Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
will it depend on your amp. the way to do it is have ur volume at about 3/4, then just have a play and see what sounds good. o and try and play music that you will lisen too.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
its all personal preference at the end of the day i mean obviously nobody wants to have a distorted output, but some people like to have strong bass at lower volumes where as others.. err dont!

so yeh play around with it until you get it just right.

my advice is to grab one of your girl mates to sit there moving it while you are in the front so you know how it performs in your driving position, the bonus hear is that she will hopefully become deaf, and wont hear you call her a bint if she gets it too loud :lol:

G

·
you need to find your comfortable listening volume

and it shouldn't be over 3/4 up

the gain is not a volume control nob you need to set it right with the right amount of bass for the right volume you listen to so if your cd player goes to 60 max you should be listening with having your gain where you want is 40 as you can find going higher on your volume will make distortion

go some where and just see what you can do best thing to do aswell is make all EQ setting son the headunit off then you can set the gain correctly and take all bass boosts of etc

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
The best way to set your gains is with an oscilloscope, that way you can be sure the amps/headunits not clipping. I'm sure Amar will probably put something in here, if not PM him about it. Shouldn't cost much 'cus its not a lot of work, then you've got the piece of mind of knowing everythings set properly.

·
Registered
19,626 Posts
What you normally do is turn your stereo up to 3/4 of its max volume, and adjust the gain until the sub starts to distort, then turn the gain down slightly.
I did mine like this but only to 1/2 volume because i would never have my stereo that loud, i just wanted the bass :D

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah well yeah im not gonna be running it soo loud...

my amp is a jbl 4 channel, 2 channels go to the front comps at 100 rms each. and im sending 2 channels combined to my jbl 5 12 sub, so 200 rms.

yeah i dont want it too loud because alot of people dont like bass, especially girls and also i take my mom shopping, she does not like bass at all lol.

my comps are set for how much gains i need, just messing with the sub now.

what about high pass filter and low pass filter?...i mainly listen to rnb/hip hop, pop songs like james blunt and buble, and a bit of dance (trance?) lately. but if im listening to high bass songs, it usualy comes from a rnb/hip hop song. so what frequency would be the best.

and also should i make it so there is a filter on the comps to stop bass coming out of them?...would that make music sound better and clearer?...

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
set the front hpf to on and set it to around 80hz

set the rear lpf to on and set it to around 60-70hz...

use these as your base settings and modify and adjust until your happy

teamSPB

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ive done that...so theres no bass coming from the comps at the mo, just from the back.

does anyone have any recomendations for the equaliser settings like low mid and highs?...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wait, bass boost should be of?...is that correct?...

thats a pic i found of my amp...the 70hz point is pretty close to the beginning then.

·
Banned
22,984 Posts
Ignore absolutely everything said in this thread.

The only person you should listen to is Neil:
The best way to set your gains is with an oscilloscope, that way you can be sure the amps/headunits not clipping. I'm sure Amar will probably put something in here, if not PM him about it. Shouldn't cost much 'cus its not a lot of work, then you've got the piece of mind of knowing everythings set properly.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont think il need a oscillioscope because i will never be running music at 100% max full blast. im still getting used to hearing the bass at medium levels (dont laugh).

lol i take it neil is an expert, but others seem to know what theyre talking about as well...

im only running 1 subwoofer and front comps by the way, nothing serious...

·
Banned
22,984 Posts
Doing it by ear isn't good though. The gain should be set at a specific point, not a little bit up or a little bit down, depending on what you prefer...

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
i dont think il need a oscillioscope because i will never be running music at 100% max full blast. im still getting used to hearing the bass at medium levels (dont laugh).

lol i take it neil is an expert, but others seem to know what theyre talking about as well...
Nope, i'm an electrical engineer with a casual interest (although its good to know i can pull it off) :salute: And tbh its doesn't matter if your not playing full blast, a clipped signal can still damage speakers to some extent because your attempting to make it play a waveform it's not really designed for.

·
Banned
22,984 Posts
so teamspb doesnt know what hes talking about?
He most probably understands how to set up a gain properly, but simply suggesting twisting the knobs until you like it... it's not good advice.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so this oscillioscope is that important huh?...

i dont think most people use that and theyre speakers run fine?...like jbls owners manual even gives us that 3/4 volume up and then adjusting thing as well...

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
i dont think most people use that and theyre speakers run fine?...like jbls owners manual even gives us that 3/4 volume up and then adjusting thing as well...
Yeh and that'll get you close enough for the sake of conversation, but if you can get the amps/headunit scoped and get the gains set properly then all the better. You'll get the most out of your gear and it'll last longer set up properly rather than just roughly.

And as far as buying a scope goes you can be looking at multiple thousand pounds for something nice with lots of channels, all depends how s****y you wanna go. Though for setting gains and what not old redundant school/lab kit will do. There's always old CRT scopes going on ebay and they tend to go for the right side of 500quid.

·
Banned
22,984 Posts
No worries ryan, im interested about the oscillioscopes aswell how much are they?
Pretty expensive to be honest, couple grand for a good piece of kit. That's why it's best just to pay someone else to do it. Even using a multimeter to set your gains is better than guessing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts