Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right guys was wondering if any of use could shed any light on this. In November 2005 i was insured as a named driver on my dads policy on a saxo. Unforunately 11 days later i wrote it off and i'v been on my dads insurance ever since. Soon i am to go onto my own insurance but do i have to tell them about the crash although it wasn't on my policy? If not is it my dad who has to declare it on his other policy??? Thanks

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Indeed you do, you have to tell them about any loss or claim, usually within the last 3 or 5 years (or your insurance is invalid)

No claims discount is something separate - your insurance can still go up even with protected no claims if you are put into a higher risk category.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, yeah he had protected no claims. It's just when i go onto my own policy, so is it me who has to declare it or my dad?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
you declare you had an accident within 3/5 years, your dad says he has made a claim on his policy, but he didnt cause the accident, so being a named driver u have ****ed your dads insurance too

·
Registered
19 Posts
The accidents go with the driver. If you come off your dads policy his policy will no longer be rated for the accident, only effects he would have would be if he lost NCB due to it. As for getting your own policy, your are supposed to declare that you had an accident, its called "giving information in good faith". When i was in the insurance business you could get away with this by not declaring the claim and stating that you had not been on a policy before, then you would just be rated slightly higher for not driving for a while. There is of course a new database in effect now and its very probable that you are recorded in there for your accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts