Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, was about to replace maf for 2003 Holden barina, (Australia) bought part and realised it differs from the actual part that’s on the car? Only got the car the same day and was told it needed replacing.

Why is it not the same as every other corsa or barina photo I’ve seen on google?

Im Curious to know.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would hazard a guess, with so little information to go on, that the engine is a 14xe. Which didn't use maf sensors, they used MAP sensors and the photo you posted shows the inlet air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yes thats a z14xe. As above. There is no maf sensor. It has a map sensor on the inlet manifold in front of the throttle body.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks fellas. I just realised that I have a 1.4 sxi and not a 1.8 haha

I am having issues with it and was told by the gentleman that sold me the vehicle it was maf lol. Showing similar signs of maf issues from what I have researched.

looking forward to getting the car home to familiarise myself with it. At the mechanics so hope not to much on the wallet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, The car started fine, idled fine, took it for a slow test drive around backstreets due to no rego couldn’t really head out on main roads to open her up a bit, seemed ok, then got the permit to drive it home unregistered upon purchase. When putting foot down to get to the speed limit car looses power and starts chugging away. Stalls then engine light comes on. He gave me a machine to reset codes with which I did 4 times with the same outcome. No more than a few km travelled. I think he may have know not much more than me about the vehicle to be honest?
The bloke said it has new plugs and Leeds but this happened 4 times before I left it a friends house and got the missus to pick me up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, I did not see what the fault codes were actually. Only erase them and reset to start car and then the process repeated itself ie loss of power/stalling

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s at a mechanics now so hoping he will be able to sort it out and have the best possible outcome. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies, I did not see what the fault codes were actually. Only erase them and reset to start car and then the process repeated itself ie loss of power/stalling
I’m also thinking the fella that sold it had little experience with computer gadget code reading thing 😟

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yes, some people think erasing a code with an OBD2 device sorts the problem whereas it briefly erases the code and the cause still exists. If the mechanic says it's a faulty sensor, tell them to fit a like-for-like OEM replacement. It'll cost more but these cars are notorious for disliking cheap motor factor store no-name copies. Given that your grease monkey will charge you for labour, you don't want the problem coming back, usually very quickly. I've been on the forum 2yrs and wish I had a $/£/€ for every "can't be the sensor because that's been replaced" that turns out to be the £20 sensor that was bought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, some people think erasing a code with an OBD2 device sorts the problem whereas it briefly erases the code and the cause still exists. If the mechanic says it's a faulty sensor, tell them to fit a like-for-like OEM replacement. It'll cost more but these cars are notorious for disliking cheap motor factor store no-name copies. Given that your grease monkey will charge you for labour, you don't want the problem coming back, usually very quickly. I've been on the forum 2yrs and wish I had a $/£/€ for every "can't be the sensor because that's been replaced" that turns out to be the £20 sensor that was bought.
Yes mate, that makes sense. I will see what the mechanic has to say and hope for the best, and get a proper part. Less headaches in the future seems logical 👍🏽

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I spoke to the mechanic today & he mentioned a throttle sensor code? Really hope it gets fixed & I get the car home. The one time I rush a purchase... 😔

thanks again for all of the replies 👍🏼

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It could be just that, which isn't a huge issue, but there are times when sensors get replaced left, right and centre without solving the problem because the ECU's gone dud. It's a time and money-consuming way to find that out and even garages fall into the trap so keep us (well, Marks) updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could be just that, which isn't a huge issue, but there are times when sensors get replaced left, right and centre without solving the problem because the ECU's gone dud. It's a time and money-consuming way to find that out and even garages fall into the trap so keep us (well, Marks) updated.
Will do mate cheers 🍻

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For some reason most regular people and "technicians' seem to think the error code tells you what's wrong, where in reality it tells you where you should start diagnosis..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts