Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 07 corsa life 1.0, 32k on the clock. The problem I got is when moving off in 1st gear, the car shakes until the clutch is fully lifted.

The clutch cant be worn at 32k surely?

Can anyone help me with this?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hello, you have a Corsa D, then. You might find more info looking through and asking at the Corsa D UK forum. I'll just throw in my tuppence, based on a similar thing with my 2005 Renault Modus.

Is it only moving off in 1st gear, not happening if you move off in reverse?
Does it tend to go away once you've had the car moving a while? That is, it happens when you use the car first time that day, but if you visit someone or get to the supermarket after 20 mins driving, switch off and leave the car for a short while, it doesn't happen when you pull away from parking.
Is it more likely or more noticeable on cold, damp mornings than if your first drive of the day is on a sunny afternoon?

Because either the engine mounts are juddering around (which would happen almost every time you pull off) or - if your answer to those questions is "yes", it could be an annoying but not fatal symptom with your clutch. As I say, I noticed it with my Modus and feared a lot of expense but read something on the interweb. Around the mid-2000s, different materials were tried in clutches to make them more friendly to the environment and people working on them. The problem was that it seemed to really hold onto moisture on cold, damp days and give this juddery bite until either ambient warmth or 15-20 minutes of using the clutch in driving got rid.

My Modus is used in Malaga. I have no judder at all in summer, even after leaving overnight, because I don't get up early and it's already in the mid-20s or higher. However, by November it's pretty regular and for the first few stop-starts at lights or crossings it feels like the clutch needs imminent replacement but I've gone through 3 winters now and it's no different.

·
Registered
Corsa C 2004 z10xep
142 Posts
It’s called clutch judder. I would start by looking at the clutch casing and seeing if there is an oil mark. And also checking there is no gaps that you can see in between the engine and gear box. Also can be how you drive. If you keep doing quick starts a junctions and traffic lights. All puts stress on the clutch. Also check your fluid is above the clutch line feed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts