Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
4981 - 5000 of 5013 Posts

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,981 ·
My brother gave his 05 Sri a once over the other week and it's corroded in all the same places, So was Cecil when I was hacking lumps out of him. Kudos for attacking it on axle stands.
I guess an issue is, undr the sideskirts. for me, the Irmscher skirts bond on, so i had no way to remove or clean them, and only someone with OCD would remove skirts to clean underneath them!

Thanks mate!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Peps, in his threads, often mentioned that he'd like some side skirts but the rust trapping puts him off. Do what I do, drive it in Malaga. People there mostly break down in summer - having ignored that coolant leak too long.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would need it a lot higher, got a little bit tubby shall we say over the last 2 months. :rolleyes::oops::ROFLMAO:
Started a new project now but still using the Red shed until last week. Parked up for winter now (and i'm going to be unable to drive for next 2-3 months) :cry: She is pretty clean underneath anyway, only just gone past 25,400 miles last week. Not bad for a 2004 SRi on its 4 engine 😱🤪

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,984 ·
I would need it a lot higher, got a little bit tubby shall we say over the last 2 months. :rolleyes::oops::ROFLMAO:
Started a new project now but still using the Red shed until last week. Parked up for winter now (and i'm going to be unable to drive for next 2-3 months) :cry: She is pretty clean underneath anyway, only just gone past 25,400 miles last week. Not bad for a 2004 SRi on its 4 engine 😱🤪
Haha - that's what lockdown can do i guess!
Oh interesting, another Vauxhall? Not another corsa surely?
Yikes that is low mileage! So that 25,400 is on the shell? My shell has got to be on about 110k now.. Engine however has only covered about 18k since the rebuild.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Haha - that's what lockdown can do i guess!
Oh interesting, another Vauxhall? Not another corsa surely?
Yikes that is low mileage! So that 25,400 is on the shell? My shell has got to be on about 110k now.. Engine however has only covered about 18k since the rebuild.
Almost another Corsa, 36,500 mile Tigra B.
Oh and a vintage tractor 🤪
Yes the shell is on 25,400 now but current engine has done around 4,000 miles now and is coming out to add a few more unicorns soon as i'm fit enough ;)
20200627_165809.jpg

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,987 ·
Almost another Corsa, 36,500 mile Tigra B.
Oh and a vintage tractor 🤪
Yes the shell is on 25,400 now but current engine has done around 4,000 miles now and is coming out to add a few more unicorns soon as i'm fit enough ;) View attachment 35789
Ah smart - looks good! Plus its only just run in, with the body being on 25k, and the engine being on only 4k...

Like it!

So clean and shiny
Still love that engine cover. Just looks so right.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks, Brad!! :)

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,988 · (Edited)
Fair bit has happened since the last update, trying to think where i left off...

First thing i did after the underbody restoration, was booked in for a shakedown trackday at Lydden Hill:

IMG-20200802-WA0012 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

It was a shakedown alright, of six sessions i think i managed two in full.
Only small issues:
Lambda bung came out (sounded iike the exhaust was about to fall off)
It almost did, all downpipe bolts came loose
It was summer and the car got very hot!
Oh, and oil ended up coming out the gearbox breather...

Luckily all fixed, exhaust is now fitted properly with turbo blanket, and i lockwired the bolts.
I've also invested in a bunch of asnu fittings, and will have Dave make a catch can, that catches both cam cover gasses and the gearbox vapours too.

My rear view yotube vid from the last session:

Some pics from the day...

Note, sideskirts not fitting along with arch spats

IMG-20200802-WA0016 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

IMG-20200802-WA0017 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

IMG-20200802-WA0022 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

IMG-20200802-WA0032 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20200801_143141 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20200801_143209 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20200801_143428 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20200801_154959 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

My mates R53 mini was definitely quicker in the corners... so this highlighted my old faithful suspension setup was maybe due for an upgrade

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,989 ·

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,990 ·
Following the track session at Lydden Hill i had a few things to sort, firstly the suspension...
I treated myself to some H&R Monotube coilovers, a good and trusted friend of mine said these are an upgraded version of Bilsteins B14's plus i dont know anyone who has them, so figured why not..
H&R Coilover fitting, with custom springs by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

Fitting!

As owning coilovers was new to me, i wound them all the way down, for scene points!
20201003_141431 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20201003_141316 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20201003_141253 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20201003_141220 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20201003_141203 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20201003_141151 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

After enduring the scrubbing for the one mile drive to take photos i swiftly raise it up and took it to Dave, of Enthuse Engineering to set it up!

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,991 ·
This is when i went down a bit of a rabbit hole... I can imagine most people fit coilovers, set the ride height and enjoy..

Well, not me..

Took it to Dave to get it set up for handling.

First observation, something i am sure @Mr drew knows all too well :unsure:

Rear spring uncompressed:

and compressed:

So i contacted H&R, their first response was, i had wound the adjuster too high, they also tried to say my poor fitting made the springs coilbound... After further research it turned out this is 'how they are' the same spring rates as Bilstein's B14 kit. 257lb front, and 286lb rear...

The setup was that poorly specced, that the dampers were 10mm into the bump stops without me even sitting in the car! H&R assured me the damping of the damper wont be sacrified as long as i stayed within 20% +/- of the original springs.

So, two months, and two sets of front springs later.
Custom 340lb 'Coil Spring' rear springs, and off the shelf 300lb Faulkner front springs.
Bump stops set - droop correct. It's been geo'd too - but only the front, as i need new camber shims for the rear, and new tyres. Once i have these, we can complete the geo, along with corner weighting:

New Springs!

Rears:
Left: Coil Spring brand custom spring
Middle: H&R progressive spring
Right: Irmscher/ Bilstein original spring

Much, Much better

Before:

After (this spring was changed for one that was even longer - for more travel)

Really excited to take this round Brands Hatch next month, feels so well setup now!

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,992 ·
The final job, from the under body restoration was a visit to the bodyshop...

Jobs completed:
Front bumper resprayed
Front arches resprayed
SIlls painted
Irmscher skirts painted and fitted
rear arch spats painted

Back from the bodyshop by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

As you can see here, ride height is perfect - front is wound all the way down too!

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,993 ·
This almost brings us up to date,

Slightly disappointed in the quality of the damper bodies from H&R - this isnt my daily, but has been driven a few times while salt is on the roads, but this shouldnt happen after four months and less than 1,000 miles, surely?

20210220_102307 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

Bought some speedline stickers - since refurbing the wheels, i have always felt they are a little too dark! The stickers help i feel!
20210221_165814 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

20210221_170601 by Nathan Drury, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My Bilstein coil overs went rusty quite quick but the painted fixed dampers have stayed yellow quite well.
The H&R front ARB is still nice and purple with hardly any signs of age yet after 6 years if not more.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yep, The impossibly short spring length required for the rear was one of the reasons I went IRS. Even going with custom length coil over dampers there wouldnt have been much travel available.
The fact the springs are all wrong and the front bodies so poorly treated they've corroded is a shame, not what you expect from a decent brand. The Gaz's on my mates track car have gone the same way and they've never seen a salty road.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,996 ·
My Bilstein coil overs went rusty quite quick but the painted fixed dampers have stayed yellow quite well.
The H&R front ARB is still nice and purple with hardly any signs of age yet after 6 years if not more.
Strange! I recently spoke with a mate who strongly recommends anything KW, i think you can buy there V2's for the C. But I'm not planning to go switching brands now!

Good to know your ARB is still strong. My rear dampers have yellow bodies, and they are fine! Baffles me the fronts are what seems like bare metal

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,997 ·
Yep, The impossibly short spring length required for the rear was one of the reasons I went IRS. Even going with custom length coil over dampers there wouldnt have been much travel available.
The fact the springs are all wrong and the front bodies so poorly treated they've corroded is a shame, not what you expect from a decent brand. The Gaz's on my mates track car have gone the same way and they've never seen a salty road.
If only there was a bolt on IRS setup!

Absolutely, and to be told 'that's how it is sir' when i explained the springs are too soft rubbed me up the wrong way!

I bought some ACF 50 Which ive smeared on the bodies to try and help longevity!

Either way it drives well now! Can't wait ro get it round Brands!

I've heard that about Gaz, but wouldn't expect it of H&R!

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5,000 ·
Been a while, so here's another barrage of updates:

First up, this - one off diffuser is done!
[

I havent share any progress photos of this elsewhere, CCUK exclusive:
[

I must admit the quality was a bit crap, and after offering up i had some doubts...

So, i enlisted my mate Justin to make my dream a reality:

This is the fin we cut off when we made the exhaist cut out:

And attached!

4981 - 5000 of 5013 Posts