Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
My son has blown his head gasket, I part way through stripping it but cannot for the life of me get the cat converter off. I have managed to get a single stud turning, the others are way beyond turning before breaking. My though was to cut them off and deal with the removal when the head is off and on the bench. Problem is the 3 bolts in the recess holes!!! There is no way to get to them. Does anyone have any suggestions? My only other thought was to literally cut the cat converter off and replace it but that will add at least £100 to the repair.

Any help appreciated.

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,307 Posts
Bolt & nut remover

Nut splitter

Heat the nuts up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get to the visible ones, I have no chance of the 3 in the recess tubes.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Try a PM to marks152; he's done plenty of the more awkward jobs and might be able to give you some useful advice. This is a page from his thread. Click on his name and the 'private message' option comes up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yay, I managed to get the 3 nuts off in the tubes using a 10mm deep socket. They tubes must have given some protection as they were relatively good condition considering the others were completely rusted. I then used a dremel tool to cut the nuts off the threads and an old screwdriver to smash the nuts off when they were split. I now have the cylinder head off and used vice grips to get the studs out. Persistence paid off, thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Glad to hear that. Persistence, I must admit, is not one of my strong points although I've come around to the idea that some of these tasks that I tend to hand over involve exactly the same grunting and swearing except they're getting £40 an hour off me for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts