Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Apart from liberal use of mould-removing wipes on the seat belts, front seats and steering wheel, a small tart up. My Corsa D alloys with the summer tyres have ebay Opel centre caps, but the all-weather tyres are on SXi alloys which have those Maltese Cross centre caps and griffin badges. I've only twice seen the Blitz versions on ebay, both times £25/set and somebody else cared more than I did at that price.

So, for £7, I was looking at sticky discs (after Delta Romeo had freshened up the alloys+centre caps and removed the griffins for me, thanks DR). Anything bigger than 52mm would be outside the inner depression - clinging on by its edges - and most are 54mm so, for this reason (and they seemed the best looking of the sticky badges on offer any way), I got these 50mm jobs from Croatia via ebay:

On the wheel, they look reasonable enough:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Long forgotten, but those SXi alloys with the Opel vinyls look like this on the car:

but the main reason I'm showing you an unwashed, and desperately in need of "Original Black" on the plastics, car is that these wheels with the all-weather tyres are for the UK-Malaga trip.

and I already have some D 15" alloys with summer rubber in Malaga (previous pages), but I couldn't resist some 16s with good tread and nice brands on them. The black could do with a mild refurb, but good from a few yards:

Just as I was about to get them, the seller told me that the Hankook (the most tread; typical) was losing air so I put that one under my feet on the left front, exited the restaurant car park and went for a spin. It did look a bit flatter.

It was under 30psi, but so was the other front. A sensible person would have checked all this beforehand, but hey-ho. I've put them up to 35 with my 12V and will check again tomorrow. Might have to have a repair done, but the seller knocked £10 off an already bargain price so no complaints.

Unlike my summer D 15s in Malaga which have C-correct 185/55s, these are D-standard 195/55/16s. Cheaper (and more comfortable) than lowering springs. There's enough room, and they'll be used for straight runs to the beach rather than the speed bumps of French villages and Pyrenees twisties.

I know what you're thinking, "What are those hideous, Riiicer! things on the back axle?"
I hate how the rusty drums show up through spokey alloys and CBA with all that wire brush and Hammerite that more dedicated types would do, so I got these ebay drum covers some months ago. I just wish that (1) they didn't put those stupid "drilled and grooved" looks on that fool no-one and (2) with hindsight, I'd ordered them in black. If they really make kids point and laugh, I might take them off and find something else (still not going to wire brush).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Tyres are holding the 35psi. Meantime, I toothbrushed, then sprayed with CarPlan's Orginal Black these SRi grilles

but, after lots of faffing on my back on the (down sloping) driveway, I realized that it would be quicker to take the bumper off than do the swaps in situ. Ironically, I've just picked up another white bumper (resprayed from blue, but done well) with SRi fogs and grilles, for £12.50

Anyway, I gave the Tour a hands-on clean and finally got rid of those vertical streaks from the rubbing strips. Could I find my hybrid carnauba-ceramic? Like hell, and all my other stuff is mild abrasive which would be no good for the ceramic. Had to settle (for now) on some garage lance-wax. Still, I did the wheels, discs, calipers with that stinking sulphur stuff, dressed the tyres a bit, and Original Black on the plastics to help lift the white a bit. Now, where's that damn wax?

D'oh! I forgot to black the rear door strips. An exercise in before+after.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts