Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used head gasket sealant and does it work?
I think my head gasket has gone. Got an old 2007 corsa club 98,000 miles don’t want to spend £700+ on a repair hoping it can last me at least 1 year with sealant.

·
Registered
974 Posts
You mean rad weld? That you add to the coolant?
Only really good for a temporary fix to get you home. It does more harm than good. Clogs up the rad and heater for starters.
Very much doubt it would last a year unless you do very little mileage?
Are you sure its the head gasket? which engine do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All Ik is its 1.4l. Coolant reservoir has brown gunk in and runs out really quick and oil is slightly creamy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean rad weld? That you add to the coolant?
Only really good for a temporary fix to get you home. It does more harm than good. Clogs up the rad and heater for starters.
Very much doubt it would last a year unless you do very little mileage?
Are you sure its the head gasket? which engine do you have?
All Ik is its 1.4l. Coolant reservoir has brown gunk in and runs out really quick and oil is slightly creamy

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used K-seal on my Audi 2.0TDi, they suffer from porous heads but there's no way of knowing how bad it was before I added the K-seal, it only lost around a header tank of water every few thousand miles and steamed it out before it mixed with any oil, got another 3 years out of it after the k-seal and it probably would have gone longer if the new owner didn't smash it up.

Sounds like yours is WAY past K-seal. it'd be cheaper for you to replace the Head gasket and cylinder head with a Complete Vauxhall Corsa

·
Registered
974 Posts
So yours is the Z14XEP engine then?
These do suffer from timing chain cove seals failing and cracked blocks.
I wouldn't bother with K seal or any other rad sealant as it will only last a few days.
Sounds like you have more problems than a sealant will help with.
Pressurise the cooling system, watch for leaks, pressure drop. Then if it does drop remove spark plugs and crank over engine on starter. If head gasket or block is damaged you should see coolant being squirted out of the spark plug holes. If not then timing chain cover gasket is very common fault. Costs about £150-£200 to do it yourself if you use GM parts can be under £100 if you chose to use bargain parts from ebay etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts