Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1168 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,142
Yep 18-20 was the plan for this motor and that will probably be around the limit of the injectors that are currently fitted too. I cant run 'big' boost anyway as I need to keep the torque down around 310-320lb/ft, I cant afford to break that gearbox!

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Yep 18-20 was the plan for this motor and that will probably be around the limit of the injectors that are currently fitted too. I cant run 'big' boost anyway as I need to keep the torque down around 310-320lb/ft, I cant afford to break that gearbox!
Surely the sadev is pretty bomb proof isn't it? I like the idea of higher compression and less boost. But happy with the boost levels mine makes now! What size are your injectors? I'm on asnu 600s

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,144
The Sadev is rated at 350lb/ft and apparently the SEAT supercopa cars ran with more than that and they lived. But, if you mangle a crown wheel and pinion your looking at a £3k ish repair bill, similar numbers if you damage the gearset, If you damage the casings I suspect you're into a new gearbox as the st90 is no longer a current model so that's £20k ish. I deliberately fitted a clutch rated at 315lb/ft so I wouldn't get tempted to find the limit..
Astra VXR injectors so 470cc I think

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,146
So its been while since my last update... Basically I got the bottom end mostly built up, was having a tidy up and had a small accident, I dropped the short motor, breaking the corner off the block and bending the crank!

So I stripped the ,luckily, undamaged pistons and rods out and had to find another block and crank and have it machined and re check all the clearances.......
I then came to the next problem, early cranks have two flats that drive the oil pump like this.

Later ones have six flats like this,

The later pump bodies don't have the crank sensor bracket that I need, luckily the pump rotors are interchangeable, however somebody at GM decided to change the oil seal diameter to a different, dumb, size so the pump body was dropped off for machining to take the later seal.

I then built up the bottom end and fitted back in the car before I could damage it.

Then lapped all the valve seats and built the head up with new springs, seats and retainers

and dropped that back on the block

Because the head and block have been skimmed I checked all the valve timing (forgot to take a photo with the dial gauges on) found the exhaust to be spot on but the inlet cam was advanced 4(cam) degrees so I redrilled the gear ten teeth plus 4 degrees retarded, pictured here before I timed everything up

All back together, doesn't look any different to before.

We've been out for a session to bed everything in, no fluid leaks so should be able to start winding the boost up at the weekend :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,149
Bargain for somebody that bonnet.
Oh yes, there was a moment whilst I waited for the searing pain of crushed feet, when that didn't happen expletives aplenty.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'll be absolutely honest; if it were white I would be very tempted (mostly because my chip touchups are terrible but partly "hey everyone, I fitted a funsize intercooler to my Di" performance looks). Seriously, much as I love a bargain, it's getting worrying how many decent parts - larger ones anyway - cannot be given away. Bonnet, bumper, alloys, I've seen them go (or even not) at these prices and - medium term - that means no spares as people can't see the point in listing when Paybay leave you with 87p and having to sit in all afternoon waiting around for some bloke in a Combo to turn up.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,151
Fit the bonnet, wrap the roof black, go for the taxi cab look! I know what you mean about the parts, in a few years there'll be only knackered ones available and the prices will be high, but, if you go back to when I was a yoof there was no such thing as fifteen year old good spares.

On to todays progress..
Started with some cardboard to get the shape correct.

Cardboard patterns ready for making in aluminium

Let the aligami begin

Next I will polish the aluminium and use them as tools to make carbon ones.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,152
Polished the aluminium and put some shuttering around the edges

Bagged up ready for infusing.

Also have bought a good selection of ratios for the gearbox and a few spare parts.

These will allow me to gear for speeds between 45-58 mph in first and 110-150 in sixth.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,153
Air guides straight from the tool

Start trimming

Test fit

Bend up some mesh to keep rocks, wildlife, small children out.

Hold it all in place with wire and lollipop sticks whilst the glue sets

Should help with getting rid of the heat.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yep, looks great, too. Is your intention to suit the gear ratios to the track? Proper race prep. I struggle to motivate myself to replace the wiper blades.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,155
I probably won't change ratios for every track, but I will adjust to get it close enough for most. The main reason I bought them was the price, they've seen very little use and cost me less than a tenth of the new price.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,156
A small update. I needed to do something with the bulkhead closure plate where the gear selector used to go through so.
I removed it from the car and weighed it of course...

Trimmed it back to leave the flange and screwed it to a board

Filled and pattern coated the plate

Flatted and polished

Mould pulled and polished

Layed up and infused

Pulled from the mould

Trimmed and weighed, a 130g saving.

Steel hold down nuts

Replaced with aluminium, another 50g saved

and the plate fitted

Also I have been doing a little mapping but have had to order bigger injectors as I've run out of duty at 1 bar boost at 7200 rpm.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Love your carbon footprint. If I had the ability, this is how I would like to spend my time and money. I have my eye on something to (small-potato, no engineer, me) upcycle now that my Tour is almost exactly how I want it. Much more fun than something off-the-shelf, even if it makes more sense.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Fantastic work.

As your not so far away from me it would be amazing if you could teach me how to replicate a bumper and what materials/tools to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mr drew im in need of your expertise!! I’ve had an engine swap done on my zafira gsi and after it was done my car now won’t select anything other than 3rd which it’s stuck in!! The gearbox was fine before although the lever in the car was sloppy it worked I’ve taken the cables off and can manually move it back and forth but the knuckle to go up/Down won’t budge,do you know if anything could get damage other than the selector

It’s only nuts and bolts,don’t be afraid!!

1141 - 1160 of 1168 Posts