Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Fair enough, I guess on Corsas there's so many being broken and so many wheels for sale it's probably not a far stretch to be able to find decent tyres used.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
That's pretty much how it is. When I bought the Tour and four of the five alloys were shod in old cardboard, I paid £160+ fitting for a new quad of Nexen 4Seasons and they're £60/corner now. A set of alloys with decent summer rubber just for Malaga were a pittance and, similarly, those PINK!!! (just been round to JB Motors and Martin had a giggle) alloys probably put people off but can't argue with a late-2019 set of Mich PS3s for £50 and no ache of fitting and balancing - just an hour with the hydraulic and the 12V impact wrench.

When I see partworn 2016 Hoodafooks for £20 each and factor in £15/corner to have them fitted, that really doesn't make sense but wheels+tyres (good ones) for small money seem to be pretty common at the moment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, I did a swap of all four. This is an indication of how 45s on the front and 55s on the rear would look. I'm bearing this in mind for the purples because one pair of 45s are fine (albeit a budget make) and 55s are much easier to source for decent partworns.
View attachment 35799

And now with them all round. I need to get the flaky black paint off the Opel centre caps.
View attachment 35800

It might be an '02 plate, but it looks like a '99. If you like it, "stop me and buy one". Enough of the ice-cream van jokes.

If interested, apart from the "doesn't look lowered now" change to the looks, a few other things after taking it down some country lanes. The bump-burr doesn't happen, so those 55s were definitely contacting when the road dips and rises. The steering feels lighter and more chuckable although the weight of the four black wheels in the back could be a part of it. Weirdly, I'd noticed with the black 55s that the acceleration seemed more leisurely and now it seems to seems to have its zip back. I wouldn't have thought that 1" extra diameter would make a noticeable difference, if any, but that's how it feels.
Every inch counts

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's pretty much how it is. When I bought the Tour and four of the five alloys were shod in old cardboard, I paid £160+ fitting for a new quad of Nexen 4Seasons and they're £60/corner now. A set of alloys with decent summer rubber just for Malaga were a pittance and, similarly, those PINK!!! (just been round to JB Motors and Martin had a giggle) alloys probably put people off but can't argue with a late-2019 set of Mich PS3s for £50 and no ache of fitting and balancing - just an hour with the hydraulic and the 12V impact wrench.

When I see partworn 2016 Hoodafooks for £20 each and factor in £15/corner to have them fitted, that really doesn't make sense but wheels+tyres (good ones) for small money seem to be pretty common at the moment.
I agree I bought my 17" Pentas for £80, rattle can refurb (£20) and 20 minutes to fit them, it was a no brainer!

Quick before and after photos :

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I've shied away from heavily scarred wheels in the past (not that yours particularly were) but a bit of effort and prep (which is probably why I shied) can make good as long as there's no buckles or cracks. The most recent ones I got aren't near-perfect like the SXi replacements I bought last year but only the purple ones are obviously scraped and flaked from a distance. You did very well to get 17s for £100 all in and with some miles in the rubber as a bonus.

I'm not sure I have the personality for the pink but I like the C Sri style and I'll most likely convert them all to black some day.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Going to the middle of nowhere for a crowd-avoiding walk is a regular habit, so I thought a Spot The Difference pic although I haven't done anything as such since the last. Can you work out what's changed? My local garage can; they giggle every time I turn up (clutch change for the Focus underway):

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Still rubber-hunting for those ;) . Preferably, I'd like good 45s which are a harder find but the turn-in, lack of graunch and lighter steering feel are worth it. I might settle for 55s on the back axle if the not-totally-bust pair of 45s are usable. I actually wish I knew the shade to feather up the purples - I like the look. The pinks (which Mrs Oz and pointing primary school girls seem to like) I'm still unsure about.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts