Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking as none of my family know the answer, i drive my C which is insured in my mums name and me as a named driver, my mum also insures her own car and my brothers who hasnt yet passed his test and his car is just sitting on the drive, am I allowed to use my brothers car with my mums permission? is it the car thats isured or the driver? do i need my OWN policy to be able to borrow it every now and again? were with Tesco.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you are a named driver on the Policy that covers your Brothers car then yes, you can drive it.

If your mum has separate policies for your car and your Brothers and you are only 'named driver' on your car's policy then no you can't. Just ask your mum to add you as a named driver on your Brothers car policy.

If its a policy in your mums name with you and your brother as named drivers and covers all 3 cars (ie your's, your mums and your Brothers) then just do a quick double check with the insurers but I'm pretty sure it will cover you.

Mark

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Heres what we have

Corsa - Mums policy holder and me and dad are named drivers
Rover - Mums policy holder Dad named Driver
Punto (Brothers) - Mums policy holder Dad named driver

we have only insured the punto just online and it asked if she or anyone else in the house had a car insured with them atm, so we put her in, so im asuming its a multicar discount thing?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
no u cant

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Asking as none of my family know the answer, i drive my C which is insured in my mums name and me as a named driver, my mum also insures her own car and my brothers who hasnt yet passed his test and his car is just sitting on the drive, am I allowed to use my brothers car with my mums permission? is it the car thats isured or the driver? do i need my OWN policy to be able to borrow it every now and again? were with Tesco.

Cheers

You're insured on your Mum's policy as the additional driver, this means that you are insured to drive that car only on an occasional basis. You cannot drive other peoples's cars under that policy whether you have the owners permission or not, you will not be insured.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts