Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking the rear bulbs on my Tigra I have discovered I have NO BRAKE LIGHTS!

Bulbs checked, all worked, suspected not as all 3 sets of lights couldn't possibly all blow, that's 7 bulbs!

Just going to check the fuses, could it just be a faulty brake pedal switch or something else?

Car had a disconnected battery when I got it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found code 0571 on the dash which I believe is the brake switch.

Could the fitting of the Cruise Control stalk have cause it?

The car did have InSP on the dash when I bought it so no idea if it was an existing fault.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the switch out, its faulty, I pulled the plunger right out and the brake lights come on briefly then go off.

In technical terms, its knackered lol.

Off to Vauxhall tomorrow. 🤨

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed the switch by taking it apart and found the worn terminals cleaned them up and it will get me home, will get a new one off ebay. 👍

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
When I bought the Modus in Spain, I realized the brake lights weren't showing (fortunately before the usual clue of an olive seller's Berlingo piling into the back of me). Those damn switches. I ordered a new one but meantime took mine apart and the spring had slipped and no longer acted against some plastic stopper. Fixed it up and still works, but it's a pretty unsatisfactory thing that something so important relies on what is like a McDonald's Happy Meal toy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought this would be a pain but it ended up quite painless, may have to do a guide for people.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The brake switches are adjustable. Can remember how exactly you adjust them but there is a plunger and outer guide you pull out on a ratchet with pedal depress and when pedal is released it resets the switch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one seems to be the other type.

Forgot to take a photo but it looks like this but with a white not red collar.

This is the issue I found, one rivet connector is clean, the other is pitted and scored.

I took it apart a bit more and found that plates counterpart in in the main section was also pitted, I cleaned that up too, reassembled and it worked.

As I mentioned above I will be replacing it regardless.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The Modus one was as z22se describes. The ratchet was a toothed plastic moulding and a hooked spring was supposed to do the returning. I can't remember the exact process either, I had no guide - just figured it out, but the plunger was unresponsive until I reassembled it. All a bit Fischer-Price but I suppose, however sophisticated, when it goes it's very difficult to know it has.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The red collar on the one you posted pulls out so it can be set to correct position once installed.
The collar is not always the same colour, I've seen red, white, yellow. grey and black ones. there is only 1 type of switch that I have come across though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts