Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so I’ve had my MOT today. I still need to get my dipstick tube fixed, but what do you guys think of the results? And have any advice for me please? Thanks!

ps- The headlights only need a clean, so they’re fine. I just don’t really understand with the battery and the parking brake. If you guys also look at the advisories, the parking brake cable is faulty so I believe getting this fixed with fix the handbrake?
Or shall I just tighten it?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Were you told the lamps were just faded but the pattern was fine, or are you assuming that? It takes pretty yellowed and cloudy covers to fail. The original ones on mine looked awful and still passed, but incorrectly putting in the H7s resulting in the beam going skew-iff is very common on the non-projector headlights. I've had this twice out of 3 MOTs.

The parking brake is absolutely blimmin' awful in my opinion and I have it adjusted twice a year by the grease monkeys but it needs a gorilla pull within weeks of adjusting. Some people have no issues if they do an every 6k adjustment but if yours hasn't had one in yonks then it'll roll quite easily. Your battery might be missing its holding bracket and either the battery's just been plonked down or perhaps a bodge of wood shoved in.

The biggest must do is what reads like some welding required. If the metal is rotten where the seat belt anchor is, it'll just keep failing an MOT until it's properly sorted.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Only part that looks bad is the seat belt/sill. Is this down to corrosion or is it not fitted correctly?
Rest only look minor faults, new hand brake cables, clean headlamps and check bulb fitment/type, replace battery tray and paint rear axle.

·
Registered
557 Posts
handbrake cable job tends to be £80 from a garage but I don't know how many of the cables they replace. I bought the 4 piece kit for mine for £12, it's likely going to be the cable that runs across the rear beam that needs replacing but if you have the time and the skill it's worth doing yourself, there are videos on YouTube. Don't do what I did and accidentally dislodge something within the drum, my handbrake now sticks on because it doesn't disengage in the drum (I'll be tackling that next week)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all of you. Yeah they said the headlights need a clean but they don’t look extremely cloudy to me. Wednesday, I’m getting the sill welded which might need a lot of welding as it’s full of holes and just crumbles away. I’m also getting the drums adjusted or tightened so all should be good.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
If the headlights don't pass, don't get them to do it. It's laborious (at like £40/hr) but requires zero skill and minimal kit. 3 different grades of abrasive paper, water and a compounding polish if you have one.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quicker using a cutting compound for the lights, 600 grit, 1200 grit and 2000 grit paper to remove the clouding. Then buff up with a cutting compound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts