Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

4921 - 4940 of 4963 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm too noob and unskilled (on the track and in the garage) to say much, except you have made a tasty and tasteful Corsa, there. Chapeau.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Also (the pics weren't up here at the time - I didn't see it in the links) congrats on your ability to get assistance. I think my 20 y.o. son once waggled the passenger side mirror adjuster for me, but that's about it.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,925
Also (the pics weren't up here at the time - I didn't see it in the links) congrats on your ability to get assistance. I think my 20 y.o. son once waggled the passenger side mirror adjuster for me, but that's about it.
There's such little time, I have to combine 'daddy/ daughter' time, with 'car time'!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,926 (Edited)
I figured I better update you all... I've never been happy with the way my car drives, so bit the bullet and decided to take it to Rabbid to map it.

So in preparation I binned off the DV26 dump valve and switched it for a Turbosmart kompact recirc valve. This means having an outlet welded into my intake pipe. I also had some leaky welds sorted too:
Turbosmart recirc valve

Fitted a new more compact air filter
Turbosmart recirc valve

All fitted:
Turbosmart recirc valve

Turbosmart recirc valve

My gosh I love it so much! No more chav noise and a much smoother shift!

On to mapping.. previously the car was mapped on TPS with boost compensation. It's now mapped on MAP sensor. And after finding all sorts of errors in the original map (including no battery voltage compensation set for fuelling, and the boost control solenoid running at only half the hz it was meant to) it's done and it's a beaut to drive! And it's more fuel efficient!

Mapping!

Mapping!

Mapping!

Mapping!

And the all important figures! It gained 40lbft mid range and 5bhp top end. Now hitting about 1.6bar mid range then tailing off..
Mapping!

Mapping!

And typical, after all that above, it turns out my forge actuator won't even hold 2psi... so that was all on the boost controller. I've just invested in a Turbosmart IWG-75 actuator with 10psi spring.. maybe it'll hold more boost now!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Much as I could use another 5bhp in my 1.7Di, the torque (once I could think in Nm) is quite an impressive jump considering it could already garrote an elephant. Must be pretty noticeable even when taking it easy.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,928
PICTURES UPDATED!

Much as I could use another 5bhp in my 1.7Di, the torque (once I could think in Nm) is quite an impressive jump considering it could already garrote an elephant. Must be pretty noticeable even when taking it easy.
Oh absolutely, the main aim was to improve driveability. My worry was it would drive better but could lose power. But to gain power and all that extra torque and drive better is a win win!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Definitely. I'm heading through the Chunnel in a couple of weeks. If you see a white Combo Tour rapidly disappearing in your mirrors on the M20, the hand waving out of the LH window will be me. Don't :icon_censored: yourself if the guy in the RH seat has his feet on the dash and his hands behind his head. My son's the passenger and he's always doing that (to my annoyance, but it's fun to watch rozzers double-take).

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,930
Definitely. I'm heading through the Chunnel in a couple of weeks. If you see a white Combo Tour rapidly disappearing in your mirrors on the M20, the hand waving out of the LH window will be me. Don't :icon_censored: yourself if the guy in the RH seat has his feet on the dash and his hands behind his head. My son's the passenger and he's always doing that (to my annoyance, but it's fun to watch rozzers double-take).
I'll keep my eyes peeled! I live in Ashford, so the M20 goes directly passed my town :)

What brings you over here?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'll keep my eyes peeled! I live in Ashford, so the M20 goes directly passed my town :)

What brings you over here?
I know it well. I was born in SE Kent, and most of my family still live there.
<----- As you can see, I split my time between the NW and Southern Andalucia, mostly using the fine services of our budget airlines. I bought the Combo Tour as a "drive down in the spring, drive back in the autumn" vehicle in May, and I pop in on mum and/or a brother as it's a mini-detour from the Chunnel. I knew I'd pass by Ashford on my way back so, unlikely though it is, I'd pretty easily recognize your C if it hurtled past my right. A UK plated Combo Tour with the driver on the left is an uncommon thing too so (without wanting either of us to smack into the back of an artic staring at every silver C/white Combo) a "hey, it's you!" wave might possibly take place if you were nipping to Maidstone or something.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,933
Nice, so a new actuator and more power to come?
Power delivery is a lot better. However i need to tweak the actuator and add a little more preload, as im not seeing any more than 10psi on high boost...

Plus the map needs looking at now. The only thing that may be holding me back from more power, is that i have the 0.64ar GT2860RS meaning the exhaust housing may not be able to flow the amount of air needed to hit higher boost levels. Do i want more power, im open, i dont need any more, and dont want to invest in another exhaust housing, as itll only lead me to investing in a GTX, but it it can now hold more boost to the red line i'll be well chuffed!

I know it well. I was born in SE Kent, and most of my family still live there.
<----- As you can see, I split my time between the NW and Southern Andalucia, mostly using the fine services of our budget airlines. I bought the Combo Tour as a "drive down in the spring, drive back in the autumn" vehicle in May, and I pop in on mum and/or a brother as it's a mini-detour from the Chunnel. I knew I'd pass by Ashford on my way back so, unlikely though it is, I'd pretty easily recognize your C if it hurtled past my right. A UK plated Combo Tour with the driver on the left is an uncommon thing too so (without wanting either of us to smack into the back of an artic staring at every silver C/white Combo) a "hey, it's you!" wave might possibly take place if you were nipping to Maidstone or something.
Oh good to know, well I hope your trip is successful! I'll keep my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Power delivery is a lot better. However i need to tweak the actuator and add a little more preload, as im not seeing any more than 10psi on high boost...
I thought it was peaking 18psi on high boost???

Plus the map needs looking at now. The only thing that may be holding me back from more power, is that i have the 0.64ar GT2860RS meaning the exhaust housing may not be able to flow the amount of air needed to hit higher boost levels. Do i want more power, im open, i dont need any more, and dont want to invest in another exhaust housing, as itll only lead me to investing in a GTX, but it it can now hold more boost to the red line i'll be well chuffed!
Whats wrong with the map? or is it just because you've got more boost again? IIRC the limit on the .64 housing is somewhere around 350bhp so you never know there may be some 'free' power lurking once the actuators on, anyway, you dont want one of those old fashioned GTX things, they've brought out the G25-550 now, Stainless housing, Marm turbines, ceramic bearings, integrated speed sensor mount, blah blah, I guess they are to compete with the borgwarner EFR's ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts

Whats wrong with the map? or is it just because you've got more boost again? IIRC the limit on the .64 housing is somewhere around 350bhp so you never know there may be some 'free' power lurking once the actuators on, anyway, you dont want one of those old fashioned GTX things, they've brought out the G25-550 now, Stainless housing, Marm turbines, ceramic bearings, integrated speed sensor mount, blah blah, I guess they are to compete with the borgwarner EFR's ;)
This a zlet progress thread?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,938

So on the prior map that was TPS based i saw 19psi on full boost, but that map was written about three years ago now - so the forge actuator may have detiorated since then.

Now, on the new map, it made 1.6bar (23psi) mid range (see graph further up the page) but it tailed off to 1.2/1.3bar (17-19psi) top end - which we thought was down to the exhaust housing now flowing enough air.

With the new turbo smart actuator i was only seeing 10psi - it turns out i hadnt set any preload so it was opening the wastegate too soon. This is now tweaked properly and im seeing 1.5bar +. Mapping is booked for the 14th November, so hopefully if it can hold 1.6 bar to the redline, i may see that magical 350bhp figure...

haha - funny man! Yes i can imagine Garrett are trying to compete with Borg Warner... On that note, have you had yours on the rollers?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
That all makes sense. No, not been on the Dyno yet, can't bring myself to spend the cash (I am from Yorkshire after all) when it's going to need doing again when I build the engine. Regardless of the power it currently has It's pretty ballistic with the new gearbox anyway...
2nd gear 34-54mph 1.7 secs
2nd gear 42-52mph 1 sec
2nd - 3rd 42-70mph 3.1 sec
Times were taken from when I pinned the throttle.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,940
That all makes sense. No, not been on the Dyno yet, can't bring myself to spend the cash (I am from Yorkshire after all) when it's going to need doing again when I build the engine. Regardless of the power it currently has It's pretty ballistic with the new gearbox anyway...
2nd gear 34-54mph 1.7 secs
2nd gear 42-52mph 1 sec
2nd - 3rd 42-70mph 3.1 sec
Times were taken from when I pinned the throttle.
Wow those are quick times! I'd love to see this again sometime!

4921 - 4940 of 4963 Posts