Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About my brother's Corsa 2006 1.2 twinport. he only has one key. Today he was out on a countryside walk. He dropped the key and a red plastic bit came off which he put back on. When he got back to car it would not start. Called AA. AA said that he has lost the immobiliser chip out of the key when he dropped it. It could not be found. They took the car back to his house, about 20 miles. But of course it can't be used. How easy is it to fix this? I of course realise it's not easy otherwise it would defeat the effectiveness of the anti theft element of having an immobiliser chip in a key. So can anyone say what the best course of action is? (don't say scrap the car, it is a bit scruffy but goes well and is reliable and has 11 months MOT). I assume it needs a professional of some sort - can anyone reccommend some in Brighton area to sort it. Anyone know what sort of cost this might be?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
there are two ways, or cancel the immobilizer, or program a new key, for this you will need a new virgin transponder, which is usually for one or two euros, and then program with OPCOM, but you will need the security code of the car that they will give you in vauxhall , at least in Spain paying for it, I think the car can configure up to 5 keys, remember to delete the ones you have that will surely be two, and since you program one, put two or three more transponders on it just in case

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, cancelling the immobiliser would be best. I don't think a thief would want this car and a thief would not know the immobiliser is cancelled. But how do I cancel the immobiliser? presumably not easy or a thief would cancel it on a nice car he wanted to steal. Please advise

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
To cancel the immobilizer i guess you will need someone who knows how to use Tech2 really well?
The simple option would be to buy a new/secondhand ECU set with key, chip, transponder, dials, BCM and ECU and swap it all over. These are from around £50 on Ebay etc.
the other option is to have a new key programmed to the car. There are companies who come out to your house to do this but expect to pay around £200 for this service and you will need the security code for the car. Vauxhall used to sell you this for £25-£30 if you take V5 and 2 proofs of ID including driving license in to the dealership. But if someone has swap the ECU set before it will be no good.
The code can be read with Opcom or Tech2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reply. My brother bit the bullet and paid for a mobile person to come and sort it. £170 to put new chip in his existing key and program it plus 30 quid extra for a spare key programmed and blade cut. He did not have the pin code. He really needed the car in use quickly. Expensive mistake dropping his key and not realising the chip fell out of it.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
As z22 predicted, it is about the right price if you can't drive the car around to the auto locksmith. Well worth the extra £30 to have a spare done at the same time. I got my Combo Tour with one key and no idea of the passcode so, while I still had a driveable vehicle, bought two virgin keys for £28, I think, both cut for £10 then £70 for them both to be programmed simultaneously (he also told me the 4-digit code to remember in future). You're paying the extra for the locksmith having ro leave the premises etc.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Yes, there are some fabulously reasonable people like OpCom around (I saw one selling keys on ebay offering to programme the key for an extra tenner if you drive round) but - of course - not where I live. If you've lost your key etc and need someone to come round
(a) they've got you by the curlies
(b) I have some sympathy for auto locksmiths who are 1-person operations who have to stick the "back in 20 mins" sign on the door and drive over to your place and spend 30 mins getting you going - losing business back at the shop in the meantime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.