Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The outer shell of the bearing got stuck in the hub and after about an hour with not even a millimetre of movement I decided to whip the Dremel out.

I do not have a welder or special tool & thought it would be easy enough to remove.
I was definitely wrong there.

So grabbed the Dremel which actually cut through it like butter, way faster than I was expecting.

Well, here are some photos, I was doing ok until I must have rested the chisel on the rim of the drum & well as you can see, it is not salvageable.

Even after cutting those 2 triangle bits out, it never budged not even the smallest bit.

So I am going to order a new set unfortunately they do not do them with bearings already inserted otherwise I would do that.

I am going to take them to a garage to have them put in.

IMG20210220005150_resize_9.jpg

This is the one showing the damage that forces me to buy a new one.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
It would probably be ok. That shoulder only holds the cover that covers the nut. It still might hold it. Worse case a but of high temp grease on the threads would stop it from corroding. Thats all the cap does.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would probably be ok. That shoulder only holds the cover that covers the nut. It still might hold it. Worse case a but of high temp grease on the threads would stop it from corroding. Thats all the cap does.
OK I might give it a go then, see what happens.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
One of mine has been cracked like that since i got it. Previous owner paid garage to do rear wheel bearing only they either didn't do it or they cracked the outer race as it was grumbling when I got it.
Dust cap is held on with a little bearing fit/stud lock. Been like that for near on 4 years now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
another here with one like yours in the centering of the rim in one corner, when putting the lid give it with a glue to cover the gap and seal well and forget it, what you want is that no water or dust get into the bearing , by recommendation in opel they already warned me to give a lot of grease to the handbrake cables

1 - 7 of 7 Posts