Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Apart from liberal use of mould-removing wipes on the seat belts, front seats and steering wheel, a small tart up. My Corsa D alloys with the summer tyres have ebay Opel centre caps, but the all-weather tyres are on SXi alloys which have those Maltese Cross centre caps and griffin badges. I've only twice seen the Blitz versions on ebay, both times £25/set and somebody else cared more than I did at that price.

So, for £7, I was looking at sticky discs (after Delta Romeo had freshened up the alloys+centre caps and removed the griffins for me, thanks DR). Anything bigger than 52mm would be outside the inner depression - clinging on by its edges - and most are 54mm so, for this reason (and they seemed the best looking of the sticky badges on offer any way), I got these 50mm jobs from Croatia via ebay:

On the wheel, they look reasonable enough:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Long forgotten, but those SXi alloys with the Opel vinyls look like this on the car:

but the main reason I'm showing you an unwashed, and desperately in need of "Original Black" on the plastics, car is that these wheels with the all-weather tyres are for the UK-Malaga trip.

and I already have some D 15" alloys with summer rubber in Malaga (previous pages), but I couldn't resist some 16s with good tread and nice brands on them. The black could do with a mild refurb, but good from a few yards:

Just as I was about to get them, the seller told me that the Hankook (the most tread; typical) was losing air so I put that one under my feet on the left front, exited the restaurant car park and went for a spin. It did look a bit flatter.

It was under 30psi, but so was the other front. A sensible person would have checked all this beforehand, but hey-ho. I've put them up to 35 with my 12V and will check again tomorrow. Might have to have a repair done, but the seller knocked £10 off an already bargain price so no complaints.

Unlike my summer D 15s in Malaga which have C-correct 185/55s, these are D-standard 195/55/16s. Cheaper (and more comfortable) than lowering springs. There's enough room, and they'll be used for straight runs to the beach rather than the speed bumps of French villages and Pyrenees twisties.

I know what you're thinking, "What are those hideous, Riiicer! things on the back axle?"
I hate how the rusty drums show up through spokey alloys and CBA with all that wire brush and Hammerite that more dedicated types would do, so I got these ebay drum covers some months ago. I just wish that (1) they didn't put those stupid "drilled and grooved" looks on that fool no-one and (2) with hindsight, I'd ordered them in black. If they really make kids point and laugh, I might take them off and find something else (still not going to wire brush).

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Tyres are holding the 35psi. Meantime, I toothbrushed, then sprayed with CarPlan's Orginal Black these SRi grilles

but, after lots of faffing on my back on the (down sloping) driveway, I realized that it would be quicker to take the bumper off than do the swaps in situ. Ironically, I've just picked up another white bumper (resprayed from blue, but done well) with SRi fogs and grilles, for £12.50

Anyway, I gave the Tour a hands-on clean and finally got rid of those vertical streaks from the rubbing strips. Could I find my hybrid carnauba-ceramic? Like hell, and all my other stuff is mild abrasive which would be no good for the ceramic. Had to settle (for now) on some garage lance-wax. Still, I did the wheels, discs, calipers with that stinking sulphur stuff, dressed the tyres a bit, and Original Black on the plastics to help lift the white a bit. Now, where's that damn wax?

D'oh! I forgot to black the rear door strips. An exercise in before+after.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This has taken me years. After I got a full Exclusiv interior, apart from the fact that the Tour refuses to let go of its rear bench (so I haven't put the leather in the back) I didn't realize the door cards on a Combo are like a 5dr. Don't ask why (obv, I'm an idiot) I thought they'd be like a 3dr so I've had black leather front seats and itchy, scratchy grey cloth door cards. You don't know how much this gets my OCD. The only Vx cards in 5dr leather are from an SXi+

I check ebay every night and a 5dr SXi+ for breaking or selling interior has come up 3 times in 2 years. All sellers have either insisted on selling the whole interior (and a four hour drive away) except one joker who wanted £70 for two cards, posted. Finally tracked down a pair for £30, an hour's drive from me. Not a bargain-bargain, but there's only so long I can wait.

They looked ok on collection, but I've scrubbed and fed them before installation. Still waiting for a half-decent day's weather for the growing backlog of tartups. I've also got a set of C Sri 16s in a lurid purple, but two of the rubbers are shot.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Disaster. The 3dr C leather door cards don't fit (I've had them in the garage for about 2 years) and now I find out the 5dr ones don't, either. They're about an inch not wide enough. So, apart from the £30 and the hour's drive and the cleaning and (unsuccessful) fitting time, it's the 2yrs searching and the knowledge that only scratchy grey Combo cards will fit in mine. :poop::mad::cry:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Disaster. The 3dr C leather door cards don't fit (I've had them in the garage for about 2 years) and now I find out the 5dr ones don't, either. They're about an inch not wide enough. So, apart from the £30 and the hour's drive and the cleaning and (unsuccessful) fitting time, it's the 2yrs searching and the knowledge that only scratchy grey Combo cards will fit in mine. :poop::mad::cry:
Fairly sure you could get them wrapped in leather. Might cost a bit but still, it'd be done then.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The black 16s are jolly nice, but the 55s rub a bit. I saw a set of C SRi with 195/45/16s in a pretty funky (and unfortunately flaky) purple a heckuva (but pleasant) drive into the north lakes. I checked the date codes and treads but one pair had terminally cracked sidewalls and the other pair were real Hoodafooks (I know most Chinese, but never heard of these) and one had a bit of screw bedded in but safely in a tread block. £30, so not a totally wasted trip.

I'd been looking out for some tyre bargains when another C SRi set came up. Late 2019 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 all round (PS4 is better but I don't think a 1.7DTi will find their limits) worth the £50 alone but they also have (black-sprayed, but easy to get off) genuine Opel centre caps, which I never see below £25 a quad. They are PINK!!! though. I shall do a wheel swap soon, as they are, and post up. On a white, glazed van, those pink wheels will make me look like an ice-cream seller. I shall get Teddy Bear's Picnic on my sound system.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Sounds like you have found some bargains there even if tyres are shot on some of them. We was seeing £20 per rim in scrap here recently without tyre on.
Pink and white should go well together.
Im a big fan of Pirelli P Zero Nero's on the 16" rim. Seems to give good life and grip in most weathers.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Yes, I have had 15" SXi alloys with all-weathers and 15" D alloys with summer tyres (the latter kept in Malaga) for some time which make sense, plenty of clearance and let me load up on luggage, but I wanted 16s for better looks on pleasure runs. The trouble was, last year, 15s couldn't be given away but 16s got competitive bidding with or without tyres. I don't know if it's covid or just the passage of time and 17 is the new minimum but I've suddenly found 16s can be had without much of a fight, in the UK at least.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Actually, I was considering purple rear and pink fronts. Keeps same tyre brand on the axle and could look better than you think.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
OK, I did a swap of all four. This is an indication of how 45s on the front and 55s on the rear would look. I'm bearing this in mind for the purples because one pair of 45s are fine (albeit a budget make) and 55s are much easier to source for decent partworns.

And now with them all round. I need to get the flaky black paint off the Opel centre caps.

It might be an '02 plate, but it looks like a '99. If you like it, "stop me and buy one". Enough of the ice-cream van jokes.

If interested, apart from the "doesn't look lowered now" change to the looks, a few other things after taking it down some country lanes. The bump-burr doesn't happen, so those 55s were definitely contacting when the road dips and rises. The steering feels lighter and more chuckable although the weight of the four black wheels in the back could be a part of it. Weirdly, I'd noticed with the black 55s that the acceleration seemed more leisurely and now it seems to seems to have its zip back. I wouldn't have thought that 1" extra diameter would make a noticeable difference, if any, but that's how it feels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just had a trawl through this thread, very enjoyable, nice journey you have been on the last two years.

I now have a condenser on my watch list incase my AC is knackered, will get the local place to pull a vacuum on it first.

If the planets align you will have to pop by for a social distanced brew, I'll admire the Combo and you can point and laugh at the Tigra lol.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks for reading and sorry I type so much but skimming the pics more or less does the job. I like the idea of a socially-distanced inspection of my car. I call it a "ten yard car" as in I've made an effort but I lack skill and suffer CBA when it comes to prep. Photos on here look great but the concours inspectors with the clipboards would savage me.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I tried, in the dark and rain, to lift my wheelie bin over my silver Focus before the refuse lorry arrived but dropped the bin. It wedged between the rear haunch and the gatepost like Dirk Gently's sofa. Finally yoinked it out and went back to bed. Had a look the next morning and it's going to take more than T-Cut and an old T-shirt to get those scratches out.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Also, I still keep watches on CDTi rad, IC and condenser bundles that come up used. There's one in Lincoln on £29 that hasn't sold for ages. If a Tig one does come up, they'll likely be glad of an inquiry. If it says "collection only" talk them into using Parcelfarce or Parcel2Go - it worked for me and only cost a few quid.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Part-worn tyres? Why not just get new tyres? They're not that expensive. Mine aren't exactly Michelins but I've had them two years with no issues, they're great in the rain and they were only £38 each. Plus there's a certain amount of peace of mind when all four tyres are new and the same.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Part-worn tyres? Why not just get new tyres? They're not that expensive. Mine aren't exactly Michelins but I've had them two years with no issues, they're great in the rain and they were only £38 each. Plus there's a certain amount of peace of mind when all four tyres are new and the same.
Not gonna lie, I genuinely don't remember when I last bought a brand new tyre!! I had an advisory 2 years ago (strangely they missed it last year) for low tread on one, quoted £45ish for a new tyre but I found a set of SRI's with matching Nexens (I think) all round for £100 with 6mm+ on them all, no punctures,cracks or bulges. Every time I need a tyre, I search for alloys!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts