Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

So I received the new camshaft sensor for the Z10XEP of my gf's friends car... all seemed well upon fitment and the car was idling slightly quicker than before. After about a minute I refereshed the DTC on op-com and saw the code:

P0340 Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction - intermittent

upon 2nd refresh this changed to

P0340 (9) - Camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction - present...

the same codes that were present before changing the sensor so it appears the sensor may not have been at fault.

Where else should I look next (becoming more expensive day by day it seems) to help diagnose the problem and fix it!

Is there anyway I can check for continuity from the connector to the ecu?

I noticed that the temperature guage does not seem to function also... I will have to check measuring blocks on op-com to see if the coolant temperature sensor is reporting any temperature of normal operation tonight when I get the car to look at again! If it is reading low when I know it should be upto operating temperature then I guess a faulty coolant temperature sensor also!

Lee

·
Registered
631 Posts
Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required

thats about all i can think of if you replaced the sensor

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Unplug it and see if you get a crankshaft speed sensor error ;-) one will use the other if one is dead, eg cam will take over the role of timing if the crankshaft sensor is dead, visa versa. if the crank is dead though its not uncommon for the other to report a problem rather than the dead sensor.

Did you use the timing template to set the cam sensor up.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies...

The cam sensor has one cap bolt holding it in position and a 3 wire connector... I am not sure how a timing template could be used to set anything up with regards to changing the sensor as it appears to be a remove the bolt, take the sensor out, replace sensor in position that fits, replace bolt and connector.

The car had apparently been running fine when she bought it... 5 starts or so later and the engine management light came on and started to lag at about 2500-3000rpm and struggle to rev much more.

I plugged in op-com... it had a lambda sensor code (From rich/lean running due to other problem), a maf sensor fault (possibly also related to the incorrect running of the engine, or dirty sensor that could do with a clean), camshaft position sensor fault... that is all. After clearing the faults the camshaft position sensor code came up straight away. Upon replacement of the sensor the car ran better and idled correctly for a good minute. After starting the car and clearing codes I refreshed the codes multiple times with no error present.

The code then came up as camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction intermittent, and the next refresh... camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction present.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have exact same problem, just had new engine fitted z12xe and keep getting fault code 0340 and used old sensor and a new sensor so its not the sensor thats faulty, any idea on what i could try?

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,367 Posts
Op it's always worth a go just remember to get a original part

As for changing it I wouldn't know as I haven't worked on a corsa c engine in years

Or to both of you have you tried resetting ecu by disconnecting negative off battery for 15 mins (remember if you have standard radio you will need the security code)

Or if that don't work with a tech 2 op-com

Sent from my iPhone 4

·
Registered
240 Posts
ive tryed replacing both sensors and my friend wipes the code it at the garage he works at, he suggests i get a car electrician to look at it, but seems costly to me :(

would a faulty crack sensor trick the engine into thinking its the camshaft sensor then?

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
ive tryed replacing both sensors and my friend wipes the code it at the garage he works at, he suggests i get a car electrician to look at it, but seems costly to me :(

would a faulty crack sensor trick the engine into thinking its the camshaft sensor then?
Yeh it happens a lot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,
Does somebody know what happened with that problem? Any progress with solving it? I'm asking because my car suffers the same...
Honestly I tried measuring the camshaft sensor, as many videos on youtube shows how and checked also in the "Autodata". I also measured the resistance of the crankshaft position sensor just to be sure and the only think I noticed was a higher resistance- 1100 ohms instead of 700 ohms as it is written in the Autodata components troubleshooter.
I haven't tried replacing the camshaft sensor yet...
Any ideas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
well i'm going through the same problem at the min with my 1.2 sxi.. just had vauxhall change the timing chain and the light was on but it was on before it went in and thought nothing of it.
took it to a local garage because vauxhall said they would charge me £30 just to put computer on it (for get it!) so took it to local garage and it was saying cam sensor and lambda sensor so i got the cam sensor changed.. and did nothing so we thought it might be dodgy one so got another one and still same problem so they changed lambda (not cheap) and still coming up with both faults :( .. was looking the other day, at why it's doing it and i found a guy on google with the same problem same type of symptoms as i'm having and he said it was down to the garage not putting a spacer on the sprocket when the changed the chain belt ... hope this helps you any way.. i'm getting mine done this weekend so will let you know if it cures it ! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.