Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hi there cant be much help but, i assume its a Corsa C or D, have you tried another key?, i know that sounds too simple but could be chip faulty, and as far as i know the Key and the pick up coil and the BCM and ECU are all coded to each other....might be worth disconnecting the battery overnight and looking at te connection plugs on the ecu and bcm....i think when the spanner light comes on it means its immobilized and will never start like that....from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fred

Its a Corsa C, tried both keys and it does the same thing. Its quite obviously the pickup coil as wiggling it makes it start but just need to know what I need to replace or if i can, just replace the pickup coil.

Thanks for the reply.
J (Dedicated)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You cannot replace just the transponder ring as this is the immobiliser. You would need to buy a reset one and program it to your vehicle or buy a full ecu kit including clocks, bcm, immobiliser, ecu and id40 chips for the keys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You cannot replace just the transponder ring as this is the immobiliser. You would need to buy a reset one and program it to your vehicle or buy a full ecu kit including clocks, bcm, immobiliser, ecu and id40 chips for the keys

:yipee: Perfect, just what I needed to know. Thanks.

Would you know if this (Click) is worth buying for it (it appears its a new one) is it easy enough to code using OpCom or does it need Tech2

Cheers
J

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Keep an eye out for a used second hand one that's been reset or has the pass code from the donar car with it. They don't go wrong often. £75 is OK for a new one but I'm a tight git lol.

Programming it's straight forward. I can send you a guide to help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Keep an eye out for a used second hand one that's been reset or has the pass code from the donar car with it. They don't go wrong often. £75 is OK for a new one but I'm a tight git lol.

Programming it's straight forward. I can send you a guide to help you.

Haha! Im tight but im willing to spend £75 if it fixes the issue as it'll be a cheap fix if so. The car is an 05 SXi+ with 70k miles on and FSH (not wet or leaky either!) so its worth it.

Ive not seen used ones come up with said car pass, most i've seen so far are either on their own or as a lot with the ECU, BCM, Locking Set etc.

A guide on it would be ideal. Spot on! :hail:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I can't upload until I get home tomorrow. Forgot to mention you will need new id40 chips if you replace immobiliser.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I wrote a guide over on the opcomusers site for the Astra G/Zafira A but as it shares the same immobilizer unit as the Corsa C the procedure will be the same.

First thing to do is connect opcom to the car and retreive the MKN, Immobiliser output and VIN from the immobiliser unit(found in programming menu of the immobiliser. You are safe to then remove the old immobilizer unit. You do not need to reset it before removal.

Then fit the new immobiliser and new ID40 chip into the key.

Immobiliser Programming

To program the immobiliser you must do the following:-

Connect to the immobiliser by following these steps

Connect opcom to your vehicle and turn ignition on and start the Opcom/Vauxcom program.

Diagnostics>
Year>
Corsa C>
Body>
Immobiliser II>
Programming>
Programming/Immobiliser programming>
Security code>[enter security code for the car]
Program Immobiliser Function> [select “Immobiliser installed”] press ok
Program Immobiliser Output> [select the appropriate system] press ok
Program VIN> [Check to see if its programmed, write it if not] press ok
Program MKN> [Check to see if its programmed, write it if not] press ok
Program Transponder Keys > Follow onscreen instructions

Once you have a successful message you need to clear all codes in ECU, BCM, Instruments and Immobiliser II and exit the program and turn ignition off and disconnect the interface.

The system can then takes up to 10 minutes to arm. Leave the ignition off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote a guide over on the opcomusers site for the Astra G/Zafira A but as it shares the same immobilizer unit as the Corsa C the procedure will be the same.

First thing to do is connect opcom to the car and retreive the MKN, Immobiliser output and VIN from the immobiliser unit(found in programming menu of the immobiliser. You are safe to then remove the old immobilizer unit. You do not need to reset it before removal.

Then fit the new immobiliser and new ID40 chip into the key.

Immobiliser Programming

To program the immobiliser you must do the following:-

Connect to the immobiliser by following these steps

Connect opcom to your vehicle and turn ignition on and start the Opcom/Vauxcom program.

Diagnostics>
Year>
Corsa C>
Body>
Immobiliser II>
Programming>
Programming/Immobiliser programming>
Security code>[enter security code for the car]
Program Immobiliser Function> [select “Immobiliser installed”] press ok
Program Immobiliser Output> [select the appropriate system] press ok
Program VIN> [Check to see if its programmed, write it if not] press ok
Program MKN> [Check to see if its programmed, write it if not] press ok
Program Transponder Keys > Follow onscreen instructions

Once you have a successful message you need to clear all codes in ECU, BCM, Instruments and Immobiliser II and exit the program and turn ignition off and disconnect the interface.

The system can then takes up to 10 minutes to arm. Leave the ignition off.
That's awesome. Thanks. For that! But what do think of the below?

I think I've possibly found the problem.

Car still the same as the last few days, sometimes will start, sometimes will flash away until you play with the transponder sensor.

But.. the mileage keeps flicking.

One minute it says the correct mileage (71k) give it a few minutes and it'll change to 26k and the trip odometer goes to 87 miles, as if by magic.

Then after a few moments it changes again back to 72k.

I've a sneaky feeling that someone has changed something prior to me owning it, be it the transponder ring or the dash clocks and not programmed them right. Hence the mileage flicking in and out of different miles.

What are people's thoughts on that.

J

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
The Corsa c suffers with bad connections on the instrument panel which causes none start. Might be worth checking the connections on the back.

Sounds like the instruments is the issue to me. I've never seen a mileage change like you describe. It sounds like a faulty set of clocks. The instruments are part of the immobiliser on the Corsa c. If the code cannot be read from them during the wake up of the system then the immobiliser will activate. The immobiliser checks for the code in the instruments, ecu and bcm and if they match it will start.

Where are you located.. If your local to Liverpool I've a set of good working clocks you can try that I took out my own car.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The nearest I've had to that problem is the trip and odometer reading went blank. At first, I thought the LED had gone but it came back a few days later. The odometer stayed constant but the trip went to something else. It did the same again a week later, but it's stayed working since then.

EDIT: No starting or running issues neither while it works nor when blank. The vehicle's engine, ECU, clocks etc were changed for a donor car with the same engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Corsa c suffers with bad connections on the instrument panel which causes none start. Might be worth checking the connections on the back.

Sounds like the instruments is the issue to me. I've never seen a mileage change like you describe. It sounds like a faulty set of clocks. The instruments are part of the immobiliser on the Corsa c. If the code cannot be read from them during the wake up of the system then the immobiliser will activate. The immobiliser checks for the code in the instruments, ecu and bcm and if they match it will start.

Where are you located.. If your local to Liverpool I've a set of good working clocks you can try that I took out my own car.
Im going to take the clocks out and check, as it seems strange that this appears.

After some research, apparantly the 87.0 Trip and the 26279 Miles (or whatever the mileage was) is the software version code for the clocks, only usually viewable by VXL, accompanied by a flashing INSP light to start with.

Some have had the issue, along with fading airbag or EML lights when switching the ignition off (The airbag light is fading out on mine) and most are reporting a bad earth connection on the clocks. Will see how easy it is to get them out and go from there.

Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately im in Oxfordshire, bit of a trek!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After cleaning all of the earth straps, removing and cleaning the ECU pins and the Dash Clocks then running the car for a few days the problem disappeared (although leaving the car for a while, the airbag lights up again) also connecting a battery charger to it lights the battery charger up as "Charging" when not plugged in, so I reckon there is definately a short somewhere.

But the car is running well and other than the light, no further issues.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
thanks for updating - handy info. I hope it stays behaving for you. I presume an MOT is no problem as long as the car's been running enough to keep the airbag light off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the problems Ive been having on my sons 1.0 12v, I am starting to wonder if the immobilizer could be the culprit. Have seen sets of clocks/ecu/keys/locks on eBay - what do you need to look out for when trying to buy a compatible set? Is it the case that as long as its from another car with the same engine and same approximate year it will work?

·
Administrator, Trusted Seller
605,353 Posts
can you please not edit the question you asked, it might just help out others that have the same problem/question in the future

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'll bump this as having similar issue.

2005 Combo C van 1.7 CDTI.
This seems to have been initiated from water ingress into the BCM enclosure ( a lot )...

BCM itself is dry and communicates ok. Flashing spanner light no start obviously.

After a bit of a drying out, it seemed to start ok again til a few days ago ( isn't used often ), when initially it did start then a couple of seconds alter flashing spanner and no run, fail to start thereafter.

Oddly I do not seem to have any communications now with either the engine ecu or immobiliser modules.

It's also reporting that the powersounder is not present, and when I disconnect battery etc...there is not the usual annoying sounder, wherever it usually emanates from ?

I do have comms with BCM and IPC ok via Vauxcom.

The first time it failed to start a few weeks ago, I also had comms with engine ecu ok, just not with the immobiliser so it would seem something has changed there..

So today I took the BCM enclosure apart, gave it a thorough drying and WD40 everywhere. Tested all relays in the enclosure with a small battery and they do all click, although didn't actually test connectivity. All fuses in the main fuse box are ok. From the lower base white plastic bit over the wiring, it has been submerged in water before.
Have not tested for power at the ecu etc yet, as it started raining again. And have not retested after this drying out yet.

Thoughts or suggestions ? I'm still just thinking the problem is water ingress that's still causing comms issues as opposed to a hardware fault somewhere ?
Although odd this time the engine ecu has no comms.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
WD40 is probably the worst thing to use on modern car electrics!
Clean and dry it all with electrical contact cleaner and try again.
Also test for power at the ECU and see if the ECU relays are powering up when key is on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It'll do no harm and help disperse the water, although also blew it all out with the airline after anyway

Will check for power etc at the weekend.

Is there a schematic of which relays do what anywhere handy ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts