Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AFAIK, this hasn't come up in the last few years but please pin a thread if my memory's gone.

My Combo Tour has been resurrected after a long (>18 month) layoff and - apart from the non-functioning horn, that I'm sorting - I have a strange new problem. When either the sidelights or headlights are switched on (functioning fine), the dash doesn't light up, the odometer + mfd + CDR2005 and centre console lights all go practically blank (nicely lit up with headlights off). I can change radio stations etc - all seems to work perfectly well - but it all goes dark.

Is it possible that a dash light fail causes some sort of short and takes the rest of the interior console area out when it does?

The Tour has an MOT next week and, although this is no fail, it would be a PITA if I drove down to Malaga so any hints would be appreciated to help me DIY fix

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
you can go where z22 tells you, take the light control out in case it is a false contact, use a flat screwdriver to remove the glove box that has the light control under it, have two flexible tabs on the upper part, they hsces lever down and you take it out, then you take out the two screws that have the big plastic cover up to the center console, the pedal cover will fall off, and from there you already agree to take out the light control, if taking it out and putting it on you don't see improvement, if you open it inside, it is threaded like a potentiometer without apparent that you can touch anything or sand it, but to know if the connector fails, if it were a failure of an element, only one would fail, not all those associated with the regulated light system

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been out of the vehicle for so long, that just didn't occur to me :oops:. I was thrown by everything being as normal until I put the lights on (as they would, of course) and thinking of some short-circuit caused by a dud bulb. The Tour needed a good wiping around inside as always after winter to get rid of the mould spores and it's entirely likely I've swiped the wheel adjuster down with the cloths.

I'll get out there tomorrow and report back. What a moronic thread starter assuming this is the outcome, but it's just possible that someone on the entire www is as dim (terrible pun there) as I am and searches the web rather than their brain for the likely cause.

MOT for Tuesday. Martin at JB Motors tells me they keep horns in stock so, if that's the only failure, he'll replace that and it'll pass. Otherwise, he'll give me a lift home and then cost up what is needed to pass (hopefully not too much to be worthwhile).

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And you were right. I would try and defend myself by saying the potentiometer had only rolled back a little (more like an on/off switch), but it didn't even occur to me to try. Nice to have a potentially (another terrible pun in there) awkward problem turn out to be a no-worries. Thanks to z22se and jewels (who even sent me a WhatsApp to ease my mind) for clearing that up.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Least you got it sorted. It happens very often with a lot of vehicles.
I had it with a combine in the summer, the operator had set the screen back light to a very low level at night but in full sun light the screen appeared blank, it was hard to even see the screen to be able to re set it to day light setting again. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MOT inspection done. The non-functioning horn was not what I thought (water in the snail) but a poor connection that was quickly sorted - the benefits of a hydraulic ramp. The only problem was a rear brake light, which I couldn't check without help, so £46 got me another twelve months running. Considering it's been sat idle on a lawn for > 18 months and only had a three mile run to the MOT station today, that's pretty extraordinary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts