Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rite today when fitting my bulbs i checked over the oil water etc and then opened the oil cap, with a load of mayo crap in there, i dont know if its HG or not (pray to god it isnt).
well im not loosing any oil or water, and dont use my car much, when i do its not much. my dad seems to think it maybe cause i put redex in a while ago, i seem to think its the lack of use, cars preforming fine, no problems that im aware of, would there be any other symptoms of HG or is it lack of use?

Cheers:yes:

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hope so, if its just sat on the road for a few days would that cause some? or would i need to do little trips for it to appear?

·
Registered
211 Posts
go to a garage and get them to do a pressure check thing (cant remember what its called now...) but that will tell you straight away if hg is gone

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Have a look at the dipstick,if there's no mayo on it the headgasket should be fine. If you take the car for a good long/hard (ish) drive,it should clear up?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
my 1.0l has been stood around for a while ( october ) and only every so often actually gets driven, i thought it was the head on mine but its because its not been running, take it out on a long blast!

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look at the dipstick,if there's no mayo on it the headgasket should be fine. If you take the car for a good long/hard (ish) drive,it should clear up?
yer we checked the dip stick it was fine, nothing in the oil neither , just hope it is condensation, cant afford a HG job atm :(

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is a good read....I wouldn't worry about your headgasket,as your car isn't losing coolant/overheating!

The stuff under the oil cap (AKA mayonnaise) is an oil/water emulsion - they can and will mix given the right circumstances.

Here's some science...

When you switch off your engine in weather like we've had recently, ie cold & damp, condensation will from inside the cooling engine. When you start it up next day the condensation gets thrown around with the oil and the churning action of the engine causes the oil and water to form this emulsion over time.

However given a long enough journey the water is normally boiled out by the heat of the engine, but if the journey is not long enough the water can't boil away, and when you switch then engine off again more condensation will form, compounding the problem.

And this goes on and on, increasing the deposit inside. As it's not too runny compared with the oil it usually gets stuck to in side of the cam cover - which is what you've got.

Changing the oil will help, but they'll be plenty more inside the cam cover to redistribute over the oil cap.

To cure - remove cam cover and clean all the deposited crud out of the cam area.
Clean the engine with engine flush.
Replace oil and filter.
Go for a long drive to boil out any remaining oil.

The only way to stop it coming back is to make sure that every so often you go far a decent long drive and or change you oil more regularly than recommended by VX. You should be OK once the weather gets warmer/drier

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
This is a good read....I wouldn't worry about your headgasket,as your car isn't losing coolant/overheating!

The stuff under the oil cap (AKA mayonnaise) is an oil/water emulsion - they can and will mix given the right circumstances.

Here's some science...

When you switch off your engine in weather like we've had recently, ie cold & damp, condensation will from inside the cooling engine. When you start it up next day the condensation gets thrown around with the oil and the churning action of the engine causes the oil and water to form this emulsion over time.

However given a long enough journey the water is normally boiled out by the heat of the engine, but if the journey is not long enough the water can't boil away, and when you switch then engine off again more condensation will form, compounding the problem.

And this goes on and on, increasing the deposit inside. As it's not too runny compared with the oil it usually gets stuck to in side of the cam cover - which is what you've got.

Changing the oil will help, but they'll be plenty more inside the cam cover to redistribute over the oil cap.

To cure - remove cam cover and clean all the deposited crud out of the cam area.
Clean the engine with engine flush.
Replace oil and filter.
Go for a long drive to boil out any remaining oil.

The only way to stop it coming back is to make sure that every so often you go far a decent long drive and or change you oil more regularly than recommended by VX. You should be OK once the weather gets warmer/drier
cheers for that mate, that helps me too!

·
Registered
874 Posts
it's literally just condensation, 6 miles a day has caused mine to clog up big time. take it for a drive for 20 miles not using 4th / 5th gear at 60 soon clears it.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:yes: ok cheers for the help, put my mind at ease now, where an how do i fit a breather filter jay?

·
Registered
23,420 Posts
you can see it in this pic, back of the rocker cover (ignore the red and black circles :))

1 - 20 of 26 Posts