Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take the wheel off so that I can paint the horn buttons the same colour as the dash console. also the bit under the buttons like a horse shoe shape, but smooth it first. Could do it on the car but would be very complicated and very messy.

How does it come off, and how do you do it without the airbag going off? Had the airbag bit out a bit, will it unplug from there or behind the whole wheel? will it go off when I unplug it?

could do with getting it off to do a good job really.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
take the two grub screw out and unplug the airbag. You can now take it as far as you want from the car!

Get a large socket and remove the steering wheel.

Paint it!

replace the wheel.

Plug in airbag

re-fit two grub screws

drive the car! :D

Piece of piss!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what I'm trying to avoid! so take off the negative lead on the battery? what else will this knock off?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Also............. If you spray them buttons when you use them the paint will crack because the buttons are made from rubber, and flex when you press them.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already painted them bits... seem to be ok though so far, but its not like I honk my horn at every car I see is it? unless you like to play a tune on them I think it will be ok. :wink:

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
Chewy, no need to remove the battery.

Once the two grub screws are undone, it's just a single yellow lead holding the AB in. All you have to do is unplug it. Your stereo won't lose it's memory, and the airbag light don't come on either! Trust me I've done it when I change my wheel!

I was sh*t scared of the bag firing off for no reason. It's like unpluging anything else on the car. No problem :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
There's no way the airbag would deploy by unplugging it. If you unplug it, it's got no power to deploy itself (putting back, different story!).

Seriously though, it's only going to go off if it's triggered correctly. There'll be some serious electronic trickery going on in there to avoid false triggering.

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
It doesn't!

Been there, done that!

You can unplug it and plug back in without a worry. I've done it!!!

:wink:

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
reason for disconnecting the battery also is sometimes the car thinks the airbag has gone off and your airbag light comes on. if this happens it's a trip to vaux and £30 to have the tech 2 turn the light off

·
Registered
25,148 Posts
I'm still a bit concerned bout that one mate. My light never came on, but then again, it may be a one off. Who knows? Not me that's for sure :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts