Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1198 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,101
Not much progress recently,
Installed the download panel for the dash/data logger.

Purchased an Aim lap trigger so I could use my friends track side beacon at considerably less than the £1000 Xap want for their offering.

added a small circuit to amplify the signal and output a single pulse to trigger the dash.

programmed another screen to show lap times as well as other info.

loaded the car into the trailer

and trundled off to Blyton Circuit for a shakedown.

Installed my un-tamed racing driver, some say he has Stella Artois for blood and Tony Southgates wife once ate his dessert! All I know is he's not the Stig....
First session he managed a couple of laps and came back in because of a smell, turned out the gearbox had belched some oil out of the breather so we jerry rigged an alternate system with a long piece of hose and a discarded water bottle which solved that problem.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,102
Third run of the day and as the wind died down marginally and the temperature came up the oil temperature warning came on so we removed the blocker that I had installed for road use as it was impossible to get the oil hot, another problem resolved.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,103
For the final run I decided to go out and mostly had the track to myself. Before the criticism starts I'd like to say a) I'm a crap driver b) I havent driven on track for 14 years. c) I've never been to Blyton before. d) I've never driven FWD on track before. e) I don't care, I enjoyed myself.

Ready to load up at the end of the day, still in one piece.

Apologies for the wonky camera and after sorting out the lap timing equipment I forgot to use it!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
"Not much progress lately" :grin:
I'll wait 'til a reasonable hour to play the vids, as my headphones are packed away. Back in Jan, you mentioned bonnet vents and, fwiw, a Z20R vented one in Poulton has been attracting no bids. However, I notice your bonnet (and wings) now has carbon wrap. Is that post-Jan? I don't think you mentioned or photo'd it previously?

·
Registered
26,902 Posts
What I would give for a "not much progress" like that lol

Love it. Looks awesome and goes just as well. Good to hear that sorting teething issues as well quite easily

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,106
"Not much progress lately" :grin:
I'll wait 'til a reasonable hour to play the vids, as my headphones are packed away. Back in Jan, you mentioned bonnet vents and, fwiw, a Z20R vented one in Poulton has been attracting no bids. However, I notice your bonnet (and wings) now has carbon wrap. Is that post-Jan? I don't think you mentioned or photo'd it previously?
There's no carbon wrap here my friend, that's all genuine carbon fibre and has been for five years, in most photos it does look like faded paint...

What I would give for a "not much progress" like that lol

Love it. Looks awesome and goes just as well. Good to hear that sorting teething issues as well quite easily
I have only done about two hours work on it since before christmas, in my book that counts as not much. After giving the car a once over yesterday there's a small list of changes to make but not bad for a first test.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
:facepalm:, my sincere apols - I have read of your many fabrications but I hadn't gone back that far and, as you said, it can look like matt paint in some pics. So, that exhaust tip - did you get it from Halfords or ebay? :beaten:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,108
Pulled the car out of the garage to continue the post shakedown once over. There was a knocking from the rear, this turned out to be a loose nut on the trailing arm which adjusts the toe so out with the strings to reset it.

and unfortunately the engine is smoking, number 1 plug on the right.

Compression is equal across all cylinders but i suspect 12psi of boost /270+bhp has done for the stock piston. Never mind, I wanted to do a 'step 1' engine before building the 'proper' one anyway :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,111
Started pulling the engine apart to see how broken it was, I removed the exhaust manifold, was very glad to see nothing had got out and damaged the turbo but cylinder one was oilier than I was expecting given the amount of smoke i was seeing.

None of the pistons show any signs of detonation or deformation

But I've definitely broken the stock piston, judging by these marks its broken/damaged the unsupported ring land area directly above the piston pin.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,115
It's only an engine and it was always going to fail, in fact I'm surprised it lasted this long. Two and a half times more power than stock plus flat shifting etc really hammers the bottom end. We'll soon be up and running again with an evolution one engine :)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I get that - different perspective with a track car compared to my ":?, I spent £20 on Helix Ultra - this shouldn't happen" expectations. Still, always nice if a motor exceeds the spec and handles more abuse than it could rightly be expected to. Unless one's itching for the next upgrade and The Sensible Half asks "but what's wrong with the old one?"

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,117
and The Sensible Half asks "but what's wrong with the old one?"
Not sure I have a sensible half... unless you're referring to my partner? in which case we have an agreement, she doesn't question why I need a new doodad or what one costs and I don't question the almost daily deliveries of shoes,bags, frocks, etc.

Talking of deliveries, part of my solution was waiting for me when I arrived home from work..

·
Registered
26,902 Posts
Not sure I have a sensible half... unless you're referring to my partner? in which case we have an agreement, she doesn't question why I need a new doodad or what one costs and I don't question the almost daily deliveries of shoes,bags, frocks, etc.

Talking of deliveries, part of my solution was waiting for me when I arrived home from work..

Haha we have the same agreement about the daily amazon deliveries!

Those definitely look like will help with the rebuild. Just looking to strengthen it over standard or go for more power at same time?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Yes, referring to house-sharers rather than multiple personalities. Mrs Oz has the same arrangement, except for the first bit. Like many non-drivers, she finds it highly annoying that I waste my money on vehicle excise duty. Even she would like that recent delivery of yours, though - shiny...

1101 - 1120 of 1198 Posts