Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets say i was driving my corsa, and i got pulled for tints, because the cars not in my name, could i still get fined for say having tints on the front, or a small plate for example. ive never been fined, but im assuming so, but this is what im thinking. for usual fixed penalty notices, like speeding or bus lane cams, they send the ticket to the house of the owner. with parking tickets, they dont know who parked there apart from the details on the car, so put it on your windscreen. its all on the basis that the owner was driving, as if i got flashed by a speed camera, itd go to the owner not me until it was cleared up

so say i got pulled for tints, as im not the legal owner, and just insured on it, how would they give me the fine? its not my car, so by giving me the fine, theyve given it to someone who doesnt own it, and i could just throw it away. this might not make sense, so ill try and make it clearer. when they hand you a fine for tints (i dont think they send it to the owners house) and the driver doesnt own the car, how does it work?
was just a thought i had when i was watching cops with cameras.

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
On the spot fine for tints/plate.

They PNC the number plate and send summons or something to the address of the registered keeper.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well they take your name and the registration of the car so surely they can check who is insured for the car, hence finding your address....

Edit - Az knows ;) ^^

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
Well they take your name and the registration of the car so surely they can check who is insured for the car, hence finding your address....

Edit - Az knows ;) ^^
I should atleast have an incling seen as we've recently covered the PNC and FPN's within the last two weeks :p

·
Registered
812 Posts
i cant see them fineing you. If my mum drives my car round to the garage because im at work and she gets pulled up im sure the police wouldn't give her the fine because of the tints would they. surely it would come to me. I know she would tell them where to stick it anyway.

·
Registered
35,110 Posts
Fines are usually done against the driver, not the registered owner (except if the driver of the vehicle can not be ascertained) ;)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I should atleast have an incling seen as we've recently covered the PNC and FPN's within the last two weeks :p
Excellent news, you really need to know about them....

**Pretends to know wtf PNC & FPN's are**

:lol:

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
thats what i was trying to get at, it isnt my car so why would i get the fine?
Fixed Penalty Notices will be given to you the driver, as at the time of apprehension you're in control and responsability of the vehicle assuming it's rights of ownership.

(awaits someone that knows the handle on the law to correct Az if he's wrong)

Excellent news, you really need to know about them....

**Pretends to know wtf PNC & FPN's are**

:lol:
PNC - Where they knock your numberplate over the airwaves and get all your insurance/address/wanteds etc etc details.

FPN - Fixed Penalty Notice (Does what it says on the tin)

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
hows that work? i could share a car, have the car "illegal" with tints and no reflectors, messed up plates etc and the driver would pay? sounds weird
Fixed Penalty Notices will be given to you the driver, as at the time of apprehension you're in control and responsability of the vehicle assuming it's rights of ownership.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
PNC - Where they knock your numberplate over the airwaves and get all your insurance/address/wanteds etc etc details.

FPN - Fixed Penalty Notice (Does what it says on the tin)
Thanking you.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
35,110 Posts
hows that work? i could share a car, have the car "illegal" with tints and no reflectors, messed up plates etc and the driver would pay? sounds weird
exactly mate. Its down to the driver of the vehicle to make sure everything is legal etc before using it. For example, if someone is driving a vehicle, has a serious accident, but the car is registered to someone else. The police are not going to sue the registered owner unless they cant ascertain who the driver was at the time.

·
Registered
35,110 Posts

I dont know as much about the law as you Az, but im pretty sure your spot on there

·
Registered
35,110 Posts
I know the skirting bits around it but i'm pretty sure i'm spot on too from what i do know.
Im pretty sure that goes for any fines too though :\ take that instance where I was done for someone speeding in my car. Because they couldnt get hold of the driver etc, I was done for him not having insurance as i couldnt prove he did have it at the time :angry:

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
its simple. if your driving the car, its down to you to makesure the car is legal and roadworthy whether you are owner or not, if you got pulled over and say it was in ur mums name, and you had bald tyres or the tax had run out, itd be down to you as its your duty to make sure the car is road legal and safe before driving

·
Registered
911 Posts
Think about it man, lets say a thief steals a car (not his car, not registered to him) then he goes on a hit and run and runs 5 people down killing them. You think the driver isnt responsible coz it aint his car?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts