Vauxhall Corsa-C Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a click, click, click just sometimes when turning left or right driving slowly but other times absolute silence when trying to recreate the problem by going full lock to full lock driving slowly.
Then randomly there will be a loud clunk and once or twice that has changed to a loud bang, bang, bang.
I checked both front wheels, no play top and bottom left and right and all the ball joints etc. look ok, but when I was spinning the left wheel by hand it would only sometimes come to a stop, but not a definite solid clunk, sort of a softish stop where it had some resistance, then I could push through that resistance fairly easily and it would spin freely for maybe half a turn or a full turn then come to a stop again, but never in the same position and never turning by the same amount.
I tried the right wheeel and it spun freely then I went back to the left and it didn't stop anymore, it just spun freely.
So it's just happening occasionally and it ranges from a quiet click to a bad loud bang.

Could it be a bad cv joint?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my drivers side shaft from J R for just £27.99 delivered, but that was in 2016 and their prices are higher now.
I've just ordered a new nearside shaft from partsinmotion, should be here Thursday.
I removed the large jubilee clip and slid the boot away from the outer cv joint (the boot is in good condition because I had to renew that for an mot a while ago) and the current CV joint looks pretty old inside and what grease was left didn't look great.
Annoyingly I'm just back from a 50 mile journey and it didn't click or bang once as I'm using the clicks and thumps as a way to diagnose the problem and to find out what can cause it.
I just remembered that for maybe months now I have had quiet clicking that I only notice just before I park when I turn slowly full lock to the right then reverse into my usual space.
(But I maybe only notice it then as I've turned down my 12 inch subwoofer that I have on loud for most of my journeys).
Hopefully the new driveshaft will sort it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update. Partsinmotion got the driveshaft here the next day even though I ordered it at 15:10 after their next day posting deadline of 14:30.
I fitted the shaft easily, very much helped by my recent very good decision to buy a second hand Ryobi R18iw3 impact driver for £50.
The wheel nuts come off (and go on) in formula one time and the two 17mm strut bolts were no problem on the highest torque setting.
I had to pull the old shaft in and out very hard quite a few times (there was maybe more than an inch of movement) and just when I was thinking about getting a crowbar or similar it came out.
Leaving my house, driving round the corner, all tools out, jacking it up, old shaft out, new shaft in, tools away, back in the door. 34 minutes.
I'll have to wait and see if this has solved the problem, as I mentioned in my last post there was no clicking or thumping during a 50 mile journey yesterday, but it really needed a new shaft anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts