Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my 2003 combo failed it's mot on sticky back passengers wheel binding, I've adjusted it 10 times and soon as I drive the passanger side back wheel startes binding again :(
Any advice or help would be appreciated ; ) its also got high emissions :(
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there. If you want in depth information, write these issues into the search title and you’ll find many different people with exactly the same issues! I don’t know exactly everything about cars, but I had my mot last month:

Handbrake:
I had the rear drums taken off, cleaned up and adjusted. Handbrake passed after this. Maybe the binding wheel can be sorted the same time as this can? It could be correlated to the drums?

Emissions:
Could maybe start small first? There’s a redex bottle that is made to reduce emissions, only costs £10. If that still doesn’t work, check over the exhaust for any holes where it could be blowing.

I don’t have all the knowledge in the world, but don’t worry as I’m sure these can be fixed for you. Just try your best to do your own research before getting scammed by garages.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
With the 1.7 Di, the most likely cause of an emissions fail is that it's been pootled for some while. Mine had been used by a decorator before I bought it and had likely been in town, back and forth to Wickes and customers for months. A generic OBD reader (the £3-4 jobs on ebay) said it had a problem so I (over?)spent £14 on a bottle of Wynn's diesel injector cleaner and a half-tank of Shell V-Power (belt+braces) and drove around in lower gears, keeping it between 3-4k on the revs for half an hour. The error code went. Since then, I buy standard Redex whenever it's £2 in Tesco (normally £4) and add a half-bottle to each tankful. Super clean since. Post up a pic of your MOT emissions numbers, but I suspect some diesel injector cleaner and some good roads (a bit of incline is handy) and lower gears will sort it. Do the same just before your appointed MOT time to be sure. My Modus failed, and it's a 1.4 petrol and the test centre was in Antequera - a half hour autovia drive from my place. I didn't think it would work, but I put in petrol injector cleaner and drove like a git and it passed the retest.

As for the handbrake, Delta Romeo did his rear drums and something came loose inside the drum. It had to be taken apart. Before that, though, it was sticking a bit on the NSR because of the cable which needed replacing. It Y-splits at the rear and may be fraying. DR or Marks152 will have better info; Marks does his drum adjustments blindfold like those Navy Seals do their M16s.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've just been into Tesco today and a bloke was fiddling around with their Redex shelves. Apparently, tomorrow is when their regular promotion will start so I expect it to be £2 tomorrow. I don't think it'll give the system enough of a scrub in short time like the £10+ bottles do, but it's well worth grabbing 5 of those for a tenner and sticking them in the cubbies. Over your next ten fillups (I buy the cheapest diesel - likely made from past-sell-by-date avocados and paella runoff - when in Spain) it'll keep everything shiny inside, in my experience.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Check the handbrake cables. Mine had rusted through about a foot in front of the rear wheel and were effectively seized up.

On your emissions when did you last have the car serviced in particular filters and oil changed?

·
Registered
565 Posts
have a check that the small handbrake cables, where they go into the drum, are very clean, too much dirt alone can stop them springing back into the drum properly when released, and therefore holding the brake on, and also thouroughly clean the runners that are attached to the rear beam that the handbrake cable runs across before they go to the drums, if needs be, spread them a little more open with a screwdriver to give the cables a little more room to move

1 - 10 of 10 Posts