that at least we knew that that job was done correctly. Famous last words!
Thanks and best wishes,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just back from the pub:
The plastic link seems secure, my thinking was that the garage had not correctly reset the unit, which had caused it to fail. Resetting appeared to be a straight forward process so I gave it a go. Any thoughts on how I managed to lock the gearbox in neutral?

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
there is no adjustment on the original gear linkage, so if the plastic rod is intact and staying on, i think ya problem may be that clamp bolt round the selector rod in ya first pic, maybe thats the bit that needs adjusting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts