Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I own a 2007 Opel Corsa C Sport 1.4i. C14SE engine if that makes any sense. It has done 413000km and had been super reliable. But now a big problem has developed and I can't figure it out. It started with a slight misfire which thought was spark plugs. Then on a short trip the car cut our and restarted find but as I slowed down to stop it cut out again. started it and it reluctantly started. by the time I got home and came to s stop it cut out again. I put in new plugs and this made no difference. Here are some of the oddities that it does:
Cuts out randomly when coming to stop. Restarting it fires up straight away
Will often idle high, up to 3000rpm
Randomly backfires and cuts out. This has happened 5 times and only when coming to a stop. Backfires once and cuts out.
Cuts out and when cranking its like the timing is out.
While driving engine will cut out for a moment and then back to normal. When this happens the rev counter or speedo cut out as well. Sometimes the power steering will stop working (electric power steering) but the engine is still running.
Power steering did not work for a good while on my way home yesterday but then worked again normally. First time it has happened for an extended period.
Passenger side power window suddenly didn't want to work for a short period. It is now working again.

What I have checked:
All fuses ans relays. No problems there.
All earth points. However I found one point that bolts to the head near the cam pulley side was broken off. This wire is a thin brown one and comes out of the loom where the fuel injector wiring is. I put a new terminal on and reconnected. Not sure if this being faulty has caused a problem somewhere.
Coil pack is ok
Crank sensor is ok and well as crank pulley and key-way.
MAF sensor is ok.
TPS is ok
Idling valve seems to be ok.

I am sure this is some sort of electrical problem. I cannot get any diagnostic info as the clutch/brake pedal procedure does not work. There isn't any sort of sensor on the clutch pedal to tell the car if it is depressed or not.

I am really hoping someone here has had a similar problem and would be able shed some light on this issue

Thanks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Biggest problem is in SA you have different set ups to here in the UK. Different engines and wiring.
Does sound electrical? have you checked the plug on the back of the speedo? On UK models this is known to cause problems.
Also the connections in the BCM box as the box seal perishes and allows water in. Same with ABS pump plug if fitted?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I assume the BCM is the body control module? takes 2 fairly big plugs with a lever to seat it properly? I'll check that out. Would the connector of the ABS pump be an issue? I see it takes a fairly big connector as well.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yes that's the BCM. There are another 3 plugs in that box which connect the front of the car to the dash loom and rear looms.
On the UK cars it's common for the engine oil pressure switch to fail, this allows oil in to the loom causing many faults. Check for oil in all engine plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that's the BCM. There are another 3 plugs in that box which connect the front of the car to the dash loom and rear looms.
On the UK cars it's common for the engine oil pressure switch to fail, this allows oil in to the loom causing many faults. Check for oil in all engine plugs.
Have just checked those connectors as well. All seems fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I have had no luck at finding the issue with this car. What does bother me is the broken earth wire (as per my original post) that is bolted to the head near the car pulley (brown wire) goes to the ECU. I don't know if the bad earth caused a problem with the ECU because that earth wire does go the one of the ECU plugs. The ECU sits against the firewall on the fuse box side. Has anyone had a similar issue.
I got a friend who has had a similar issue with his Hyundai Getz and he replaced the crank sensor and it resolved the issue. I have heard that crank sensors either work or they don't and never have a intermittent problem?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
there should be an earth wire direct to the body of the ECU. if damaged/poor it will cause all sorts of faults.
I have seen and done it myself, added a seperate earth to the body of ECU from a good Chassis ground point. also looped this to the earth that goes into the ECU body plug.
crank sensors can be intermittent to start with. usually worse as engine heats up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there should be an earth wire direct to the body of the ECU. if damaged/poor it will cause all sorts of faults.
I have seen and done it myself, added a seperate earth to the body of ECU from a good Chassis ground point. also looped this to the earth that goes into the ECU body plug.
crank sensors can be intermittent to start with. usually worse as engine heats up.
There is an earth strap from the ECU housing to chassis and looping to the cylinder head as well. All fine there. Going to try get another crank sensor to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is an earth strap from the ECU housing to chassis and looping to the cylinder head as well. All fine there. Going to try get another crank sensor to see if that makes a difference.
Hi my wife's car is giving the exact same problem, did anybody solve the issue. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Welcome to CCUK. I suggest you read through the whole thread and try the suggestions above and, if this does not solve the issue, start a new thread detailing your specific problems and what difference any of your attempts made. You'll get quicker and more accurate answers than you would by asking here. Mekon last wrote on the forum 10 months ago, but Corsaz22se still regularly replies to questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts