Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I actually have two International Driver's Permits to get me through France and Spain to the United Kingdom of England in November (saying nothing), but my chum here with the Jag had its appalling neural network diagnosed by a Russian-owned local place (ABS-traction control unit; rare and pricey, I'm on the search) at no charge, and they subsequently replaced his jammed alternator and snapped serpentine for very unJag money. I'll have my Modus serviced and ITV-checked by them and, if happy, see if they'll do it (tbh - DRLs nice but not too flapped about spending lots to get the fogs going, just don't like two round holes in the bumper).

·
Registered
554 Posts
I actually have two International Driver's Permits to get me through France and Spain to the United Kingdom of England in November (saying nothing), but my chum here with the Jag had its appalling neural network diagnosed by a Russian-owned local place (ABS-traction control unit; rare and pricey, I'm on the search) at no charge, and they subsequently replaced his jammed alternator and snapped serpentine for very unJag money. I'll have my Modus serviced and ITV-checked by them and, if happy, see if they'll do it (tbh - DRLs nice but not too flapped about spending lots to get the fogs going, just don't like two round holes in the bumper).
We won't be in euro anymore by November so you won't be allowed back in, which means your only option will be to sell the grille to me :D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got my IDPs - flying back on 29th March - for that reason. Looked (and still looking) like I could instantly be an 'unqualified' driver overnight without them.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Been quiet, but not been idle. Well, driving back and forth to a beach is being idle but the ceramic is holding up well, the filth jets off and the CarPlan black is starting to need another spray to the exterior side strips.

Now, although that bumper improved the looks:

There was the small matter of that Vx grille on an Opel that gets my OCD going, and the rust-ridden fogs weren't usable so there were a pair of holes there.

Taking off the upper grille is not too bad, based on my experience removing door card inserts from my Modus; just get a small claw hammer and yoink the melted plastic tabs out - no point in being precision about it. The Blitz grille had had the same treatment from the Barcelona breakers, so Gorilla Glue Gel was the way to go. It's stuck firm at the edges, I shall be working my way towards the centre tomorrow.
How are the fogs? I don't know, I haven't wired them. I have found that my Chineebay USB soldering iron is f'all use, my Chineebay 'smart' DRL box neither delays the off by 15s nor dims them when the headlights on, so that's also f'all use, only the Chineebay lights themselves work for now so I have really just wired the DRLs up in the time honoured fashion of Heath Robinson Inc and will do something better when I return to UK.

Here's the hood-down look:

Oh, and in honour of all the effort to retrofit the intercooler to the boggo Di lump, I have done this:

So people know not to try and overtake me because I'm a riiicer!
I know, I should really remove the whole "Combo 1.7 Di" and start afresh but taking off the "Di" alone took pinholes of white paint with it and I couldn't be faffed with the myriad of touch ups so I squeezed "DTi" close up to the 1.7 and tried not to overhang by too much. I agree, I'm doing things by halves but this is a "10 yard" car; I'm not going to get it concours everywhere so no point in making life too hard for myself.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Also, in case you're wondering, the lamp lenses haven't gone manky over the summer. I got a pair of Vx headlamp protectors for sub-fiver and put those annoying beam-benders onto them. Now, if I'm in UK, whip off protectors. If I'm in EU, snap on protectors with benders stuck on. Literally 10 seconds a side and no "that'll be £10 please" at the Chunnel shop for fresh benders (and 20 mins with Oblitarate trying to get the baked on glue off).

·
Registered
554 Posts
That front end looks great!! I wonder, will a bit of gentle persuasion with a heat gun help with that little square hole, make it look a bit less indented? If I'd seen the back of it in passing I wouldn't have twigged the DTI wasn't originally there!

