Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Corsa C 1.4 Twinport
Ok - so a while back I tried to fit a new heater matrix (HM), thinking it would be an easy task - it was't for me!
The new HM did not marry up to the inlet and outlet pipes - I got ebayed ?
So I flushed the old one and popped it back in.
However, it was impossible to get the pipes to seat fully into the HM again, and to fit the big black plastic clip that holds everything tight was just not happening.
So I'm left with a terribly leaky HM - coolant going all over the place. Probably about 2 litres a month.

Are there any simple ways to seal the connection between the metal hoses that feed into the HM?
I'm thinking maybe some kind of heat shrink wrap, silicone or even fitting some plumbing connectors haha!

Thanks very much for any help

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Hmm, there've been a few heater matrix problem threads in the last few months but not with your issue. Hang in for some advice from better-qualified members here. Sounds like you'll need it - 2litres/month is quite a bit. The only potential help I can offer is that this tutorial for a matrix swap might point out something you've missed...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, there've been a few heater matrix problem threads in the last few months but not with your issue. Hang in for some advice from better-qualified members here. Sounds like you'll need it - 2litres/month is quite a bit. The only potential help I can offer is that this tutorial for a matrix swap might point out something you've missed...
Thanks a lot for your reply.
I followed that tutorial - it was very good and I would've got the job done but I couldn't get the pipes to go back in.
So now I'm just looking for a good way to 'bodge' it! ?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
With luck, some really good advice will kick in tomorrow. I'm one of those people who makes even the simple stuff go wrong so I hand over that sort of work to the hydraulic ramp and ££/hour people without even attempting but others on here might well know exactly where you've slipped up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so it doesn't look like anyone here has any advice to offer... But... I may have a rather crafty solution to this issue involving epoxy, hozelocks (yes, from the garden) and hosepipes.

Stay tuned for a new discussion if this works.

Waiting on the epoxy to cure, then will fit the new matrix with hose modification...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes, sorry that no-one's been in your situation with a fix, but it would be helpful for future passers-by if you post up your solution. Look forward to the update.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the HM is a horrible design, and very very difficult to get the pipes to make a waterproof and pressure proof connection, so I'm modifying the whole thing

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
At 08:00 I started working with the tis2000 instructions printed. Within 1h there was nothing left where the dashboard was, by 13:00 all was back with new heater matrix. Take plus minus some time, it’s been a while back.

6C4B0B51-FE0D-40C0-9AA5-F51F1E67FEA4.jpeg B0C6D3F8-972B-4805-831E-F32ECB4FF508.jpeg C9C2118B-E189-41DA-A0CC-F3513CF9E729.jpeg 574BF9CA-C153-4ED3-8A8F-6924581C7203.jpeg 843F6665-A8F6-4410-AAC9-71AEC73FD56E.jpeg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
??
No way I'm taking my entire car apart to get a heater matrix on - but good work! You're clearly better at car stuff than me!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the last week or so I've been driving around with the heater matrix removed, and a piece of hose connecting the inlet and outlet pipes. AKA 'bypassed' the HM!
It's been pretty cold driving around, but at least I'm not leaking coolant everywhere and cooking my engine!
Still working on a mod to get my new HM connected up nicely...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
(y) for stoicism. My 1.7 diesel takes ages to get warm (most short trips are done before it does) so I know how it's been for you. Worse with leather seats (heated but not connected) so it's a good job it's laid up for winters. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks mate!
Friends tell me too just get a new car, but I love my Corsa and I enjoy working on it - it's a bit of a hobby and I get so much satisfaction from fixing it myself

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Yes, I'm looking on another forum for useful advice as I'll be switching my Combo Tour to Spanish plates now I'm no longer a UK resident. I expect lots of "get rid of it and buy something in Spain" stuff. I'd rather keep my bulletproof Circle-L diesel that does UK-Malaga trips without missing a beat and, when things do give up, they're pretty cheap and low-fuss to replace.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear you mate.
The corsa is so easy to work on, cheap to buy parts for, and there are so many corsas around that spare parts are easy to find!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for that - I've followed that tutorial before.
Everything went fine until I tried to marry the pipes together. Just could not get them to hold together tightly, and the C clips provided were insufficient for the task.

I would show pictures of the mess I've made inside my car, but I'm too embarrassed ?

Will hopefully get it fixed today, but it will still look a bit funny - just have to put the trim pieces back on and forget it ever happened ?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Did you grease the o rings up and the internal aperture of the matrix were the pipes sit before trying to assemble.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts