Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, my old C is now sold and while i wait for the E to be ready, Opel dealer gave me their "test/promotional car" 2020. Corsa F Elegance 1.5 turbo diesel. I have it for almost 10 days, so i thought it would be interesting to note down some things which are (obviously) a great improvement over the C (20 year difference between the models...) and some things which are well...worse than in C (yes).

The things i liked:
-overall design, it has nothing to do with the old model. New Corsa F looks much better and more "serious". Which is kind of to be expected - Corsa E was built on a 2006. platform

-automatic LED lights. They work perfectly, just set it on "auto" and forget about them. It will switch on and off the long beams on its own just in time not to dazzle other drivers. LED lights are great too.

-light in door pockets and middle console pocket. Something new to Corsas. They have just the right intensity, not to distract the driver and yet enough that you see what you need to see.

-infotainment is easy to use, and some car related things can be modified through it - all with animated explanations. It does not have integrated satnav, but it does support the Android Auto, which basically streams Google Maps or other compatible app to the infotainment screen.

-rear view camera, it helps a lot and also draws a panoramic "top" view of your surroundings as you move the car.

-traffic signs recognition. However it recognises only the prohibitory signs. It does not recognize the warning signs. Its a nice system but personally i found it somewhat redundant i.e. useless. Oh yes, it can be syncronised with speed limitator.

-collision warning. It will warn you to brake if you are too close to a car in front of you and your speed is high. Im not sure if it will apply the brakes if you dont. I didnt want to find out :)

-All 4 power windows. Good for those hot summer days when you want to get rid of the heat fast.

The things i did not like:
-absolutely criminal interior light. The LED is very weak (cant be adjusted), totally useless for the back seats, and very tiring for the eyes. If you have bad vision its better not to use it at all. What they were thinking?

-totally useless back seats for tall-ish persons. I dont know whether French people are really that small, or perhaps designer was Asian. Im around 184cm tall and im hitting the ceiling with my head. If the average height/weight male driver wants to make himself comfortable, the legroom on the back is gone. I had no problems with that on my C. They could have just eliminated the back seats at all. Why bother?

-idiotic power windows. Sometimes they go down with the 2sec press on the button, sometimes you need to hold the button all the way down, or they go just to the half. Each of four windows has its own agenda, and there is no way to adjust that. WTF?

-lane assist. It is just not polished very well. Sometimes it does not recognize the lines at all or it recognises just one of them. Also say for example you are driving 80km/h, there is a rock or branch on a road. To get around that rock you need to cross the middle line. If you dont switch the indicator, the lane assist will say no and forcibly steer you back. So you need to struggle with it to keep the car at the direction you want. Dangerous, right? The good thing is, it can be switched off. But you need to remember to do that.

-extremely high handbrake. If you want to make it tight, you will hit the armrest. I mean, WTF?

-space on instrument cluster is not used very well. The instrument cluster itself is digital LCD. But there is so much unused space on it. Why cant i have board computer, lane assist and speed on one screen? Instead, to check the trip or consumption i need to cycle through menus to get there. Stupid.

-General wobbliness, and lack of attention to detail. The interior plastics and "leather" feels quite cheap to me. The doors on the left side are not at a same height. The "Opel" sign on the back door is wobbly. The window is wobbly. There is exposed, unprotected (!) wiring in the engine bay. And what do you do if a bolt in a front door hits the A pillar, and you forgot to forsee that in a design phase? Just make a hole in the A pillar and put a sticker over it. Front door, when opened somehow hits the stopper quite hard and whole car shakes. Peugeot, i guess.

The sticker

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Farewell GM, welcome PSA.

The AC is manual, but the direction control has push-buttons instead of a selector knob. Nice.

It will tell you when is the time for a coffee

The eyes. Even basic models come with traffic sign recognition system.

Plastic mount + diesel engine. It does not look very confident to me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Vauxhall sadly do not make cars anymore. Once the current Insignia has gone they will all be PSA with which ever badge you chose.
Had a Toyota proace van which is the same as the Vauxhall Zafira and the van now. Ok to drive but so many faults and the dealer can not back it up either, they had to hire in a Ford transit.
I would not want any PSA once warranty has run out! Hearing horror stories about all models at the moment. I'll stick to my old Corsa C until they get forced off the road.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks for taking the time, MarkoM, I always like to rummage around a new model and had a lot of opportunities when I used to hire cars whenever in Malaga. The auto wipers and headlights were available on quite a few superminis and I loved it in Malaga where heavy rainfall can appear and disappear suddenly, just for seconds, and there are a lot of tunnels where the road just goes straight through some overhanging rock. The 2004-2008 Modus had it on Privilege and Initiale spec but mine in Spain is a Dynamique. I have seen a 1.6 Privilege here for £500 and I (if I were as handy as you) am so tempted to buy it, drive it down and raid it for parts. Actually, it would be quicker to just LHD the 1.6 (mine's a 1.4) and swap the VINs, hoping no-one will notice.

I hired the new Nissan Cashcow in May, which has a lot of modern aids and I disliked or had no desire for them. The electronic handbrake and clutch control thought it was better than me, which it isn't. The "too close" warning didn't - on the Nissan - actually take over the braking, as I found out when someone on the motorway decided to go from 110-50kmh for no apparent reason. Its infotainment/reverse parking HU was exactly like ebay's cheapest. That F's equipment is a bit better, but very slapdash compared to the latest Fiesta or Ibiza. The build quality is pretty shocking - worse than my 1988 R5 I bought new - and I would have handed that straight back to the dealer. I read recently that customer satisfaction for new Corsa owners has dropped from high-middle (E) to near the bottom (F), alongside the other PSA superminis.

I think the door handles and window switches are the same as the 2006 D, but I recognise my 2005 Modus switchgear (which is shockingly unreliable) in modern Renaults.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Today i received Corsa E. Visually inside and outside it is no match for a new Corsa, it just looks outdated. More like a 2nd face-lift of Corsa D rather than all-new model.
But on the other hand, the build quality is much better. Nothing shakes, nothing wobbles, everything is firm and on touch, it feels much better made. You can tell it is made to last-sadly the same cant be said about new Corsa.
Apparently, unlike PSA, GM took quality control more seriously. I did hear stories about PSA, but i was hoping they would at least maintain the same level of quality, not downgrade it.

@oz,

Supermini is a funny term, compared to 20year old cars, superminis of today are more like supermaxis :D
About LHD conversion... not only the issue with VIN, but also the steering rack, lights, dashboard, seats... perforations in a chasis. Pretty much impossible. Better raid it for parts and retrofit what you can. Or just register the RHD? Some 6-7 years ago there was a RHD VW Polo from UK selling cheap that i wanted to buy, and to make it road legal i had to change all the lights and mirrors, and have it certified-the price of which was even higher than the price of a car itself. Finally it was not worth it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Don't get me started on PSA 😂

Oil pump issues, electrical issues and also body corrosion issues all well within the warranty periods.

A friend has 2x 208 models with oil pump failures well within the warranty period and well under the warranted mileage limit. We are currently trying to source two crate engines as PSA are denying replacement stating that the service schedule is wrong... The cars were both given a full 1000 mile service (standard procedure for his business) and full front to rear tight check. Then serviced @10,000 intervals (book is 15,000)

Beggars belief how we can't get PSA to admit the problem.

For the record both engines are seized solid we have been waiting that long for the resolution to the case. They want the customer to pay the labour charged to fit the engines 😩 not on my watch 😁

Anyway I really hope you enjoy the vehicle

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyway I really hope you enjoy the vehicle
If you mean the F, it was just a temporary car until the Corsa E i bought was ready (they had to change the oil and filters and do some cosmetic work on it). Anyways, the joy is over because today i returned it back to dealer and they gave me my E.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The Corsa E was the second facelift to the Corsa D only it was not advertised as that.

@Cal844
It would seem you are having the same troubles we had with Toyota regarding warranty, we had a lot of trouble getting any work done in second year and after that when they all had 100,000 mile 5 year warranty. Not much was covered. gear box failures, engine failures, electric failures, Flywheels exploding, Recall work not being done as parts not available of 4-8 week wait without van.
Some of it was the dealer but most down to PSA build quality. So much so the boss switched suppliers. Used to buy 20+ vehicles each year now they used VW but looking to go to Ford as VW was proving to be to costly to run and of similar quality to that from PSA.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Toyota used to be a good quality brand..
"used to be"
Like all the rest it's sold out to sharing other brands vehicles.
I have no idea what car I would go for next should I buy a new/newer car. They all seem to be getting so unreliable and look so Meah🙄, Very much doubt it would be a Vauxhall/PSA though. 😭

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"used to be"
Like all the rest it's sold out to sharing other brands vehicles.
I have no idea what car I would go for next should I buy a new/newer car. They all seem to be getting so unreliable and look so Meah🙄, Very much doubt it would be a Vauxhall/PSA though. 😭
I was thinking Golf 7. But for the price of 5-6 year old G7 1.6TDI i got (almost) brand new Corsa E.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
@oz,

Supermini is a funny term, compared to 20year old cars, superminis of today are more like supermaxis :D
About LHD conversion... not only the issue with VIN, but also the steering rack, lights, dashboard, seats... perforations in a chasis. Pretty much impossible. Better raid it for parts and retrofit what you can. Or just register the RHD? Some 6-7 years ago there was a RHD VW Polo from UK selling cheap that i wanted to buy, and to make it road legal i had to change all the lights and mirrors, and have it certified-the price of which was even higher than the price of a car itself. Finally it was not worth it.
"Supermini" is an 80s term; showing my age. I could reverse my Renault 5 (and Bertone X1/9) up my 1930s driveway very easily but the Focus and Combo Tour is a sweaty exercise with the sound of the hedge scraping the ceramic coating off the paint. But, in the R5, we sat knees together and elbows tucked or I couldn't get to the handbrake and gearstick.

Just raiding that UK Privilege for the toys and goodies to put into my ES-Modus makes more sense, but it has other things that I would hate to give up. The 1.6 has more torque (the 1.4 has 98hp but the gears have to be used "think ahead" to maintain progress and it sounds more frenetic >3.5k revs) and the UK car has a moonroof. Not a popular option in Malaga, but there are plenty of months other than August when I'd enjoy it. The steering rack and pedal swap would probably be less work but, in truth, I'm not up to standard. Spain makes the importation of any car bureaucratic and expensive to favour domestic sales, so I am lucky that my Combo Tour was first registered in ES; this apparently will make the transfer easier.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't understand why V.A.G. cars hold their price so well, when you look closely at them they are no more reliable than any other brand and offer no more comfort.
With my old 2004 Corsa SRI only having done 25,500 miles now it should last me until they get forced off the road if I keep it serviced. Never been into loads of driver aids as I see them as taking away the ability and experience of driving.
There are not really any real "supermini's" about new anymore. They are all rather chunky and obese, not like the ones from the 80's, Nova GTE, R5 Turbo, Mini Cooper S, Polo G40, Fiesta XR2i.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I never read a better description of todays superminis. Chunky and obese! They are big outside but still cramped inside. One of the stupid things in Corsa D and E is the deep dashboard. You can almost lay your whole arm, from the middle section of the dashboard to the windscreen. Probably they could not do it otherwise but still...

Edit: i think VAG's hold their price because of (1) legacy, (2) alleged German quality for the relatively affordable price.

Where i live, G1, G2 and G3 to some extent are known for their durability and "survivability" of most careless drivers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Never been into loads of driver aids as I see them as taking away the ability and experience of driving.
They are like toys. Fun to use for the first time, but finally you realise you can do without them. The only two things i will miss are auto-headlights because with manual lights sometimes i forget to dip the beams so the other drivers get a bit angry. And anti-dazzle rear view mirror (thinking about retrofit...)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sat nav is the only driver aid I use now. Get close to where I need to be then turn it on.
The Toyota had a lot of driver aids, Auto dip headlights were so slow to react same with auto headlights so had it disabled. Could reach cruise control leaver as it was tucked behind steering wheel so you had to take hand off wheel to reach it, auto wipers just kept going soon as you got a fly or dirt on the screen, auto stop/start well that was a right joke. some times it worked but mostly it wouldn't restart or it wouldn't switch off at all and you walked away after locking van and it started up again with key in your pocket! Might have been due to French build quality but it put me right off. Then anti roll back idea must be the worst thing ever though, driven loads of vehicles with it and I can not get used to it. Even worse to drive with if your towing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Auto headlights on a new Corsa work suprisingly well and react just in time. It also adjusts instruments/infotainment light automatically, but that did not work so well at times. Start/stop as well, it was just a little annoying at traffic jams. Dont know about rain sensor, there was no rain to test it.

About anti-rollback, i believe you mean hill-holder. Perhaps useful feature for new drivers.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I had some mid-2000s cars (a Nissan Note, can't remember the others) with auto lights and wipers which was very handy in the circs of Malaga (I'm always forgetting to turn off headlights coming out of those tunnels). Stop-start is a drag in backed up queues but did stretch the fuel out and one of the cars had a disable button. I had the new Fabia for a while and (a good sign) I didn't realize it had hill start until I read the blurb. I tried it, to see if it worked (it did) but it's a weird thing to drop the handbrake without first holding the biting point. The Cashcow's version was awful, though, and lurched me across lights even on the flat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cashcow...it took me some time to realize you meant Qashqai, then again took me some time to realize you mispronounced it on purpose.😆

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hill holder is the same.
I don't think new drives should be allowed any driver aids when learning or for the first couple of years in case they ever have to drive a car without them.
The test standard in UK is so low now all the basic car control maneuvers are not taught or tested! Gave my nephew some lessons a couple years back and he didn't have a clue after 10 driving lessons with an instructor! He was ok once moving but couldn't manage the basics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts