Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, forewarning I have very little knowledge about cars so any help would be appreciated. I have a Corsa C 2004 1.2 in NHS blue that I have had a few problems with. First problem I had was with the radio as it doesn’t have a code and needs to get a chip rewritten or something to get it working. Just got a new one instead. Second problem I had was with ECU grounding. Thought it was a problem with throttle body so replaced that to find it was not the problem and have now added a new grounding strap.

Now the problems I need solving. My heaters are not getting warm and my temp gauge is lower that it should be. After a bit of googling, I found that both sides of my heater matrix pipes should be the same temp but are not. One is warm the other is room temp-ish. Tried squeezing the pipes as apparently that can get rid of air locks. Still cold heaters and pipe. I am planning to flush the heater matrix with a hose pipe. Is that a good idea?

My other problem is with it running cold apparently some read low and some have a stuck thermostat. dont know how to check for either.

In order to do either of these I think I have to drain the coolant. From what I have seen you cannot mix coolant as it goes rank. I have yellow/orange in it atm but I have been told I am supposed to have red in it. Is this correct and if so how do I flush the whole system? Can it be done with a hose? How much coolant do I need? Is it a simple as unplugging 2 hoses and attaching a hose pipe to one end until just water come out.

I need to do this a cheap as possible without it being bodged so if the costs are 5 litres of coolant + thermostat then that is good for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i had throttle body problems and dash lights flashing and car jerking grounded the ecu to battery and it got alot better but still jerked and engine lights flashed during hard acceleration, i found cutting the red wire to the throttle body motor plug and inserting a 2.5 ohm 7 - 10 watt resistor cured the fault. sound like your heater is blocked and needs flushing with a hose pipe and you probably need a new thermostat to get your engine up to proper temperature. drain coolant into a bowel from the red knob thing at the bottom of rad on air filter side

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Search "heater+matrix+flush" (no spaces) and switch to "most recent" as it's been aired a few times. Be prepared for it possibly needing replacing (not massively expensive) as they often do. Here's a recent thread

·
Registered
712 Posts
To check the thermostat as the engine heats up, the radiator and its hoses must be cold, as the engine reaches operating temperature the thermostat must open, heating the radiator at the same time, if before 80 degrees the radiator begins to heat up, the thermostat is open, you can also check it with the engine warm and on a descent, if it drops below 75 degrees in a short period, it may be open and not close To change it you must change the antifreeze, you empty it, change the thermostat with the gasket, fill in the purges and that's it, depending on the engine it is like this, others the thermostat comes in a "water box" it is called here in Spain, which comes in a casing with tubes and is usually more expensive than the thermostat alone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, forewarning I have very little knowledge about cars so any help would be appreciated. I have a Corsa C 2004 1.2 in NHS blue that I have had a few problems with. First problem I had was with the radio as it doesn’t have a code and needs to get a chip rewritten or something to get it working. Just got a new one instead. Second problem I had was with ECU grounding. Thought it was a problem with throttle body so replaced that to find it was not the problem and have now added a new grounding strap.

Now the problems I need solving. My heaters are not getting warm and my temp gauge is lower that it should be. After a bit of googling, I found that both sides of my heater matrix pipes should be the same temp but are not. One is warm the other is room temp-ish. Tried squeezing the pipes as apparently that can get rid of air locks. Still cold heaters and pipe. I am planning to flush the heater matrix with a hose pipe. Is that a good idea?

My other problem is with it running cold apparently some read low and some have a stuck thermostat. dont know how to check for either.

In order to do either of these I think I have to drain the coolant. From what I have seen you cannot mix coolant as it goes rank. I have yellow/orange in it atm but I have been told I am supposed to have red in it. Is this correct and if so how do I flush the whole system? Can it be done with a hose? How much coolant do I need? Is it a simple as unplugging 2 hoses and attaching a hose pipe to one end until just water come out.

I need to do this a cheap as possible without it being bodged so if the costs are 5 litres of coolant + thermostat then that is good for me.
flush it with a normal water hose,both holes and change sides as many times as possible,putting your hand on the other one to feel whats coming out...it will be rust i believe...clean it as much as you can and use a little bit of lube to put the hoses back on..that worked for me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thought I would give an update of what I did based on your recommendations. Emptied cooling system > disconnected hoses and used hose pipe in outlet of heater matrix until water coming out was clear > reconnected system back up and fitted a new thermostat + seal > refilled system and emptied until water was clean-ish > ran on just water to get up to temp so thermostat would open and water could circulate engine properly > drained > filed back up with water and declogging stuff > ran engine for 20 mins as says so on bottle > emptied loop > 2 cycles with just water > coolant time > run to temp make sure resovour does not drop and no leaks. Car runs up to temp now and heaters are warmer. Heaters heat output is very much dictated by revs. I'm assuming this is normal as it didn't get warm at all before. Res is full of slimey stuff when I took it out during this to try and clean it. Is there any reasonable way of doing it as had to leave it dirty on inside as couldn't get fingers In all way with sponge. Have to do a mates astra thermostat soon-ish so thought I could give any suggestions of how to clean inside res a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I would give an update of what I did based on your recommendations. Emptied cooling system > disconnected hoses and used hose pipe in outlet of heater matrix until water coming out was clear > reconnected system back up and fitted a new thermostat + seal > refilled system and emptied until water was clean-ish > ran on just water to get up to temp so thermostat would open and water could circulate engine properly > drained > filed back up with water and declogging stuff > ran engine for 20 mins as says so on bottle > emptied loop > 2 cycles with just water > coolant time > run to temp make sure resovour does not drop and no leaks. Car runs up to temp now and heaters are warmer. Heaters heat output is very much dictated by revs. I'm assuming this is normal as it didn't get warm at all before. Res is full of slimey stuff when I took it out during this to try and clean it. Is there any reasonable way of doing it as had to leave it dirty on inside as couldn't get fingers In all way with sponge. Have to do a mates astra thermostat soon-ish so thought I could give any suggestions of how to clean inside res a shot.
some garages have a machine that cleans all cooling circuit,my mechanic didn't use it because he was afraid that my heater was so full of dirt or rust that it would blow,so he used only the water hose and it worked..but i m planning on changing the radiator someday because of a leak-sealed now with some liquid- and when i do that i will clean all circuit for sure....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.