Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just to remind you, this was the Tour last summer - mechanically sound but looking a bit jaded:

and I've just collected it from JB Motors, my long-standing (some 25 years, probably more) garage. George was just getting some marks off the window after replacing the leccy window regulator. The original was bent and a 2nd-hand unit was just as flakey so new OEM was bought in. Expensive, but time and labour can just be racked up fitting more >13 year old bits that don't seem to be a great design point and I need to go through barriers and drive off without using my left hand to straighten the glass while the right hand holds the button down (bit hairy).

Body colour bumper is a big improvement, newer headlamps a slightly smaller improvement. The AC is freezing, and hopefully will stay that way. The intercooler really has made a difference - no placebo effect. Taking it easy didn't seem any different, but I took a different route from the garage which has a very short slip onto a 70mph dual carriageway. I stuck the pedal down and very quickly had to change up and reached 50mph in quite short order. This is quite a contrast to its non-intercooled Di days, when I had to wait for quite a gap in the traffic and it felt like a long slog to get up to speed. The Combo Di is supposedly 0-60 in 18s (!) and the DTi 13.5s, which is a huge difference but I can believe it. Either is fine maintaining cruising speed on the highway but it's transformed on the sprint. I'm not ruling out a mild remap; around 90hp would make it very relaxed.

I don't have the facelift guides/brackets. It's all screwed in, but there's a little bulge that would go away when I get some and refit, along with the Blitz grille:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Actually, DR, the body-colour SE mirrors are not impossible to get in UK and Spain. It's even possible to get electric Combo mirrors in Spain, primed, around €50-60 each. There are two problems, though
1) Electric mirrors - although I love toys and hate manual waggle sticks - are totally unnecessary with these big lugs. I don't even adjust them for driving on the other side of the road. Everything is visible, particularly having rear windows.
2) Body colour Combo mirrors are quite nice in darker colours, even Star Silver is ok, but they look absolutely ridiculous in white. Like staring at Martin Clunes head on. The mirror-chrome covers with "Combo" embossed on them do appear on ebay and other chromey stuff on t'internet. Black really is best on a white Combo, imo. As you know DR, I got some std C mirrors with the intention of spraying them white but the plates don't line up at all. Expensive mistake (well, £15 wasted).

The Blitz grille and the summer-rubbered other alloys will go on once I get to Malaga and I'll upload a pic or two. Although summer tyres would be fine in June even over the Pyrenees, they're load-rated 82 whereas the all-weathers are 88XL. I'll have to have unloaded all the stuff out of the back (and roof box off) before I swap over for just rumbling around unladen in the heat.

Examples of the mirrors - personal taste and all that...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I suppose, just in case I get run over by a bus, I should mention how much effort is involved in fitting an intercooler to a 1.7Di (many still around, clocking up the miles). Get a Corsa C or Combo intercooler; the Astra ones are a different shape and probably more effective but a C's IC from a 1.3/1.7 CDTi or 1.7DTi will be fine. For cheaps, get the whole IC and hosiery from a broken vehicle, it might even be attached to the rad, as mine was. Shipping should still be reasonable, or haggle locally. Some just hack the hoses with a knife/saw rather than loosen the clamps - avoid them, as replacement hoses can cost a lot. The DTi IC outlet is narrower than the CDTi, but the CDTi hose narrows down so no reducers or adapters were needed at all when I went for 1.3CDTi.
The thing you do need is to get rid of the Di metal pipe which comes almost direct from the turbo; you can't just shorten it because a flange is needed for the hose and clamp to grip or it would just slide off. You HAVE to get the DTi pipe and (apart from the 1.7DTi getting older and rarer) the problem with Combo breakers is that they so often say it's a DTi or even CDTi and, once you've driven over or emailed, tell you there's no intercooler fitted. So it's a Di, then. I avoided wasting time by looking for breaking Astra Gs. The DTi is much more common and more correctly described. I got the necessary pipe for £15 and a little drive from my house.

Short version: what you have already with your Di can be hooked up or replaced with the IC and attached hoses from a CDTi or 1.7DTi - all you need is the 1.7DTi pipe that connects from the IC's rubber outlet hose (Mikalor type clamp) to the head - sometimes listed as "turbo to EGR pipe"and it looks like this:

Without looking at any boost pressure or remapping (my boggo insurers didn't like the mention of remap), the 0-60 is definitely improved and my Tour is already insured as a 1.7DTi, which is effectively what it now is, so no worries about declaration - just let insurers know it's a DTi.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks white door mirror covers don't suit the Combo. I think in black they're sort of hidden by the windows at most angles so the square shape is better hidden, especially when the rest of the van is fairly rounded.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Usually, I dislike black plastic mirrors - bit of a 'low trim' signal - but a white Combo is one case where body colour doesn't work. As you say, the mirrors are great big (nearly) squares jutting out and bright white just makes them more obvious.

As well as never finding a definitive, in writing, "fitting an IC to the Di is not difficult" on the 'net, I could do a service by pointing out that the obvious thought "why don't I put Corsa C mirrors on, seeing as my Combo has rear windows?" is that they don't fit. I don't know if some pokery can be done with fiddling plates around, but they don't line up as-is.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Taken off the all-weathers on C-SXi wheels and now with summer 185/55/15 rubber on D-alloys. There are a couple of light scrapes on them that have been primed, just need to silver touch up in places. Replacing the Griffin with my Blitz grille and placing some ebay DRL/fogs in the holes still to come.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks, both, I agree. They strangely fill the arches better even though they're both 185/55/15 sets and I have unloaded most of the weight. The SXi wheels seem to lie in the middle of a black hole of rubber and plastic, by comparison.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Or it could just be that the chunky spokes of the SXi alloys don't contrast and stand out against the equally chunky ass end of a Combo.

Quick question - your rear wipers don't work as you mentioned before - why not just remove them?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Because one day, Grasshopper, I shall make them work (the ba:censor:rds). I bought the lowest-priced stalk on ebay which, although a C, wasn't the right type so I paid £10 and drove some 15 miles to get another one, which made squat difference. I really do wonder if they've been deactivated in Opcom some way (feasible, Marks?) but my pathetic Spanish ISP is preventing me tweak my old HD-in-different-laptop that used to talk to my Tour fine but is now acting the pig.

I have a backlog of these minor, but irritating, mysteries to attend. It's so nice to have the big-lug side mirrors, rearview and back windows, I hate streaky rain obscuring the back vision - particularly driving in Blighty where the overtakers are on my far side. I have a fresnel lens square on the back window for that (which, happily, is unaffected by rain streaks). I've tried Clear Vue and £1 Co-op window cleaner (very effective for a while) and now this Chinese ceramic wipe-off (yet to be tested in a downpour) but I'd really rather just push a stalk and get a clear vision of the irate Merc driver halitosing my rear bumper so I can slowdown and annoy him a bit longer. Besides, "Combo RWW delete for reduced drag and high performance" thread is a bit 2008 for CCUK I think.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I wasn't really meaning for drag and performance because the notion is utterly stupid - although in your case with the mileage you do there is actually a reason for it.

I was more taking the logic of "well other Combos don't have them anyway" and "if it doesn't work, throw it away" which was the logic I took to my stereo!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
:grin:, I know. It was a ref to our previous convo (some months back) on those "wiper delete" threads or "how to make your car look like the base model Renault 5 of the 1970s because 0.05 Cd reduction" that were good for a 'how people lived in the olden days' laugh.

tbf, If I never figure it out (likely with my track record, and utter time+money wastage on opcom and renaultcom dongles) and came to selling, it would make more sense to have some shiny black grommets than "another thing that doesn't work right is the..." description. Until then, I shall reserve a space in the progress thread for "and I bought some new blades as these ones only contact the glass for ~3cm of their length"

·
Registered
517 Posts
the boring spokes of the SXI alloys will play a part in the way they look in the arches but it's gonna be to do with the offset on the Ds being lower, the SXIs are 49 so they "hide" under the arch, fairly sure the D will be around 41-44 ish? That's why I like my SRi's, they're 40, and they sit so much closer to the edge

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Think you might be right, DR. The offset of these wasn't mentioned in the listing, but I think I've seen the same ones as offset 44 and the extra stick-out would clearly make them look less swallowed-up in the hole.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Took my Blitz grille down to the Tour. It's going to be a right git, uncoupling all those melted plastic tabs on the Griffin grille. Definitely need to take the bumper off (annoying, only been on a few weeks) and - if my Modus leather inserts I got out of the door cards of an Initiale are to go by - still a lot of hacking, prising and swearing. All in a communal car park where people will run over my legs without blinking if they spot a free space available. With the DRL/fogs as well, I'm very tempted to throw the job at the numerous shed-mechanics here that charge piddling hourly rates.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts