Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,181
The purpose is to reduce the engine capacity. Most forms of Motorsport set their class structures by engine capacity and if you have a turbo charger you have to multiply the actual capacity by 1.7. this means with the stock 1796cc you end up in the over 3000cc group so competing against 911s,m3s, imprezzas and lancers which have somewhat of an advantage over a fwd hatchback. The new crank gives me a calculated capacity of 2999.8cc hopefully levelling the playing field.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Ah, I did figure you'd have lower capacity unless you had bored out or something but I didn't get why you'd want that. Da Rules, of course; all makes sense. Would be fun looking at the Evo and WRX drivers on the lower podia while the bloke with the Corsa C sprayed them with cava, though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,183
Ah, I did figure you'd have lower capacity unless you had bored out or something but I didn't get why you'd want that. Da Rules, of course; all makes sense. Would be fun looking at the Evo and WRX drivers on the lower podia while the bloke with the Corsa C sprayed them with cava, though.
Many moons ago my brother and I had a 1400cc nova rally car. frequently we finished ahead of some very much more expensive and capable kit.

Not much done with Cecil except a bit more tweaking of launch control and my boost by gear settings...

·
Registered
26,903 Posts
Never knew that detail about cc when turboed, learn something new every day!

Launch control looking very rapid and doing its job properly. And sounds sweet as always

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Welcome to ccuk, Ray. Please post a new thread in Member Introductions rather than here, or perhaps moderator Andy-v can move it?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187
For a while now I'd been thinking about moving the engine oil radiator and ducting it and the gearbox oil rad together. The engine oil cooler wasnt causing any issue in front of the water rad and intercooler I was just after better packaging..

So armed with some cheap aluminium I set about it.

The gearbox rad sits directly behind. When I have some time I'll pull the aluminium panels off and replicate them in carbon.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Neat solution. I'm guessing the speed bumps by the local primary school are best avoided, or is the clearance higher than it looks from that angle?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,189
There's about 130mm clearance under the bumper the hose unions for the coolers are about 30mm above that. Iirc speed bumps are only allowed to be 100mm high.
The only road that leads away from my street has speed bumps in both directions, thanks to the morons that can't do 20mph around a primary school,so it has to clear them.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192
Its getting to that time of the year where its too cold to make moulds and the resins that I have need using up because there getting close to expiry... so I was moving Cecil and as I parked him up I thought 'how much does the handbrake weigh?'

May as well weigh the floor closure whilst i'm here..

A little grinding later and we had the constituent parts, the base could be lightened but it would require a pattern making to take the teeth and a new spindle which I cant make at the moment because I cant get to the lathe, bloody lockdown.

I can probably do something with the lever halves..

But the way the're formed doesnt make them easy to use so a little modification was required to the 'handle' end

and a coat of primer to stop the mould sticking to the filler

All prepped up for moulding

moulds made

Floor plate first

not a bad saving

Half a lever curing

Again a pretty significant saving.

Final assembly

so total 668G vs 1285G almost half the weight..So not worth the effort!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,195
NOT worth the effort? Worth it for the cool look alone. Save the mould and prepare for the orders to come in.
It does look cool, but it took forty hours to produce. Twenty hours initial prep and mould making and twenty for the final product. Hence not worth the effort.

This amazes me so much

What else can be lightened
The only things left, realistically, are replicate the doors In carbon and remake the rear undertray.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,197
Cant really get a good picture of the handbrake but its fitted and works..

Untrimmed carbon parts for the oil cooler mount/duct

The weight of the aluminium...

versus carbon

The carbon parts are much stiffer.

Assembled and ready to be fitted back on the car

and fitted..

There's probably not much of a weight saving compared to how the oil coolers were mounted, even with the shorter hose runs, but the weight is lower down and the ducting should make the whole cooling package a little more efficient.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,200
I have no idea on total weight, when things get back to normal I'll have to get the corner weight scales out.

1181 - 1200 of 1200 Posts