I just looked back at the first pics on page 1, it looks massively improved!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Thanks for the rewarding comments; appreciated, especially as I was gritting my teeth over the bumper removal. Done it on the Modus for an H7 change and it's never a favourite solo job.
That perfectly square depression is weird, almost certainly won't pull out well. Looks like the previous van was either reversed into by, or driven towards, some box-section at low speed for quite a bit before anyone realized. At first, I thought gunk needed cleaning out but actually some paint has flaked off. Given my filling (un) skills, I am wondering, after touch up, if I can make it have a purpose? Like maybe have the barrel of a Browning 50cal or Hispano-Suiza 20mm poking out? The name's Tour. Combo Tour.

The fog surrounding, and the dead lamps, were not SXi original but aftermarket, so they didn't have the screw hole etc. I bought the £7ish, 2.5" ones littering ebay and the rim sits nicely on the circle. Two multi-fit brackets were supplied; the type you could attach to a bullbar plate. I could have used them, but only by bolt + nut holding them onto plastic tabs inside the surrounds. Bit likely to wobble around, and the O/S one would need a tilt to clear the horn.
The two fog wires are thick, well insulated and waterproofed (but no terminals). The DRL wires are two of the thinnest things ever. Currently (fantastic pun, there), the fogs await my return so that I can at least connect them up properly. The DRLs have been chained together, onto the useless control box (I hope it's at least regulating the 12V) to a good earth. Because my soldering iron is useless, it's a horrific collection of screw-in connectors. I'd be ashamed to show it. Just acceptable for the good weather and to get home.

Fixing them in? Erm, I Gorilla glued them... Hear me out. Apart from staying put, their notoriously short lifespan and the crummy surrounds could well be all ditched soon enough. If they work for the drive back to UK, then expectation exceeded. Might photo anyway, but don't kick me.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was more interested in just seeing a closer look at how they fit - how flush they look etc.

Also, did you get any photos of the centre console?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
OK, the fog surrounds (came with the bumper) initially puzzled me, because they didn't have that visible screw hole that SXi and SRi ones have. Then I saw (still made and sold) aftermarket ones with similar shape but no screw hole and figured they, and some crumbly fogjobs, were installed by a van man at some point.

My fog/drl exact purchase were these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-3-5-COB-LED-Fog-Light-Projector-Angel-Eye-Halo-Ring-DRL-Driving-Bulbs-/382938213972?var=&hash=item5928e56e54
in 2.5" size. The bulk of the units pass through, but the halo ring part sits right onto the protruding circle of the plastic which would encircle ordinary fogs. Those brackets included could have been used to screw them into tabs round the back of the surrounds but "why bother?" really took over; no real advantage and they'd get in the way of the horn, probably work loose over the bumps. A few blobs of the gel onto the back of the halo ring, press and hold onto the surround holes and done. Suppose the LEDs fail after ~1yr and I fancy some again? I figure a warm, wet blade will prize them off without damage (the surrounds are a bit ancient anyway) and the new ones' wires attached to what I shall laughingly call the 'loom' I have made up.

I shall close in with my camera tomorrow so you see what I mean. As for your bits... shhh... That mission accomplished, I have also done or shall shortly do some other little interior changes. Thought I might put up last summer's interior pic and an early November (ish) Spot the Differences competition. Prize to be decided, but you and DR have an advantage over other forumers, although I've tried not to tell even you two too much. Nothing really dramatic, mind, but just a bunch of little "I'll have that" things I've spotted, bought, mostly got over here (but some left or yet to arrive in UK) just to make the Tour a bit more homely.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Here you go Peps, although you're forcing me to show the worst bits (that box-section dent and a starboard scrape/ding) of the bumper. Still, at £50 in white and only a few hours drive/wait, I took what I could get:

As I said, the halo rings sit onto the space exactly, so I went for the dab o' gel fix.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Before I ordered I did measure (normally I'm of the measure nowt, pay many times school of non-thought) and figured... exactly 2.5" diameter hole, that would sit nicely. And, IMO, it does (TY for agreeing). Would I throw out existing SXi/SRi fogs for them? No, of course not, but there were some holes there so, hey.

If you remember me saying in June 2018 (and I don't blame you if you don't) I said that fogs, although they look cooler than blanking plates, are no real use to me, but DRLs are (a) a psycho-comfort doing several days of continuous 500 mile runs and (b) handy for the numerous Spanish short tunnels when I forget to put the h/lamps on. I've since noticed, this August returning from the beach, that there are several times when I'm driving in blazing sunlight then the road passes between two chunks of limestone and even in the late afternoon the eyes take a few seconds to adjust to quite a drop in natural light. In those circs, those modern-fangled cars with their LED surrounds stay visible (but in a good, unobtrusive way) much better than I and the creaking Berlingos do.

I hope that POS 'smart' box does at least (it does nothing obvious) regulate a constant 12V to the halos. I have read that the Chineebay DRL's notoriously short (like, one month) lifespan is lengthened by a 100ohm resistor in series. If I'm only paying £7 and lying on my back say, once a year, I can put up with that as part of the travel expenses.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
A few dabs of Gorilla Glue Gel does not, I can confirm, hold a pair of DRL fogs in place from Malaga to UK. I found the left one dangling as I refueled in Dax and retrieved what was left of it (lens missing) and the right one was in place around Rouen but just a sad pair of wires left poking out of the hole at Boulogne. If anybody's passing through Northern France and sees it, PM me...

I did a few little interior tweaks before I set off, and I have a few others when it's not so darn freezing. I'd do a Spot The Difference competition but if I bar Peps (for generously gifting me some spares) and Delta Romeo (who I've messaged about my setbacks and successes) there'd be no-one left to declare the winner. Here's how it was summer 2018

and after traveling back, autumn 2019

I haven't changed the CDR2005, that's an annoying effect of the light/shade extreme in the picture; it's still the semi-silver stereo.

Not counting the solar battery trickler, I think there are 8 changes. Can you spot them all, readers?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Err... tigra ashtray, armrest, silver door handles and the two silver bits I sent. I can't see any others except the heap of wires.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
First off, big thanks for sending me the silver vents surround and heater control panel, Peps. Probably the biggest break-up of the previous sea of grey plastic that I found slightly cheerless, and a better blend with the stereo (although the lighting in the pic doesn't seem like it).

So, that's two changes, door handles (3), centre armrest (4) Tigra ashtray? You mean the boomerangs? They are handy for keeping the heap of 12V plug-in wires from spilling out (fridge, satnav, ecig, phone, Bluetooth FM thing) on the travels. That's (5) of 8. You make Detective Sargeant; the other three, tbf, either are not fully in the pic or benefit from 'click to enlarge'. I know, I'm taking this too seriously.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeah the boomerangs, whatever they're called - personally not my taste but can see the benefit of the extra space.
Err... 6 - footmats?
7 - Hazard light cover has a badge
8 - New handbrake gaiter

Also maybe take a photo in a different light to better show the centre console?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok, the funsize Mars Bar and promotion to Chief Superintendent goes to Peps with the 8/8 score. Delta Romeo is back on the traffic cameras and last in the doughnut queue (having, as you say, been round in the vehicle to your place only yesterday).

The "carbon fibre" wrap and logo for the hazard switch was something I thought very possible to refuse when I saw it on ebay but a member here (name forgotten, apols) had pictured his smart-but-pricey LED gear shifter and I noticed his Vx version and thought it looked quite smart for the half-pint money. I like it, but you'd have your hazards on 40 miles before you'd notice you've left them active. The handbrake gaiter is the perf leather GM one which just needed a minor bit of blackening at the handle join. I was really pleased to get the mats because LHD is very expensive to get tailored. Autodoc, despite the co.uk thing, is a German site and, once I'd got enough other stuff to make the £8 shipping swallowable, reasonably priced. I like to have mats anyway, but yet more of that pale grey is covered up, which is a bonus.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts