Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

4941 - 4960 of 4987 Posts

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,941
A few updates for you all.

I eventually got around to re-powder coating the boost pipes, nice and shiney now!
20190104_151813

20190104_155215

Last mapping session Richard said it still wasnt making the power he felt it could, and suggested i fit a stronger spring in the actuator. So, i t went from a 7psi spring, to a 17psi setup.. to see if it would hold boost higher up in the rev range!

20181122_113359

20181122_113508

20181122_113600

I am now a total convert to TurboSmart! Such great products!

On to mapping. it now makes 27psi mid range, tailing off to 22psi top end. Not massive top end gains, 10bhp, but over the original power, its gained 80lbft in the mid range.

So it now makes 335bhp at 7,00rpm and around 330lbft ar 4,500prm

We are also now maxing out the turbo.

I will admit, the car is quick enough - possibly too quick, if thats such a thing, It'll spin up in fourth with roads like they are today. I've considered winding it down a bit, but hey, you dont have to drive round foot to the floor all the time.

Proof:
20181123_124949

20181123_131502

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,944 (Edited)
Updates! Only servicing updates however. I've been driving the car pretty regularly and have a long list of jobs including powder coating the subframe and rear beam and under coating the whole car.

But the job in question. New disks and pads all round and a brake fluid change... the rear disks and pads were well overdue and the fronts had been skimmed once so I took the plunge to do everything..

All bled with motul RBF 600 fluid. A week later (last night in fact) I jumped in the car and found a nice brake fluid puddle in my footwell. So new master cylinder then. Has anyone changed their master cylinder, I want to go down a size to reduce pedal sensitivity. In short the brakes are so powerful and I want to dull them down so to speak, as this is the only car I cant heel toe. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
You want a larger master cylinder to reduce sensitivity/increase pedal force, not smaller. Its been a few years so I looked into this but my notes say the 1.8 already has a larger bore master than the other corsa models 23.8mm vs 22.2mm. Astra G's, maybe H's had a 25.4mm but I couldnt be sure that you could mate them to the corsa servo and I couldnt find any information on the boost ratio of the servos so couldnt work out if running an astra servo and cylinder would make things better or worse.

For cylinder information ATE, the brake component manufacturer, have an online catalogue with bore sizes, cylinder lengths, port threads etc.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,946
You want a larger master cylinder to reduce sensitivity/increase pedal force, not smaller. Its been a few years so I looked into this but my notes say the 1.8 already has a larger bore master than the other corsa models 23.8mm vs 22.2mm. Astra G's, maybe H's had a 25.4mm but I couldnt be sure that you could mate them to the corsa servo and I couldnt find any information on the boost ratio of the servos so couldnt work out if running an astra servo and cylinder would make things better or worse.

For cylinder information ATE, the brake component manufacturer, have an online catalogue with bore sizes, cylinder lengths, port threads etc.
Thanks for the advice and info Andy. So my point is it want more work, for example our Caterham 7 is non servo assisted, I want to go down this route. Is that what you mean?

Either way, I am more than happy with my setup, I just figured if it was an easy swap I would. If its major effort I'll stick a standard one back in :)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A larger master cylinder or going servo less with a smaller cylinder would do exactly what you want, a firmer pedal that's more easily modulated, but no, there's no easy swap i'm aware of.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,948
A larger master cylinder or going servo less with a smaller cylinder would do exactly what you want, a firmer pedal that's more easily modulated, but no, there's no easy swap i'm aware of.
Doh! Oh well. I dont want to overcomplicate it!

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,949 (Edited)
The corsa is now fully functioning again! New brake master cylinder fitted today, a nice new TRW item, the fit was perfect, and the job was surprisingly easier than i thought! I feel this was an underlying problem for a while, as the servo itself was half full with brake fluid, and based on the colour of the fluid we removed from the servo, it had been there for a while. So now, with that all clean, the brakes are better than ever!

Haynes manual out!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
:thumbsup:. I said I'd look out for the car on my way to the Chunnel but it slipped my mind. Back on the 10th, I guess it wasn't driveable and, if so, you wouldn't have wanted to be on the M20 and, if you were, I wouldn't have seen you. Every car in front felt like it was throwing a paddling pool at my windscreen that day. Glad to read of your fix.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Thanks, I aim to do the reverse trip (as last year) in early Nov. Whereas, in Spring, we arrive jaded by the UK motorway system and flop on (Holiday Inn Express Folkestone, this time) hotel beds late evening, in Autumn we stay somewhere in Pas de Calais and emerge from the Chunnel around 2pm. If it fits everyone's timetable, it'd be very pleasant to say hello and perhaps bet our life savings on a standing quarter. Must warn you - I've added an IC to the 1.7Di and might be over 70hp now. I get to 60 in the same year I started from 0, as long as it's not December.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,954 (Edited)
Hi lovely people... it's been a while, Happy New Year...

So since the last update here's whats happened...

Got a puncture, just a few days before i planned to take the car to Goodwood FOS, this then led me to refurb the wheels, as the paint was flaking so badly it let the entire car down...

So, i had them blasted:
[/url], on Flickr

Then freshly powder coated, the colour is RAL5004, its darker than i wanted, but its grown on me, along with two fresh AD08R's

Looks lighter in the sun:

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,955
So yeah, all was hunky dory, and then all of a sudden on my way home from work, blatting through some twisties, i started getting a strange noise from the turbo and no boost... So, took the turbo off:

This then led me to spending some money....

Oh hi, Gen 2 GTX2860R.... :p

Had to fit my original exhaust housing:

Then i had to refit the damn thing.... easier said than done, but it was pretty stress free:

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,956
This then meant more time on the rollers, so i went to see Rabbid of The Tuning Society:

Here's an overlay graph compared to the disco potato, you can see the GTX spools 200rpm or so early and builds boost quicker. It also makes 300lbft torque at 4,600rpm compared to 280lbft on the GT.. Top end however there isnt much difference in BHP.. The reason why, we have now decided a 2.5" exhaust is the restriction. Question is, do i really want a 3" system and more power..

Here was the final figure:

And then out and about:

It was even my daily for a week as i hit a deer in the BMW so this was in for repair :(

And here is the current engine look... FINALLY, fitted my @Mr drew coil pack cover - so happy with it!

showing off my new LED strip light in the car barn:

Still shines like a diamond!

and thats me up to date...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Tidy, tasteful and more zippy than an episode of Rainbow. Good job you didn't hit the deer in the C, I might have caught it in either Lancs or Malaga, depending on which direction you were travelling.

·
Registered
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,960
Tidy, tasteful and more zippy than an episode of Rainbow. Good job you didn't hit the deer in the C, I might have caught it in either Lancs or Malaga, depending on which direction you were travelling.
Thanks ever so much! There was a group of five or six deers, lucky it was only one I hit... luckily the car didn't come off too bad, new headlight wing Andy front bumper needed. I swerved enough it didn't go up the bonnet or take out the windscreen.

Always looks great. More power is just a bonus. And that coil pack cover just looks sweet

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
We have our mate, Mr Drew to thank for that! I know, I'd like more power as I'd love to experience 30+psi, but at the same time, I can top the box out in a stretch of road less than a mile long. So hardly seem so any point...

Want more power, yes, always. Need more power, possibly not.

I'd completely forgotten you had that coil pack cover.
Exactly, that - want and need! I'd still love to see yours, have you had it on the rollers yet, or are you still tweaking the map?

Thanks again for that cover, I went n dried it, and then re-lacquered and now it looks perfect!

4941 - 4960 of 4987 Posts