Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

New Alloys - now my brake pedal judders and steering wheel shakes...

1K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  ozsubrosa 
#1 ·
I fitted some used Sxi alloys to my 2006 Corsa C yesterday and now I can feel my brake pedal juddering when I operate the brakes. The steering wheel also shakes a bit at higher speeds of 50mph+.

The juddering is only gentle - like a soft pulsation, so I don't think it's the ABS.
The offside disc retaining screw was missing, so maybe the disc isn't seated correctly?

I did notice the offside disc was squeaking a bit and sounded like the pads were rubbing on it constantly with my old wheels.

Discs and pads were changed for new ones about 15K miles ago, and upon visual inspection they look fine.

I think it may be disc runout, but any other advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Not really adding useful insight to the above (I rarely do) but just my anecdotal evidence - and I immediately suspected wheel balance + possibly an uneven tyre, perhaps exacerbating a mild brake issue.

I have two sets of wheels and tyres for my Combo Tour. The SXi alloys had new Nexen 4seasons and a balance and alignment; like being on a Japanese monorail. I also got hold of a set of D alloys on summer tyres (for peanuts, huge bargain). The rears have matching recents, a brand new front and I put the oldest (still hugely legal) one where my feet are. Vibration at 65-70mph through the steering wheel and it has "can't put your finger on it but definitely not quite right" feel. All of which vanished when I put the 4Season wheels+tyres back on for the trip back to UK.

Pretty sure a wheel balance will rid you of it, or at worst show up a dodgy wheel or tyre. SXi single alloys are so cheap, it wouldn't be terrible if one were a bit out of shape.

#12 ·
UPDATE:

So I took the Corsa in for a wheel balance and alignment today and explained the issues with juddering to the mechanic there.
One of my wheels was slightly buckled, the nearside front. They moved this buckled wheel to the back so that my front wheels were the best ones.
Had a bit of 'toe' as well, so they straightened everything up and now I'm pleased to announce that the issues I'd been experiencing have been resolved (y)

Car is at the garage for an MOT now - picking it up in the morning - I really hope it's passed because I've put so much time and effort into getting it fixed up...

#14 ·
Ditto, let us know. As I mentioned, with a bit of patient watching, a single used SXi alloy can be had locally for beer money. The only problem is that Corsa C owners must have been the world's worst parkers and most have scars. Still, on a long enough timeline, a good local one will come up and you know where your (now minor) problem is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.